Obama General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like a hoax. Or at least a highly entrepreneurial sort of troll.

very pleased that Daniel Hernandez will be seated with the First Lady tonight.

hernandeznew.jpg

he's everything that the GOP, and especially in Arizona, and especially John McCain, have declared to be the enemy: young, gay, and hispanic. or, in other words, modernity.

to think, he can save the life of a Congresswoman, but he's got to show his papers if he gets pulled over and can't get married.

he's everything that the GOP, and especially in Arizona, and especially John McCain, have declared to be the enemy: young, gay, and hispanic. or, in other words, modernity.

You know, that makes for a cute little statement, but I don't think it's all that accurate or grounded.

As far as the "young" thing, it's not the GOP's fault that Obama's approval rating among those under 30 is under 50%, and it's not the GOP's fault that Obama didn't excite them enough to come out and save his rear end in November. As far as the "not being able to get married" thing, that's (don't forget) also the opinion of your president. And as far as the "hispanic" thing, as has been mentioned in this forum before, Republicans made great gains in 2010 among hispanics compared to 2006. And for the millionth time- though I'm sure you'll misunderstand somehow- it's not legal hispanic citizens the GOP doesn't like.

As far as the "not being able to get married" thing, that's (don't forget) also the opinion of your president.
So he's not a radical leftist? :scratch: Will the right please make up their mind...

And for the millionth time- though I'm sure you'll misunderstand somehow- it's not legal hispanic citizens the GOP doesn't like.

Given many statements by Fox, the talking heads, and even conservative posters in here I'm not sure that's very accurate.

Joe Wilson can suck my dick, he's one and the same as the conservative media. Say something outrageous to get control of the news cycle and then quietly apologize after a few days when no one gives a shit about a follow-up.

I think there are plenty of people on both sides who do this...

You know, that makes for a cute little statement, but I don't think it's all that accurate or grounded.

it is absolutely true that the GOP demonizes gays (see election 2004), hispanics (see the state of Arizona), and the young (see the racial panic unleashed by a black president).

Wasn't it 2861U2 who kept ripping into Obama for using teleprompter?

At least he's good at it. Unlike Michele Bachmann. Who isn't even looking at the right camera. And is speaking to the audience like they are stupid. (Well....)

her charts were so spectacularly dishonest and stupid, i can't believe that CNN got Punk'd like that.

(well, other than Anderson, maybe i can ...)

The GOP of the United States has convinced me that all of America is too far right. Thanks, GOP. You've made me lose faith in any right side of America. I would move out of this country if it wasn't for my family.

Michelle, what a laughing stock, how does ANYONE take her seriously?

I honestly don't even know.

I think that's the thing that bugs me the most about public conservative figures like her, or the Fox News people (whom I saw a clip on TV about last night, they were getting ALL offended over the Cohen quote and Meghan Kelly actually had the audacity to say that people on Fox never make Nazi comparisons. Cue numerous clips to the contrary; clearly the people who work there don't watch their own channel, it seems), or whatever. It's not the simple fact that they're conservative. That is honestly the least of my worries about them. So Fox wants to present a right-wing counterpoint, fine, whatever, go for it.

No, it's the fact that they embody the absolute worst kind of conservatism and make the Republican/conservative mindset look bad. They seem to revel in their ignorance and stupidity and hypocrisy. If I were a Republican, a conservative, I'd be deeply embarrassed that THESE PEOPLE, the Limbaughs, the Palins, the Bachmanns, the Hannitys, the Becks, the Santorums, etc., are the ones who are supposedly speaking for my side. I'd much rather listen to an Andrew Sullivan, or a PJ O'Rourke, or somebody of that nature, on conservative beliefs.

At stake right now is not who wins the next election — after all, we just had an election. At stake is whether new jobs and industries take root in this country, or somewhere else. It's whether the hard work and industry of our people is rewarded. It's whether we sustain the leadership that has made America not just a place on a map, but the light to the world.

Hear that, politicians? I'm not holding my breath that they'll listen to this, but man, it sure would be nice if they did.

I also liked this:

That responsibility begins not in our classrooms, but in our homes and communities. It's family that first instills the love of learning in a child. Only parents can make sure the TV is turned off and homework gets done. We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Super Bowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair. (Applause.) We need to teach them that success is not a function of fame or PR, but of hard work and discipline.

Yep.

Interesting transcript, thanks to AliEnvy for sharing it :) (I sadly didn't get a chance to see the speech this evening, but should it pop up online I'll check it out). I like the outline topic about the American Dream and there's some good suggestions in there about how to work towards being a stronger, more efficient country again, not so much for the sake of inspiring other countries, even, just for our own sake. I hope, over time, we can start working on at least some of the things suggested here.

Angela

Except she was looking into the right camera. Many lazy people in the media (and in this forum, apparently) clearly didn't understand what was going on.
Yeah, i didn't get that either.

People focus on the wrong stuff, it's kind of worrying.

Did you find her over-simplification and partisan use of statistics, or her tone irritating?

Maybe I read too much into things, but her elocution was pretty patronizing.

Did you find her over-simplification and partisan use of statistics, or her tone irritating?

Maybe I read too much into things, but her elocution was pretty patronizing.
Bingo. I couldn't give two fucks about what camera she's looking into. I just want to talk about how everything she was saying was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom