Obama General Discussion II - Page 62 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2011, 05:52 AM   #916
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
it's amazing how much gas prices affect the public mood.
Human beings are creatures that function on self-interest and self-preservation, whether we acknowledge it consciously or not.

You can pull through an economic downturn with your job intact and the world's problems seem an ocean away...until you get hit in the wallet on the way to work/school/Pilates/Tea Party meeting.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #917
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Human beings are creatures that function on self-interest and self-preservation, whether we acknowledge it consciously or not.

You can pull through an economic downturn with your job intact and the world's problems seem an ocean away...until you get hit in the wallet on the way to work/school/Pilates/Tea Party meeting.

it's also a very visible loss. like when you see what you lose out of your paycheck to taxes. very, very easy to get outraged about that.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:11 AM   #918
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:18 PM
"But leave the Uighurs. With Kiyemba’s remedy strip the law for all, what, in year ten, shall we do with the cook, the wedding guest, the fellow traveler, the foolish youth who so many years ago wandered into a training camp, and wandered out again? Shall he terrify us forever? What shall we do with the Afghan who signed up with the wrong faction in the chaos of 2001? Shall he be our prisoner long after bin Laden’s driver is home? Until the Emperor of Terror comes aboard the Missouri, to sign the instrument of unconditional surrender in our war against a common noun?

In my city in 1942, we imprisoned Mr. Mussolini’s fierce combatants. But within two years we were inviting them to Mass in the North End, and young girls were passing notes through the fence at Carson’s Beach. We Americans held U-boat drivers in York County, Virginia, Japanese sailors in Wisconsin. As for the Nazi officers at the Hearne Camp in Texas, when they were on work release harvesting cotton, they weren’t imprisoned at all. We held the enemy on our own soil in those days. In Texas, he worked the soil. Today, our soil fears men who never were our enemies at all.

Can it really be that the frequenter-of-a-suspicious-guest-house is more fearsome than those POWs of yesterday, whom we held in camps all across America? That the Uighur is? What shall we say when the Guantanamo prisoner’s fifteenth year comes? His twenty-fifth? When a prisoner dies of old age, as Awal Gul did last February? Sooner than you think, a new MP will arrive for duty at the base, to guard a man who has been at Guantanamo since before that MP was born. (That MP is in the Boy Scouts today, but he’ll be eighteen in a few years.) What possible national interest will be served by that ironic custody?"
~Sabin Willet
Old 04-25-2011, 02:57 AM   #919
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
it's also a very visible loss. like when you see what you lose out of your paycheck to taxes. very, very easy to get outraged about that.
certainly, if you're either seeing no discernable improvements in public services or have no idea that's what taxes are meant to pay for.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #920
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
You know what? I'm going to answer because that's what adults do.

What I'm saying is that most of the Tea Party Conservatives are hypocrites. He's using Biblical covenant talk and equating it with not raising taxes on the rich?

I can't remember Jesus telling the rich they should keep as much of their riches as they can, do you?

Now you won't answer this, everyone in FYM knows this, but just apply some critical thinking...

Most Tea Party Conservatives are hypocrites?

Are there any liberal hypocrites?

Who is using "Biblical covenant" talk?

And just something on the side here:
Where Did All the Anti-War Protestors Go? John Stossel
Old 04-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #921
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
Most Tea Party Conservatives are hypocrites?
YES.

Quote:
Are there any liberal hypocrites?
Of course...

Quote:
Who is using "Biblical covenant" talk?
Did you not watch the video or read the link that I was commenting on? You can't miss it.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #922
Blue Crack Addict

I think it's the timing of the gas prices, and the fact that they go up every day. Just when more people were feeling comfortable spending some discretionary money on clothes or travel or entertainment, etc.-now they're hit with that and everything goes back to when they couldn't spend that money even though gas was still cheap. It's a psychological blow in addition to hitting you in the wallet.

And of course it's not just gas-it's the food price increases and everything else that's going up as a result of the gas prices. If you can't take a trip this summer or even do small things-that's a definite mood killer. What do you have to look forward to other than being more broke?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #923
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, it's very unfortunate. I have zero respect for him

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House struck back at Christian evangelical leader Franklin Graham on Monday for suggesting that President Barack Obama might not have been born in the United States.

Graham, the son of evangelical leader Billy Graham -- a long-time counselor to Republican and Democratic presidents -- said on ABC television that Obama "had some issues to deal with" in proving that he was born in Hawaii -- echoing claims from the so-called "birther" movement that have been debunked.

"I was born in a hospital in Asheville, North Carolina, and I know that my records are there. You can probably even go and find out what room my mother was in when I was born. I don't know why he can't produce that," Graham said in remarks broadcast on Sunday.

He also seemed to question Obama's religious convictions.

"Now, he has told me that he is a Christian. But the debate comes, what is a Christian?" Graham said of the president.

"For him, going to church means he's a Christian. For me, the definition of a Christian is whether we have given our life to Christ and are following him in faith and we have trusted him as our lord and savior."

The White House, which has had to deny false claims repeatedly that Obama was not born in the United States, dismissed Graham's comments.

"I think it's unfortunate that a religious leader would choose Easter Sunday to make preposterous charges," White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #924
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:18 AM
I love how religion and this birther issue are just covering up the fact that people don't like having a fucking black person for president.

There is nothing else to it.

Yes Liberals got upset at the war mongering of Bush, and said hateful things, and even did some comparable things (using Nazi symbolism). But if we're going to compare crazy, nothing compares to what Obama has gone through.

He's had his birth questioned. His policital idealogy. His religion. Everything. No one has doubted McCain is an American Citizen.....so what's the difference? Fucking racists.

I really hope the reason for all of this commotion....is the last hurrumph of a dying breed of American racism and bigotry.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #925
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
I love how religion and this birther issue are just covering up the fact that people don't like having a fucking black person for president. ... No one has doubted McCain is an American Citizen.....so what's the difference? Fucking racists.
exactly.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #926
War Child

I consider myself a conservative, but all this ridiculousness about Obama's birth certificate makes me embarrassed to be a republican. Seriously, what are they even basing this off of?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #927
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
what are they even basing this off of?
He's black, duh
Old 04-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #928
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
I consider myself a conservative, but all this ridiculousness about Obama's birth certificate makes me embarrassed to be a republican. Seriously, what are they even basing this off of?
Thank you.

Surely there are policy differences that the 2012 candidates could be addressing.
Does the birther push say more about the base than the candidates? Probably, yes.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #929
Blue Crack Supplier

the Tea Party isn't racist guys.

YouTube - A Time for TEAHAD
Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #930
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

WOW

I'm not a racist, but I don't want those niggers to vote.