Obama General Discussion... (Part 2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Diamond said:
Another bigoted view?

I would argue an article that starts with the following is indeed, prima facie, bigoted:

The politics of charisma is so Third World. Americans were never going to buy into it for long.

Are you implying that because his name is Mr Ajami that he's exempt from the charge of anti-black racism? How curious.

But, regardless of whether its a bigoted view or not, the above quote is pure Alice in Wonderland stuff. But, that's no surprise - neo-cons like Ajami are permanent residents of Wonderland: the beliefs they hold are demonstrably false and they operate in a realm of fantasy.

Most of the rest of the world believes, wrongly or rightly, that a significant proportion of Americans quite frankly do buy into 'the politics of charisma' to an extent that's very unhealthy, but funnily enough it isn't, by and large, Democrat Presidents who are linked to this - au contraire, it is people like Bush II and - yes - Reagan, that are most frequently cited as evidence for this thesis.

How quickly some forget 2003.

Dixie Chicks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those who forget are doomed to repeat the past, as is always the case.

I don't see what difference a photo would make, the cell phone user could just as easily walk out of the establishment and phone 10 friends and tell them that they just saw the president's family at X location.

Cell phone cameras are a fact of life now. To me, it really does seem like going too far when phones are confiscated from the public just because the Obamas arrive at a public place.

because they can be tracked as they go down the road from one location to the next -- it's effective 24 hour surveillance, and the children of a president are heavily guarded for obvious reasons, and they're both preteens.

i don't think that Obama wanted the cell phones confiscated. i think that it was a decision made by the Secret Service, who likely has good reason.

No, Obama didn't "create" the deficit, and I don't hear anyone on the conservative side saying that. Bush absolutely created the deficit. What I do hear legitimate criticism of, and rightfully so, is the great extent to which Obama has increased the deficit, and the fact that he has spent more money than anyone in history, and in such a short amount of time, no less.

Legitimate criticism from consistent conservative sources who also criticised the Bush deficit is certainly valid - and I agree with such criticisms.

You sure you want to go down this path? Because the people making this argument only seem to end up looking like fools, using the race card themselves. Did you hear what David Patterson said the other day? :coocoo:

I agree with you, certainly, that elements of the liberal left focus on race and identity politics to an extent that is unhealthy.

But when the most recent link posted is an article penned by a self-hating Arab who thinks that the 'politics of charisma' are only a factor in backwards, Third World countries inhabited by brown people - then, yes, I'd argue racism - or, possibly, post-colonial self loathing (pace Fanon Frantz Fanon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) is a factor in some reactions to Obama.

because they can be tracked as they go down the road from one location to the next -- it's effective 24 hour surveillance, and the children of a president are heavily guarded for obvious reasons, and they're both preteens.

i don't think that Obama wanted the cell phones confiscated. i think that it was a decision made by the Secret Service, who likely has good reason.

I'm not really sure how cell phone pictures would enable better tracking of his family in a public place than word of mouth via telephone calls (but it's very possible I'm missing something here, I'm entering day two: the headache, and I'm probably dense at the moment).

I just think that they have secret service with them at all times, and that should be sufficient without having to take away cell phones. That said, in the grand scheme of things, either way, it's not a huge deal, there are far more pressing things for the nation to be concerned about at this point.

I haven't see a word from you before about the deficit. I didn't see a word from you about the deficit during the Bush years.

Sorry financeguy! The article piqued my interest and I put it up.

Of course administrations are interconnected and Bush handed over a deficit of more than $1 trillion.

But it's no surprise the White House's deficit projection came in much lower than CBO's...around the same time the White House was pushing a controversial $800 billion stimulus, cap & tax, and health care overhaul.

They should be proud of themselves... A new low for being uninformed and disrespectful at the same time has been hit.

Should we be giving McCain a pass? He was great in this clip, he said the right thing and he ignored the idiots in the crowd, but he's saying "let's be respectful" of the president when his tactics during the campaign last year were at times quite disrespectful of Obama. His convention last year was one of the most vitrolic and sickening political events I've ever seen, and he implicitly endorsed every speech given at that convention by not vetoing any of them. You think he didn't know the gist of what Giuliani and Palin were going to say there? Anyway, I'm straying from the topic. Yes, the people in that crowd appeared to be quite stupid and making asses of themselves.

McCain was not the same McCain we had seen in the past. I think he lost a lot of respect from moderates and independents because he allow his party's tactics to take over his campaign. Unfortunately he's lost a lot of respect from the kook right as well for being someone that's been willing to compromise and reach across the aisle.

McCain was not the same McCain we had seen in the past. I think he lost a lot of respect from moderates and independents because he allow his party's tactics to take over his campaign. Unfortunately he's lost a lot of respect from the cook right as well for being someone that's been willing to compromise and reach across the aisle.

cook right?

these guys?

killgrill.jpg

Should we be giving McCain a pass? He was great in this clip, he said the right thing and he ignored the idiots in the crowd, but he's saying "let's be respectful" of the president when his tactics during the campaign last year were at times quite disrespectful of Obama. His convention last year was one of the most vitrolic and sickening political events I've ever seen, and he implicitly endorsed every speech given at that convention by not vetoing any of them. You think he didn't know the gist of what Giuliani and Palin were going to say there?

Have you seen any of the Democrats conventions and what they have said about the Republican opponent in the last 30 years? Just look at what Democrats have been saying about George Bush since he decided to run in 1999. Would you call that respectful?

They know how much you won, period. So you will be taxed.

Yes, of course, initially. BUT after that, next year, they cannot prove what you still have and what you may have spent, lost, given away, had stolen, etc. There is NO WAY to hang a certain income on you when it's only in jars and there is no paper trail.

Yes, of course, initially. BUT after that, next year, they cannot prove what you still have and what you may have spent, lost, given away, had stolen, etc. There is NO WAY to hang a certain income on you when it's only in jars and there is no paper trail.

But then it's no longer income, so of course you don't get taxed. You don't get taxed on how much you have, you get taxed on how much you make. So basically you're just saying you won't reinvest?

Not smart, but to each it's own. :shrug:

The way I see it, if I reinvest, I'm going to lose more in taxes than I would make in interest, and there's always a chance the investments may fail and I'd lose everything. Jars are the best option for me, and yes I am serious. I don't trust the financial system. Anarchy!

Just look at what Democrats have been saying about George Bush since he decided to run in 1999. Would you call that respectful?

Ah, diddums, bad Dems insulting the Prezznit, how dare they. :laugh:

I'd call it far too bloody respectful, actually. Democrats largely allowed themselves to be cowed while Bush was in office, at least post 911. Within the Democrat party, during the 2002-2005 period, only people like Howard Dean and John Conyers were telling the truth about the Busch regime - and people like you called them far left kooks. Most of the most trenchant critiques of the Bush administration policies during that period came from within the Republican party - from people like Ron Paul, Lincoln Chaffe and Arlen Specter - and people like you called them terrorists.

Ah, diddums, bad Dems insulting the Prezznit, how dare they. :laugh:

I'd call it far too bloody respectful, actually. Democrats largely allowed themselves to be cowed while Bush was in office, at least post 911. Within the Democrat party, during the 2002-2005 period, only people like Howard Dean and John Conyers were telling the truth about the Busch regime - and people like you called them far left kooks. Most of the most trenchant critiques of the Bush administration policies during that period came from within the Republican party - from people like Ron Paul, Lincoln Chaffe and Arlen Specter - and people like you called them terrorists.

Well, Howard Dean at least is actually to the right of some people in this forum. I'd vote for Howard Dean in two seconds over someone like Ron Paul who lives in the 18th century.

(AP)

BOISE, Idaho — An Idaho Republican gubernatorial hopeful insists he was only joking when he said he'd buy a license to hunt President Barack Obama.

Rex Rammell, a long-shot candidate slated to run against incumbent C.L. "Butch" Otter in the May 2010 GOP primary, made the comment at a Republican rally Tuesday in Twin Falls where talk turned to the state's planned wolf hunt, for which hunters must purchase an $11.50 wolf tag. The hunt is due to begin on Tuesday.

When an audience member shouted a question about "Obama tags," Rammell responded, "The Obama tags? We'd buy some of those."

Rammell told The Associated Press Thursday he sees no reason to apologize for the comment because it was just a joke.

"What I would say to all my Democrat Idahoans: Take a deep breath and relax," he said. "We're not going to go out and hunt Obama."

He also told the Times-News newspaper, "I would never support him being assassinated."

After Rammell's comment was published in the Times-News, he said one person sent him an e-mail indicating he would ask the FBI for an investigation.

Threatening the president can be a felony punishable by five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

"I'm probably safe," Rammell said. "I'm not the one that started the whole thing."

Debbie Dujanovic Bertram, an FBI spokeswoman in Salt Lake City, said the agency couldn't comment on whether it was investigating or if it had received a complaint.

Democratic Party Chairman Keith Roark said Rammell comes from the far right of the GOP, but that's no excuse for his comment.

"Rex Rammell is pretty shrill, and I don't think he represents the mainstream of the Republican Party by any means," Roark said. "But I think the Republican Party in this state and elsewhere would be well served by making it clear those types of comments are very inappropriate."

Officials with the Idaho Republican Party in Boise didn't immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

Rammell, a former elk rancher and unsuccessful 2008 U.S. Senate candidate, gained exposure in 2006 when the state ordered domestic elk be shot after they escaped from his ranch near Rexburg.

Rammell isn't the first Rexburg resident who has drawn attention for making an anti-Obama comment. In November 2008, second- and third-grade students on a school bus there chanted "Assassinate Obama" after his election, prompting the mayor of this eastern Idaho town to publicly apologize.

image015.jpg

Well, I see it on my comp.
I'm posting it w photo bucket and hopefully you'll see it on your comp. now.

<>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom