Obama General Discussion... (Part 2) - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #121
The Fly

Local Time: 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I don't know if this is from Portsmouth but gee, how lovely

Unfortunatly all of this has been going on way too long.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #122
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:20 PM
I didn't agree with comparing Bush to Hitler either. I just see this health care forum fiasco as some sort of bizarre way for certain people to grind their ax with President Obama about things that aren't even related to health care. I bet most of these people have no understanding of what his health care plan really is. I don't-but if I was going to protest it in any way I certainly would before I did.

It even happened at a health care forum in the town I live in-and nothing happens there. If they could only get so worked up about trying to fix the woes in their own party.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:57 AM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post

To be fair, he's right. There was this kind of talk coming from fringe elements on the left under the Bush Admin. But let me stress that it was FRINGE elements. I can safely say that the vast majority of the posters on this board would not have found a Bush/Hitler comparison accurate or fair. I certainly wouldn't, and I happen to think he was a horrible president.

The question is, are these protests just the work of a few fringe Far Right loonies or is there a good portion of otherwise sane folks who are being whipped into a fury by these kinds of comparisons.

Thoughts?
Old 08-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #124
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
here's what i take from most political debates:

democrats think they are always right and republicans are always wrong.
republicans think they are always right and democrats are always wrong.
the independants / libertarians realize they are both full of shit.
I don't know about that. My issue with the Republicans is less that they are wrong, and more the way in which most of them are approaching the issues. It's the level of discourse on the conservative side that I find appalling.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #125
Refugee

Quote:
I don't know if this is from Portsmouth but gee, how lovely

is that Madoff holding the sign?! How'd he get out?!

wow look at all the fat ignorant people. pretty much a representative crossection of this country.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #126
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

which precisely proves the point that they have a problem attracting minorities.

good example.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #127
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
To be fair, he's right. There was this kind of talk coming from fringe elements on the left under the Bush Admin. But let me stress that it was FRINGE elements. I can safely say that the vast majority of the posters on this board would not have found a Bush/Hitler comparison accurate or fair. I certainly wouldn't, and I happen to think he was a horrible president.

The question is, are these protests just the work of a few fringe Far Right loonies or is there a good portion of otherwise sane folks who are being whipped into a fury by these kinds of comparisons.

Thoughts?

I like to think that I'm about as conservative as they come and very very proud of it. I would like to think that these few fringe townhall loonies are not a clear representation of conservatives as a whole. While I agree with some of their views/ concerns this is clearly the wrong way of going about it.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #128
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

while i disavow any Bush/Hitler comparisons, i think one fair distinction to make is that those comparisons were made when Bush manipulated intelligence to justify an illegal war that has killed tens of thousands of Iraqis.

Obama wants to give everyone health coverage.

reasonable people can debate how we go about providing health care, and i think that has gone on in other threads, but i think there's a big, big difference between invoking a wild historical comparison when a big fucking invasion is at stake, versus when you're debating health care.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #129
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I like to think that I'm about as conservative as they come and very very proud of it. I would like to think that these few fringe townhall loonies are not a clear representation of conservatives as a whole. While I agree with some of their views/ concerns this is clearly the wrong way of going about it.
So in your opinion the whole Obama/Hitler comparisons and such does not reflect the opinion of most conservatives, and that these people are just a few fringe nutcakes whose voices are being magnified by the media?
Old 08-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #130
Blue Crack Addict

But it's an invasion of their wallets .
Old 08-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #131
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
But it's an invasion of their wallets .

even though, in many cases, these protesters would probably benefit most from genuine heath care reform.

it boggles the mind.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #132
Refugee

Local Time: 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
that's a simplification of how Lincoln was viewed in his time, and when the country was literally being torn apart by civil war, i hardly think the Lincoln comparisons are accurate.
Its a fact that while he was President, Lincoln was by far the most unpopular President this country has ever had. Ever President has issues that increase or decrease their popularity that are sometimes out of their control, but it does not change the facts about the Presidents popularity level at the time nor does it make such comparisons inaccurate.

Quote:
the fact remains that Bush's policies were disastrous, both at home and abroad, and for the GOP as well as they are now a party for old Southern white straight christian men, and he presided over the sinking of an American city.
First, if Bush's policies were "disastrous" for the country as you claim, Bush NEVER would have been re-elected President in 2004. Not only was Bush re-elected in 2004, but he was elected by the first popular(over 50%) majority since 1988! Republicans seats in both the House and the Senate increased, the first time since the 1950s that an incumbant President was able to increase the number of seats his party had in congress!

In Foreign Policy, the Bush administration removed the Taliban regime from Afghanistan and the Saddam regime from Iraq, two regimes that threatened the United States and the world. The administration pursued policies of economic, political and security development in both Afghanistan and Iraq, and while difficult, produced amazing success's in both countries.

Iraq which you claim should not be a country, does not have a government, and should be broken up into seperate states because it is in the middle of a "Civil War" continues to make great strides in developing the capacity needed to function on its own without the aid of the US military and other government agencies. Barack Obama has in fact adopted Bush administration policy on Iraq, even keeping Bush's Secretary Of Defense, a FIRST for a new administration of a different party.

In the United States, the Bush administration achieved the lowest average poverty rate of any administration since the 1970s. It also had an average unemployment rate and inflation rate equal to the Clinton administration. GDP growth was also similar. Although it will be hard to believe, the countries national debt level as a percentage of GDP under Bush on average was less than that under Clinton.

The average economic statistics posted by the Clinton and Bush administrations will be tough for Obama to follow. But years from now, its one of the things objective historians will be looking at.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #133
Refugee

Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Its a fact that while he was President, Lincoln was by far the most unpopular President this country has ever had.
To quote Jon Stewart:

"Yes, lincoln was the most unpopular president we ever had... it seems no matter what he did, half the country would hate him!"

I wonder why half of the country hated Lincoln?? hmm....
Old 08-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #134
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
even though, in many cases, these protesters would probably benefit most from genuine heath care reform.

it boggles the mind.
But Rush probably doesn't tell them that. Then again he doesn't even have to worry about paying what his insurance doesn't cover-that would be pocket money for him.

I don't think people want to even put in the effort to find out how it would benefit them. It's much easier to just stand there with a poster of Obama with a little Hitler mustache and/or a swastika.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #135
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
So in your opinion the whole Obama/Hitler comparisons and such does not reflect the opinion of most conservatives, and that these people are just a few fringe nutcakes whose voices are being magnified by the media?
Yeah