Obama General Discussion II - Page 54 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #796
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:34 PM
Quote:
As for President Obama, what is there to be said? Goldman Sachs was his number-one private campaign contributor. He put a Citigroup executive in charge of his economic transition team, and he just named an executive of JP Morgan Chase, the proud owner of $7.7 million in Chase stock, his new chief of staff. "The betrayal that this represents by Obama to everybody is just — we're not ready to believe it," says Budde, a classmate of the president from their Columbia days. "He's really fucking us over like that? Really? That's really a JP Morgan guy, really?"

Which is not to say that the Obama era has meant an end to law enforcement. On the contrary: In the past few years, the administration has allocated massive amounts of federal resources to catching wrongdoers — of a certain type. Last year, the government deported 393,000 people, at a cost of $5 billion. Since 2007, felony immigration prosecutions along the Mexican border have surged 77 percent; nonfelony prosecutions by 259 percent. In Ohio last month, a single mother was caught lying about where she lived to put her kids into a better school district; the judge in the case tried to sentence her to 10 days in jail for fraud, declaring that letting her go free would "demean the seriousness" of the offenses.

So there you have it. Illegal immigrants: 393,000. Lying moms: one. Bankers: zero. The math makes sense only because the politics are so obvious. You want to win elections, you bang on the jailable class.
Why Isn't Wall Street in Jail? | Rolling Stone Politics

Old 03-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #797
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:34 AM

Mike Huckabee: Obama grew up in Kenya - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Old 03-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #798
has a

Local Time: 09:34 AM
He meant Indonesia?

Yeah, I confuse those two all of the time.

Glad to read more intellectual nuggets from the brain trust that is the Republican 2012 candidates/Fox News scholars.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #799
Forum Moderator

Quote:
"What I know is troubling enough," Huckabee said of the president. "And one thing that I do know is his having grown up in Kenya, his view of the Brits, for example, very different than the average American...If you think about it, his perspective as growing up in Kenya with a Kenyan father and grandfather, their view of the Mau Mau Revolution in Kenya is very different than ours because he probably grew up hearing that the British were a bunch of imperialists who persecuted his grandfather."
Wow, total dog whistle to a certain type of over-50 voter. Wow.

Surprised this came from Huckabee, to be honest.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #800
Forum Moderator

via ABC:
Quote:
Hogan Gidley, the director of Huckabee's political action committee, sought to clarify the former governor's remarks on Tuesday: “Governor Huckabee simply misspoke when he alluded to President Obama growing up in ‘Kenya.’ The Governor meant to say the President grew up in Indonesia," Gidley told ABC News. "When the Governor mentioned he wanted to know more about the President, he wasn’t talking about the President’s place of birth--the Governor believes the President was born in Hawaii. The Governor would however like to know more about where President Obama’s liberal policies come from and what else the President plans to do to this country--as do most Americans.”
Bullshit. Anyone knowledgeable enough to connect Kenya, the Mau Mau and British imperialism didn't "simply misspeak" in constructing an extended reference like that.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #801
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Wow, total dog whistle to a certain type of over-50 voter. Wow.

Surprised this came from Huckabee, to be honest.
As am I, a bit, considering he said in a recent interview that he didn't believe that and thought those who believed it were "misguided", so to speak.

I'm dead serious, can we PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE tell anyone repeating this inane crap to just shut the hell up already?

Angela
Old 03-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #802
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Of course it was a calculated "misspeak", but it just goes to show how even the GOP presidential runners are aware of how paranoid and misinformed a big portion of their base is.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #803
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Mike Huckabee truly, properly repulses me, but you're right, the quote and the clarification say far more about what he assumes of his base than anything about himself.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #804
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
As am I, a bit, considering he said in a recent interview that he didn't believe that and thought those who believed it were "misguided", so to speak.
What he'd called "misguided" was the case that Obama was born abroad and thus ineligible to become POTUS--so yesterday's statement doesn't necessarily contradict that position. But, for Americans who A) are old enough to remember the 60s and B) were keenly aware of race politics during that time, any mention of "Mau Mau" would instantly trigger a series of associations. Racist 1950s British popular films and novels about savage, bloodthirsty Mau Mau slaying innocent Anglo settlers (the Mau Mau's victims were in fact overwhelmingly fellow Africans) trickled down to the US, where both white supremacists and black nationalists adopted the Mau Mau as a rhetorical symbol. In the former case, this was to fan paranoia about violent Negro mass revenge, perhaps with Soviet backing--the FBI's COINTELPRO project often referenced the threat of an "American Mau Mau," and the US-Kenya student exchange program which brought Obama's father here was an Eisenhower Administration attempt to counter Soviet propaganda that the US was the true power behind British colonialism in Africa (just don't let them see the South!). In the latter case, the "Mau Mau" image was embraced as a swaggering, nose-thumbing show of defiance at the white establishment--Malcolm X proclaimed a "Mau Mau in Harlem," and a notorious self-styled black 'paramilitary' group of the day was "The Mau Mau Society."

Of course, Americans under 40 don't remember any of this, and unless they're history majors will almost certainly draw a total blank at any mention of "Mau Mau," let alone what a Kenyan anticolonial uprising in the 50s has to do with President Obama's policy platform. So he's definitely aiming for a specific audience here. But the idea that he only "accidentally" cited this whole string of interrelated events which just happen to have strong resonance for US racial politics at the height of their turbulence--bullshit.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #805
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Of course, Americans under 40 don't remember any of this, and unless they're history majors will almost certainly draw a total blank at any mention of "Mau Mau," let alone what a Kenyan anticolonial uprising in the 50s has to do with President Obama's policy platform. So he's definitely aiming for a specific audience here.
Which is funny, because while older people might be familiar with the history you cited there, his audience who believes such claims about Obama probably are also the type who aren't exactly interested in delving deeper into such historical stories, shall we say.

Fascinating stuff there. That is new to me, we never really talked about that in school. If ever the day comes when I wake up and all this racial bullshit is no more, I will truly believe I'm in heaven.

Angela
Old 03-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #806
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Didn't Dinesh D'Souza write a book saying Obama has that anti-colonialism attitude towards Europe, and that explains his "communist" beliefs?

Certainly sounds like Huckabee is trying to appeal to the angry white population, but he's just making an ass out of himself in the process.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #807
Forum Moderator

^ Yes, he wrote a book called The Roots of Obama's Rage (Glenn Beck loved it), which bypasses boring old Obama-as-tax-and-spend-liberal interpretations in favor of the more exotic proposal that Obama is obsessed with resurrecting his long-lost father's failed struggle against the Evil White Man and his predatory ways, which the son shall win by destroying his own country from within. I suppose it's possible that's where Huckabee is drawing this from (well, not the 'grew up in' Kenya part), although D'Souza's standing in the conservative world took a nosedive several years back once he started arguing the position--which he still does--that Islamist hostility to the US is caused by our own culture's prominent sexual immodesty, which conservatives should therefore focus on curbing. Since then, mainstream conservative pundits have largely relegated him to the 'interesting, but loony' bin.

Back when the book came out, I remember there was a hilarious parody of it by another Indian-American (D'Souza comes from Mumbai) making the rounds, where the author basically did to D'Souza exactly what D'Souza did to Obama--he took known facts about D'Souza's family and caste background, then used those to create a boneheadedly deterministic portrait of D'Souza as a snooty Lusophone Brahmin driven by rage at the loss of his folk's privileged place in colonial India to the lower-caste Hindu/Muslim rabble empowered by the independent Indian state.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:27 AM   #808
ONE
love, blood, life

Huckabeeeeeeeeee laying the groundwork of the "he's not one of us" meme rhetoric for the 2012 election.

Taking at least one or two pages from Hill Hill's playbook

YouTube - Huckabee & Fischer Agree Obama's Childhood Instilled "Fundamental Anti-Americanism" In Him

Heaven forbid America have a genuine "sand nigger" as President, one day.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:11 AM   #809
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, for fuck's sake....

First off, Huckabee says, "I never said he was born in Kenya or Indonesia or anywhere other than Hawaii, where he claims to have been born." How about you just say, "other than Hawaii, where he was born"? And, "I never said he wasn't born here, I just think he's anti-American"-oh, well, my apologies, then, 'cause that's SO much better!

Second, all that mocking of the journalists for "getting it wrong", well, the overall sentiment that you're insinuating things that aren't true is right. And if you're tired of those journalists who "can't read" getting your quotes about this issue "wrong", here's a thought: next time somebody asks you if you believe Obama was born somewhere other than the U.S., how about just not responding at all? Or telling them to ask another, more pertinent question? Or how about just saying, "He was born in the United States." and leaving it at that?

Third, I'm confused as to how his father's supposed views of the British mean that Obama is anti-American (and my family didn't go to rotary club meetings, either! Gasp! Guess we're not completely "true Americans"! WTF?).

The fact that people who think like this breed frightens me.

Angela
Old 03-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #810
has a

^Yes.

Yes.

and Yes. If we are going to micromanage fetuses, now, let's micromanage sperm, too.