Obama General Discussion... (Part 2) - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #556
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Nope.

<>
If not international rating agencies, then what's your signal of impending bankruptcy?

The US dollar has depreciated against the Euro since Obama took office, so that could be a negative signal, certainly. That said, it is still worth more against the Euro and other main trading currencies than it was in June 2008, when Bush was still in office.

These things aren't really reducible to soundbites though, are they?

If the US does go bankrupt, then I would allocate the blame 80% Bush cronies, 20% Obama.
__________________

__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #557
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 05:53 PM
Not only did members of the GOP wave signs like they were at a town hall last night, not only did one call the president a liar, but now we find out that one of them stood up and walked out during the speech.

Shimkus walked on Obama: 'Frustrated': The Swamp

Are they trying to collectively have no class or what?
__________________

__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #558
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Are they trying to collectively have no class or what?
I don't think most have to try. It just comes naturally.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #559
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,501
Local Time: 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Not only did members of the GOP wave signs like they were at a town hall last night, not only did one call the president a liar, but now we find out that one of them stood up and walked out during the speech.

Shimkus walked on Obama: 'Frustrated': The Swamp

Are they trying to collectively have no class or what?



it seems like a certain socialist canadian is against free speech.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #560
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 11:53 PM
I don't see a problem with elected representatives shouting 'you lie' or walking out. These are entirely legitimate expressions of disagreement. I'm sure things like that have happened in the Canadian parliament at some stage or other. The Presidential office shouldn't be some kind of sacred cow, one of the problems with the Bush regime, er sorry, Bush administration was that it was being held up as a sacred cow. Remember the Dixie Chicks?

The problem is with the lunatics on the fringes, the real actual racists, and the far right types that in my view are being manipulated by the globalist corporatists.
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #561
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Not only did members of the GOP wave signs like they were at a town hall last night, not only did one call the president a liar, but now we find out that one of them stood up and walked out during the speech.

Shimkus walked on Obama: 'Frustrated': The Swamp

Are they trying to collectively have no class or what?
(beating Irvine to the punch here) But it has nothing to do with race whatsoever.
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #562
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I don't see a problem with elected representatives shouting 'you lie' or walking out. These are entirely legitimate expressions of disagreement. I'm sure things like that have happened in the Canadian parliament at some stage or other.
We have the parliamentary system like you though, so we're used to having our PM stand up there to get insulted once a week. (Actually sorry, I totally forgot you weren't English, heh)

It was quite unprecedented by American standards, that's sort of the point.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #563
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
We have the parliamentary system like you though, so we're used to having our PM stand up there to get insulted once a week. (Actually sorry, I totally forgot you weren't English, heh)
The Irish parliamentary system is broadly similar to the UK. Representatives are sometimes asked to leave the Dail for 'unparliamentary language', but it is viewed for the most part as a misdemeanour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
It was quite unprecedented by American standards, that's sort of the point.
I know what you mean about it being relatively unprecedented by (recent) US standards, but I suspect this veneration of the Sacred Office of POTUS mullarkey is a relatively recent thing - for which the Republicans are largely to blame, ironically.
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #564
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 04:53 PM
So Joe Wilson has apologized for his breach of decorum, but still insists he "disagrees with the Presidents comments" regarding illegal immigrant coverage under the proposed bill.

Gee, that's odd:

Quote:
H.R. 3200: Sec 246 — NO FEDERAL PAYMENT FOR UNDOCUMENTED ALIENS

Nothing in this subtitle shall allow Federal payments for affordability credits on behalf of individuals who are not lawfully present in the United States.
So either Wilson hasn't even read the bill and is simply ignorant, or he's the liar.

Sort of reminds me of another recent political controversy in California politics:

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmem...ht_on_tape.php

Summary: Dumbass Family-Values Republican, who was recently asked to chair the ethics committee, caught on hot mic bragging to another assemblyman about not one, but two ongoing affairs (did I mention he's married?), one with a lobbyist that represents a company that was involved in another committee he sat on. When it blows up and he realizes he just killed his political career, does he apologize for his behavior? For publicly standing for family-values while undermining them in reality? No. This is his statement:

Quote:
I am deeply saddened that my inappropriate comments have become a major distraction for my colleagues in the Assembly, who are working hard on the very serious problems facing our state. I have come to the conclusion that it would not be fair to my family, my constituents or to my friends on both sides of the aisle to remain in office. Therefore, I have decided to resign my office, effective immediately, so that the Assembly can get back to work.
I'm not actually apologizing for being wrong, or completely misrepresenting who I am and what I stand for, I'm just apologizing because it got in the news. Kinda like Wilson apologizing for his outburst but not for misrepresenting the truth.

__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #565
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
If not international rating agencies, then what's your signal of impending bankruptcy?

The US dollar has depreciated against the Euro since Obama took office, so that could be a negative signal, certainly. That said, it is still worth more against the Euro and other main trading currencies than it was in June 2008, when Bush was still in office.

These things aren't really reducible to soundbites though, are they?

If the US does go bankrupt, then I would allocate the blame 80% Bush cronies, 20% Obama.
That Obama spent 4 times as much money as Bush already.
He will raise takes to try and cover this, the economy will then tank faster than it is already.

Watch.

<>
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #566
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
That Obama spent 4 times as much money as Bush already.
Do you have a souce for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
the economy will then tank faster than it is already.

Watch.

<>
I've suggested that we try and avoid simplistic soundbites, but if you want to stay in that frame, the Dow Jones by my calculation is up 18% since the inauguration.
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #567
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
So Joe Wilson has apologized for his breach of decorum, but still insists he "disagrees with the Presidents comments" regarding illegal immigrant coverage under the proposed bill.

Gee, that's odd:
Quote:
H.R. 3200: Sec 246 — NO FEDERAL PAYMENT FOR UNDOCUMENTED ALIENS

Nothing in this subtitle shall allow Federal payments for affordability credits on behalf of individuals who are not lawfully present in the United States.
Nothing about verifying citizenship status however and attempts by Republicans to do so were voted down in committee.

Quote:
So either Wilson hasn't even read the bill and is simply ignorant, or he's the liar.
The Congressional Research Service (CRS), the "research arm" for the United States Congress, dissagrees with you saying in their report "H.R. 3200 does not contain any restrictions on noncitizens - whether legally or illegally present, or in the United States temporarily or permanently - participating in the Exchange."

But c'mon Diemen. You live in a sanctuary city. Not only do you refuse to comply with current federal immigration laws, not only do you not enforce current laws against hiring illegal aliens but you specifically direct law enforcement agencies to not enquire about legal status. So employers and cops don't inquire about citizenship status but with this new law doctors and hospital administrators will? C'mon.
__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #568
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,700
Local Time: 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
That Obama spent 4 times as much money as Bush already.
Oh really??!!
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 09-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #569
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,700
Local Time: 04:53 PM
It seems to me that the overall vocal conservative voice is losing it.

No decorum. Not informed. And full of hate...

When will you guys demand something better?
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #570
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:53 PM
More attributes of the new administration:

YouTube - ACORN Prostitution Investigation - J. O'keefe Part 1
__________________

__________________
diamond is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread #6 MrsSpringsteen Free Your Mind Archive 992 07-28-2008 06:16 PM
What was Obama thinking? Very difficult relationships to explain...... Dreadsox Free Your Mind Archive 82 03-06-2008 08:22 PM
The Cult of Obama MaxFisher Free Your Mind Archive 257 03-06-2008 09:38 AM
Issues 08: Health Care maycocksean Free Your Mind Archive 16 02-10-2008 06:58 PM
Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread Varitek Free Your Mind Archive 1003 09-23-2007 03:31 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com