Obama General Discussion... (Part 2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you're going to be honest and tell me race does not play an issue with the far right?

You're getting a little harder to take seriously as of recent.

It's clear this angle of attack line of questioning isn't going anywhere, and it also seems pretty obvious that none of the participants here are about to change their mind on the subject, at least not via constant harassment and being told they're bringing "shit to the table."

Let's move on, shall we? Or at least find a less aggressive way to go about discussing things?

BVS, if you honestly believe the majority of the tea-party protesters were racists, then I don't see much of a point. Because they're not. They're just not, and you'll never understand it for whatever reason, whether it's some sort of deep-seeded hatred for conservatism or your unyielding fascination with everything this president does... I don't know.

BVS, if you honestly believe the majority of the tea-party protesters were racists, then I don't see much of a point. Because they're not. They're just not, and you'll never understand it for whatever reason, whether it's some sort of deep-seeded hatred for conservatism or your unyielding fascination with everything this president does... I don't know.

And I don't think you'll ever really recognize the more subtle sides of racism, i.e. Rush, your comment about the only reason Obama will win, and the majority of tea party protestors. I just don't think you'll ever be able to recognize it, hopefully someday you will. :shrug:

I don't have any deep seeded hatred nor any fascination with anyone, it's just something I see and put up with everyday. Maybe growing up in the south I'm more fine tuned to see it, I don't know, but I see it here, I saw it when I lived in the Midwest and I see it in the tea party movement, and it's very disturbing to me.

Here's a good conservative critique on Obama's Policy approach:

Obama and the Policy Approach > Publications > National Affairs

Both his ambition and his unique style of issue management show that Obama is emphatically a "policy approach" president. For him, governing means not just addressing discrete challenges as they arise, but formulating comprehensive policies aimed at giving large social systems — and indeed society itself — more rational and coherent forms and functions. In this view, the long-term, systemic problems of health care, education, and the environment cannot be solved in small pieces. They must be taken on in whole, lest the unattended elements react against and undo the carefully orchestrated policy measures.

Indeed, as Madison put it, "as long as the reason of man continues to be fallible, and he is at liberty to exercise it, different opinions will be formed." It may be that, in the end, the proponents of the policy approach disagree with Madison's premise that reason is fallible. But if that is their view, they can hardly claim much empirical evidence for it.

Though Madison believed the most common source of different opinions to be property, he also understood that Americans were likely as well to divide along religious and moral lines, reflecting convictions about ultimate questions of good and evil that cannot be resolved through scientific reason. This does not mean they take in only part of the picture, but that they disagree about what is best for the whole, for reasons that run deep. These disagreements, although they do not always lend themselves to scientific analysis and technical solution, speak to genuine human yearnings and concerns. They are often rooted in many centuries of experience and wisdom, and can hardly be dismissed as irrelevant to the life of a liberal society — let alone as illegitimate subjects for political debate.

:hmm: It's a long read but worth it.

Some on the Left say he is failing:

...just saying..

Gore Vidal: ‘We’ll have a dictatorship soon in the US’The grand old man of letters Gore Vidal claims America is ‘rotting away’ — and don’t expect Barack Obama to save it

Tim Teeman
113 Comments
Recommend? (85)
A conversation with Gore Vidal unfolds at his pace. He answers questions imperiously, occasionally playfully, with a piercing, lethal dryness. He is 83 and in a wheelchair (a result of hypothermia suffered in the war, his left knee is made of titanium). But he can walk (“Of course I can”) and after a recent performance of Mother Courage at London’s National Theatre he stood to deliver an anti-war speech to the audience.

How was his friend Fiona Shaw in the title role? “Very good.” Where did they meet? Silence. The US? “Well, it wasn’t Russia.” What’s he writing at the moment? “It’s a little boring to talk about. Most writers seem to do little else but talk about themselves and their work, in majestic terms.” He means self-glorifying? “You’ve stumbled on the phrase,” he says, regally enough. “Continue to use it.”

Vidal is sitting in the Connaught Hotel in Mayfair, where he has been coming to stay for 60 years. He is wearing a brown suit jacket, brown jumper, tracksuit bottoms; his white hair twirled into a Tintin-esque quiff and with his hooded eyes, delicate yet craggy features and arch expression, he looks like Quentin Crisp, but accessorised with a low, lugubrious growl rather than camp lisp.

He points to an apartment opposite the hotel where Churchill stayed during the Second World War, as Downing Street was “getting hammered by the Nazis. The crowds would cheer him from the street, he knew great PR.” In a flash, this memory reminds you of the swathe of history Vidal has experienced with great intimacy: he was friends with JFK, fought in the war, his father Gene, an Olympic decathlete and aeronautics teacher, founded TWA among other airlines and had a relationship with Amelia Earhart. (Vidal first flew and landed a plane when he was 10.) He was a screenwriter for MGM in the dying days of the studio system, toyed with being a politician, he has written 24 novels and is hailed as one of the world’s greatest essayists.

Related Links
I knew JFK, and believe me Obama’s the better leader
Then and Now
He has crossed every boundary, I say. “Crashed many barriers,” he corrects me.

Last year he famously switched allegiance from Hillary Clinton to Barack Obama during the Democratic nomination process for president. Now, he reveals, he regrets his change of heart. How’s Obama doing? “Dreadfully. I was hopeful. He was the most intelligent person we’ve had in that position for a long time. But he’s inexperienced. He has a total inability to understand military matters. He’s acting as if Afghanistan is the magic talisman: solve that and you solve terrorism.” America should leave Afghanistan, he says. “We’ve failed in every other aspect of our effort of conquering the Middle East or whatever you want to call it.” The “War on Terror” was “made up”, Vidal says. “The whole thing was PR, just like ‘weapons of mass destruction’. It has wrecked the airline business, which my father founded in the 1930s. He’d be cutting his wrists. Now when you fly you’re both scared to death and bored to death, a most disagreeable combination.”

His voice strengthens. “One thing I have hated all my life are LIARS [he says that with bristling anger] and I live in a nation of them. It was not always the case. I don’t demand honour, that can be lies too. I don’t say there was a golden age, but there was an age of general intelligence. We had a watchdog, the media.” The media is too supine? “Would that it was. They’re busy preparing us for an Iranian war.” He retains some optimism about Obama “because he doesn’t lie. We know the fool from Arizona [as he calls John McCain] is a liar. We never got the real story of how McCain crashed his plane [in 1967 near Hanoi, North Vietnam] and was held captive.”

Vidal originally became pro-Obama because he grew up in “a black city” (meaning Washington), as well as being impressed by Obama’s intelligence. “But he believes the generals. Even Bush knew the way to win a general was to give him another star. Obama believes the Republican Party is a party when in fact it’s a mindset, like Hitler Youth, based on hatred — religious hatred, racial hatred. When you foreigners hear the word ‘conservative’ you think of kindly old men hunting foxes. They’re not, they’re fascists.”

Another notable Obama mis-step has been on healthcare reform. “He f***ed it up. I don’t know how because the country wanted it. We’ll never see it happen.” As for his wider vision: “Maybe he doesn’t have one, not to imply he is a fraud. He loves quoting Lincoln and there’s a great Lincoln quote from a letter he wrote to one of his generals in the South

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/the_way_we_live/article6854221.ece

you don't think race factors at all?

do you think that GWB would have been as popular with his base (for a little while, at least) if he had been black?

you see, you can't avoid race, it can't be factored out of life. it's always there, and our perceptions are colored by it.

that just is.

you don't think race factors at all?

do you think that GWB would have been as popular with his base (for a little while, at least) if he had been black?

you see, you can't avoid race, it can't be factored out of life. it's always there, and our perceptions are colored by it.

that just is.

if gw would have been black..he would have won by even wider margins against the bore and senator botox.

nothing and nobody could have touched a rugged conservative black cowboy.

it would have been the left's worst nightmare.

<>

if gw would have been black..he would have won by even wider margins against the bore and senator botox.

<>

i think this sums it up. rugged conservative cowboys aren't black, for if they were black, you'd have to modify and change the previous adjectives that you just used.

thanks, diamond. :hug:

i think this sums it up. rugged conservative cowboys aren't black, for if they were black, you'd have to modify and change the previous adjectives that you just used.

thanks, diamond. :hug:

Some Liberals cannot seem to think outside of the box.
They think a black person can't be conservative or around horses I suppose.
Case in point:

a_malone_275.jpg

thank u,

<>

<>

I always thought the first black president would be a Republican.

I'm not sad that I was wrong.

When is the president going to make a decision on the war of necessity?

He's spent more time with Dave Letterman than his top general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom