Obama General Discussion II - Page 55 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #811
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Huckabeeeeeeeeee laying the groundwork of the "he's not one of us" meme rhetoric for the 2012 election.

all they've got is racism.

that's why the smart ones are sitting this election out.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #812
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:01 AM
The thing about Huckabee's Kenya/anti-imperialism thing that baffles me is that he uses the example of anti-British imperialism as if it was a bad thing for Kenyans to feel.

As I recall, America's founding fathers felt pretty strongly about British imperialism, too.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #813
Blue Crack Addict

So, what is it, GOP? Why are we supposed to hate Obama? Can you all at least get your story straight so you have some credibility?
Old 03-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #814
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
As I recall, America's founding fathers felt pretty strongly about British imperialism, too.

yes, but they were white and thus didn't need imperialism.

others, however ...
Old 03-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #815
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
yes, but they were white and thus didn't need imperialism.

others, however ...
Basically. You would think Huckabee/Fox News would be able to concentrate attacks on the actions of Obama as president. Instead, they're trying to paint a picture of Obama as entirely un-American as if he was marked from birth. Through all this nonsense about Kenyan anti-imperialism and Indonesian madrassas, the running undercurrent is "be afraid of people who aren't just like you." Never a concrete connection between his past to how he has governed, just insinuations and conjectures that have little grounding in reality but easily sway the gullible and intolerant.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #816
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Basically. You would think Huckabee/Fox News would be able to concentrate attacks on the actions of Obama as president. Instead, they're trying to paint a picture of Obama as entirely un-American as if he was marked from birth. Through all this nonsense about Kenyan anti-imperialism and Indonesian madrassas, the running undercurrent is "be afraid of people who aren't just like you." Never a concrete connection between his past to how he has governed, just insinuations and conjectures that have little grounding in reality but easily sway the gullible and intolerant.

yes, but he has a funny name. Barack Hussein Obama? come on -- how many Americans do you know who have a name like that?

on a serious note, Obama was pretty much raised by white people, he went to the finest prep school in Hawaii, and his grandfather fought for Patton and liberated concentration camps at Buchenwald.

please -- tell me this is something other than racism. not specifically "i hate n*ggers" southern-style racism that's as old as America itself. this is a bit more complex, probably more akin to xenophobia.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #817
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Seriously. The right can deny it 'till the cows come home, but it's way past time to face this. Once again, if we expect everybody in every other group out there to denounce the actions and words of their extremists, expect it of the liberals and the Muslims and the blacks and whatever, then fair's fair, so conservatives, it is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY past time you start doing the same. Right?

You can't downplay this anymore. You really can't. It's too entrenched, for one thing, to sweep it under the rug, and for another, it's beyond scary. There are people stating these beliefs who are in potential positions of power, if not actually in power already. This needs to be dealt with. Now.

Also, Mark, heh, really, no kidding, there's an idea .

Angela
Old 03-04-2011, 03:08 AM   #818
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
not specifically "i hate n*ggers" southern-style racism that's as old as America itself. this is a bit more complex, probably more akin to xenophobia.
In retrospect, I guess Huckabee's pronouncements on Israel/Palestine--which are far-right even by Israeli standards, and have often made my jaw drop--may be more revealing of how he rationalizes conflicting worldviews than, say, his seemingly thoughtful responses to the Rev. Wright controversy. It is strange that he sympathetically describes Wright as shaped by a particular chapter in US history (segregation), dismisses Wright-equals-Obama thinking--even pointing out one could take fire-and-brimstone clips from Huckabee's own past preachers to make him look extreme too--yet then turns around and suggests the experiences of Obama's father (whom Obama saw just once after infancy) and grandfather (whom he never met at all) were somehow profound influences on his outlook, with their "Mau Mau" Muslim Kenyan anti-Westernismcolonialism...? But then, fiery black-church preaching is a stereotype Huckabee's familiar with and doesn't find foreign at all; whereas Wright's far less radical ex-congregant, who however had a Muslim atheist Kenyan father and white globe-trotting anthropologist mother and lived in Indonesia a few years as a kid...now, that's exotic. And the way Huckabee talks about Israel is kind of reminiscent of this: his "policy" unabashedly comes straight from his reading of the Bible--all of Palestine belongs to Jews because God gave it to them ("[I]t goes back to Isaac and Ishmael," he's helpfully explained) so it's really the Saudis or maybe Egyptians who ought to make room for their Arab brothers--yet, despite such impeccably anti-Arab anti-Muslim "pro-Israel" sentiments, unlike practically every other presidential aspirant out there, he's never cultivated relationships with AIPAC-linked Jewish groups, and drops gems like this about the, um, clearly limited contacts with Jews he does have: "I was the only goyim [sic] in the entire group! If you’ve been around a lot of Jewish people, particularly from New York, they tend to be very opinionated, very animated. I felt like I was sitting between Barbra Streisand and Woody Allen—it was really interesting, it was surreal!” Everything seems to get cinematized, and I don't mean that in some deft PR-genius way.

My guess is this will only make mainstream conservatives even more wary of him, though (at the ballot box--not necessarily on Fox). Plus, Limbaugh already dislikes him big-time, doesn't he?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #819
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
"I was the only goyim [sic] in the entire group! If you’ve been around a lot of Jewish people, particularly from New York, they tend to be very opinionated, very animated. I felt like I was sitting between Barbra Streisand and Woody Allen—it was really interesting, it was surreal!”

oy! that's a wonderful quote. amazing how Jews are now, to the far right, and mostly because of Israel (which is really more code for anti-Muslim) and Israel's willingness to kick some ass, no longer Christ-killers but actually God's "special people" -- exotic creatures bestowed with wondrous gifts who need to be fiercely protected from the savagery that exists around them. of course, payback will come when it's time to build the temple, but until then, it must be quite unusual to suddenly have "most special kid brother" status.

in all seriousness, most Establishment republicans have to be a little wary of Huckabee. he really does appear to believe in the Rapture, and to not believe in evolution. and while that may make the base lick their chops, i still think there's enough mainstream voters in the primaries who are going to go with "most electable" like they did with McCain in '08 and like the Dems did with Kerry (instead of Dean) in '04. if Palin gets in there, her fight becomes with Huck, leaving the door open for Romney.

and taking a longer look at him, even if Chris Christie throws his hat into the ring, he'll turn out to be Giuliani -- the base isn't going to have much time for a pro-choice, pro-gun control Soprano cast member.

i still think, today, it's Romney's to loose.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #820
Blue Crack Supplier

it gets better?

Quote:
Huck: I didn't diss Portman
By: Maggie Haberman
March 4, 2011 02:00 PM EST

Mike Huckabee walked back his criticisms of actress Natalie Portman for "glamorizing" out-of-wedlock pregnancies Friday, with a statement insisting he was only talking about society and that he's glad the Oscar winner plans to wed her baby's father.

It's the second time in a week that Huckabee, who suggested in the initial comments that the starlet was "boasting" about being unmarried and a mom, has walked back or explained away something he said during his book tour.

"In a recent media interview about my new book, A Simple Government, I discussed the first chapter, 'The Most Important Form of Government Is a Father, Mother, and Children,' " Huckabee said, referring to his appearance on The Michael Medved Show.

"I was asked about Oscar-winner Natalie Portman's out-of-wedlock pregnancy," he added. "Natalie is an extraordinary actor, very deserving of her recent Oscar and I am glad she will marry her baby's father.

"However, contrary to what the Hollywood media reported, I did not 'slam' or 'attack' Natalie Portman, nor did I criticize the hardworking single mothers in our country," he said.

"My comments were about the statistical reality that most single moms are very poor, under-educated, can't get a job, and if it weren't for government assistance, their kids would be starving to death. That's the story that we're not seeing, and it's unfortunate that society often glorifies and glamorizes the idea of having children out of wedlock."

In the Medved interview, Huckabee never addressed the subject of Portman marrying her fiance and father of her child, Benjamin Millepied, saying, "People see a Natalie Portman or some other Hollywood starlet who boasts, ‘we’re not married but we’re having these children and they’re doing just fine'...I think it gives a distorted image. It’s unfortunate that we glorify and glamorize the idea of out-of-wedlock children."

A representative for Portman didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

at first, i thought Huck was just upset because he was really pulling for Annette Benning to win the Oscar for her well-written lesbian-motherhood dramedy, and took his disappointment out on poor Natalie, one of those "New York" Jews who's Harvard-educated and everything and probably very opinionated and animated, too. but, really, it was about the plight of black and hispanic children.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #821
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:01 AM
Shut up, Huckabee. The state of Natalie's womb or her ring finger is none of your goddamned business.

And neither is Jamie Lynn Spears' womb, even though you praised her for keeping the baby despite being an unmarried knocked-up 16-year-old.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #822
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Shut up, Huckabee. The state of Natalie's womb or her ring finger is none of your goddamned business.

And neither is Jamie Lynn Spears' womb, even though you praised her for keeping the baby despite being an unmarried knocked-up 16-year-old.

did he ever talk about Bristol Palin's womb?
Old 03-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #823
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:01 AM
When I was reading about his Portman comment last night, someone mentioned he also praised Bristol Palin. I can't verify, so I'll just say "Oh, probably. Shut up, Huckabee."
Old 03-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #824
Blue Crack Supplier

and i just read that maybe Huck was getting all Jedi Mind Trick on us -- he he was quietly talking about Bristol Palin in code, you know, all evangelical-like, because he knows his competition in 2012 is Bristol's momma grizzly.

(meanwhile, poor Mittens quietly hopes the two of them split the Christianist base in two and he can surf on through to the nomination)
Old 03-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #825
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post

I was just about to say this very thing. Thank you .

Angela