Obama General Discussion... (Part 2) - Page 60 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #886
Refugee

Local Time: 12:16 AM
Do we have to change Chicago's nickname from the Second City to the Fourth City now?

Old 10-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #887
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
let's all read this "column" by Michelle Malkin, and tell me if you can spot the racial stereotypes she's dredging up.
I did the assignment.

Please show me what I missed.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #888
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post

I know of at least two people who won't be able to spot them.
Since I know you think I'm one of them, care to tell me what was racial about her column?
Old 10-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #889
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:16 PM
Hint: What respectable writer would start off an "article" with such a poor sentence unless there was a reason?
Old 10-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #890
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

There are definitely undertones of the "it's hard out there for a brotha/pimp/ho" etc, but I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that it was definitely Malkin's intent in writing that sentence.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #891
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Hint: What respectable writer would start off an "article" with such a poor sentence unless there was a reason?

Next example, please.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #892
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
There are definitely undertones of the "it's hard out there for a brotha/pimp/ho" etc, but I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that it was definitely Malkin's intent in writing that sentence.

the themes of "i'm owed" and "everything's hard on me 'cause i'm black" echo throughout the piece, as well as the assumption that every dissatisfaction expressed by a black person is due to race. also the sense that "she doesn't really work hard, she just thinks she does, because she expects the world on a silver platter" combined with the fact that Michelle apparently didn't want to do the work of a second-year associate all tie into racialized resentment, connected to Affirmative-Action.

it's the same schizophrenic attitude that plagues her husband. on one hand, she's a clearly undeserving affirmative-action baby who was helped into Princeton and then Harvard and then one of the best law firms in the world (i can only guess that she had special private tutoring to pass the bar) simply because she was black, you know, not because she was qualified, and then on the other hand she's too successful, too ambitious, too aloof, too egotistical, too intellectual, too intellgentsia, too apart from the common people -- amazingly, Palin's white huntin' and fishin' background are somehow more real and more American than Michelle's south side of Chicago and father with a debilitating disease.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #893
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
We have Glenn Beck's statements and many of Hannitys that are pretty easy to hear 'race' thrown around.

I am not much of a fan of Michelle Malkin. Of course there is a 'mocking' tone.

Much of the criticism of Bush and other political types is done in a 'mocking' tone.

I think there are enough times when Michelle Malkin or Ann Coulter make a bigoted statements, that we should not have to label everything bigoted.

And because Michelle Malkin comes down hard on Polanski, it does not give me qualms to 100% condemn a 43 year old man anally raping a 13 year old give aginst her will.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #894
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I didn't actually say "bigotry". I think this is another case of subconscious thought rather than conscious.

The opening line was very intentful though.

And that coupled with the "I'm owed" and "I should be praised for what I'm supposed to do" implications seemed pretty obvious to me.

If the roles were reversed do you think the article would make any "sense" if it was written about Mrs Bush? Of course not.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #895
She's the One

I've never read anything by Michelle Malkin before. Is she always such a bitch?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #896
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I didn't actually say "bigotry". I think this is another case of subconscious thought rather than conscious.

The opening line was very intentful though.

And that coupled with the "I'm owed" and "I should be praised for what I'm supposed to do" implications seemed pretty obvious to me.

If the roles were reversed do you think the article would make any "sense" if it was written about Mrs Bush? Of course not.
I always substitute when I analyze.

Mrs Bush is not a good switch. Would Oprah have gone with a Bush?
Hillary perhaps. But she is more accomplished than Michelle, there were much worse things written about her.

W got savaged worse. The trip to Denmark with Oprah in tow does lend itself to this type of treatment.

I don't really fault Obama for going. The P M from Japan went, too.

The Olympic Committee blew it, They could have made Michelle say “For the first time in my adult lifetime, I’m really proud of my planet."
Old 10-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #897
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:16 AM
I think the US media's coverage (horribly politicized 24h news channels) of any political issue is way too much occupied with the boulevard. This trip being the greatest idea since the telephone or not, come on, you don't have to dedicate two days to it.
People like Malkin or Coulter seriously should just be drained through ignorance.
But well, guess it's already too late seeing as considerable portions already cling to the figureheads of those news channels and take their words as ultimate truth.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #898
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I did the assignment.

Please show me what I missed.
It's a negative article on the Obamas.

So by definition...it's racial and schizophrenic.

Quote:
The Olympic Committee blew it, They could have made Michelle say “For the first time in my adult lifetime, I’m really proud of my planet."
Old 10-02-2009, 11:15 PM   #899
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
It's a negative article on the Obamas.

So by definition...it's racial and schizophrenic.

it hardly qualifies as an "article" -- it's a diatribe published by a hack on her popular website.

and the website is popular because it gives voice and sound to the racism and racialized resentment i outlined above.

Michelle Malkin, and all these people, know what they are doing. they're using fear to take money, which has happened ever since this country started.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:56 AM   #900
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I always substitute when I analyze.

Mrs Bush is not a good switch. Would Oprah have gone with a Bush?
Hillary perhaps. But she is more accomplished than Michelle, there were much worse things written about her.
No, I think it's fair to subsitute a first lady with a first lady. And as inactive as Mrs Bush was I think it's even more suitable that she could be subsituted for it would have been real easy to make fun of her is she had actually stepped out of the house and did something(but I honestly can't remember her taking any real active role like I did Clinton or Reagan), regardless no matter who wrote it it never would have started out with "it's hard out there for a first lady" and would have never had such undertones, period.