Obama General Discussion II - Page 65 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #961
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
It would be nice to hear some real solutions to our problems in America.
A society works great when you have ideas presented from all around, unfortunately the conservatives haven't produced any REAL solutions in years.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #962
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:11 PM
I think the move to release the birth certificate must have come from Obama out of frustration.

It's well-known that the GOP establishment and the party at a nat'l level want Trump to go away, as well as any further political aspirations from Palin. Surprised the White House decided to discredit the loonies making the Republican Party look bad in the coming election cycle.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #963
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:11 PM
Old 04-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #964
Blue Crack Distributor

ya know what's fucking nuts? obamer was in my hood the other day. completely shut down traffic on the east side for hours, delayed all forms of mass transit from getting in and out of the city, and probably cost a hefty sum's worth of overtime... so he could go to a couple of fundraisers.

couldn't we have just given him a donation and he could stay home, that way i don't have to be sitting in a claustrophobic subway car under the east river for half an hour? fuck.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #965
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:11 AM
you think you had it bad

He is in Alabama now and look what he is leaving behind.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #966
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:11 PM
^ I thought about posting a thread about that, but there's not really anything to "discuss." The death toll is currently at 329 and they're still going through wreckage, thousands have been hospitalized as well. It's horrible.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #967
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
^ I thought about posting a thread about that, but there's not really anything to "discuss." The death toll is currently at 329 and they're still going through wreckage, thousands have been hospitalized as well. It's horrible.
It could be worth discussing why there aren't better building standards: mandatory safe-rooms, impact-resistant windows, 100+mph shingles/roofing, hurricane ties on the rafters, etc.
That gets a little wonky, but is in my industry.
Still, every house that gets rebuilt will be essentially the same as it was, and therefore subject to damage/destruction again.

Very sad. Unbelievable death toll.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:37 PM   #968
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:11 AM
yes building codes are important

we just updated our city general plan and zoning / building codes.

I spent 2 hours a week for a couple of years, as a resident / owner participant.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:17 PM   #969
Rock n' Roll Doggie

More reading fun

Update: Chronicle responds after Obama Administration punishes reporter for using multimedia, then claims they didn't : Bronstein at Large
Old 04-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #970
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
It could be worth discussing why there aren't better building standards: mandatory safe-rooms, impact-resistant windows, 100+mph shingles/roofing, hurricane ties on the rafters, etc.
That gets a little wonky, but is in my industry.
Still, every house that gets rebuilt will be essentially the same as it was, and therefore subject to damage/destruction again.

Very sad. Unbelievable death toll.
From what I heard, the wind speeds of these twisters were unheard of. 350 miles per hour and so on. Would the building codes have made much of a difference at that point?
Old 04-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #971
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep
you think you had it bad

He is in Alabama now and look what he is leaving behind.
Yes because obviously the two subjects are related and can't possibly be discussed separately.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #972
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
From what I heard, the wind speeds of these twisters were unheard of. 350 miles per hour and so on. Would the building codes have made much of a difference at that point?
For safe rooms, yes.
Very little else is designed to take a direct hit from a tornado, but plenty of building materials/techniques can withstand 150 mph, which is more normal for tornadoes.

This obviously was a "100 Year" type of event. Generally in the U.S., we have no problem making "100 Year" flood codes, but for some reason we are way behind in hurricane and tornado building codes, especially in residential.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #973
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:11 AM
it amazes me that the earthquake in christchurch recently was possibly one of the most powerful earthquakes ever recorded (in terms of ground movement - over two times the strength of gravity), yet so many houses stood*. not a really real comparison, but there's something to be said for overbuilding.

*=apparently, most other cities on earth would have had a death toll in the thousands after an earthquake involving that kind of ground movement.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:59 PM   #974
Blue Crack Addict

Conservative firebrand and former Colorado congressman Tom Tancredo hasn't had particularly kind words for President Barack Obama. Last October, for instance, he said that the president was a greater threat to the country than Al Qaeda.

And he's long questioned where the president was actually born. When Michelle Obama described Kenya as her husband's "home country" in a speech in 2008, the anti-immigrant Tancredo responded, "If his wife says Kenya is his homeland, why don't we just send him back?"

So one might think that the release of President Obama's long-form birth certificate would humble the birther and radio host.

Not so much. In fact, Tancredo took the opportunity to gloat about his own prescience.

He issued a press release reminding readers of his comments a year ago on Alan Colmes' radio show regarding the birther controversy. Shortly after saying he had "absolutely no idea where [Obama] was born," Tancredo made these remarks about the whole fracas:

TANCREDO: Now they very well not want to show it because they want to propagate this whole thing that's going on about birthers. ... They may be doing it for that reason; I don't know why they don't want anyone to see it. ... They want it propagated because you know -

COLMES: It makes your party look nuts!

TANCREDO: Yeah well maybe that's why they don't produce document, I don't know.

He repeated that claim in the statement issued Friday. "Obama has followed Mohammed, not the religious leader, but the boxer. President Obama has pulled off the perfect Mohammed Ali rope-a-dope," he said in the release, according to the Colorado Independent.

The idea, according to Tancredo, is that Obama withheld his birth certificate until now simply for the purpose of making Republicans look foolish. And the analogy to Ali seems to suggest a begrudging admiration of the strategy.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #975
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Obama didn't force the Republican fringe to make this an issue for the past several years. They were the ones dopey enough to keep pushing an issue that no serious person was taking seriously.