Obama General Discussion II - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2010, 06:16 PM   #556
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:15 PM
President Barack Obama is solidifying support among Democrats for their 2012 nomination, even as Sarah Palin is losing ground to other Republican candidates, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released on Tuesday.

CNN reports on the results:

In the battle for the GOP presidential nomination, the survey suggests Palin may have some work to do if she throws her hat in the ring. Only 49 percent of Republicans say that they are likely to support Sen. John McCain's running mate in 2008 for the Republican nomination in 2012.

"That's a huge 18-point drop since December of 2008, when two-thirds of GOPers said they were likely to support Palin," CNN Polling Director Keating Holland explained. "It also puts her well behind potential rivals Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney, and a bit behind Newt Gingrich as well."

The lack of Republican support for a potential presidential run from Palin underscores an earlier Public Policy Polling survey, which found that the former Alaska governor is widely unpopular in her home state, not to mention in a variety of other key swing states.

HuffPost's Sam Stein argues that the poll results should be reassuring to the president, who has fielded some heavy criticism from progressives this year.

According to a CNN/Opinion Research survey, a full 78 percent of Democrats want Obama to win the nomination for a second term in office -- up five percent from late October. At roughly the same point in his presidency, only 57 percent of Democrats wanted Clinton to be re-nominated.

But if all the negative polling data dissuades Palin from running, the Democrats could be the ones to take the hit. In November, Vice President Joe Biden contended that a Palin challenge would leave Obama in "good shape."

Old 12-30-2010, 07:22 AM   #557
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:15 PM
Barack Obama - Either Doing His Best In One of The Most Difficult Times In American History, Or Hitler | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Quote:
Barack Obama - Either Doing His Best In One of The Most Difficult Times In American History, Or Hitler

Barack Obama, the first black president, proved to millions this year that he is either trying his best to lead the nation during the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, or he is the modern-day incarnation of Adolph Hitler. One of the two.

In 2010, Obama made a number of political compromises while still trying to pursue many of the reforms laid out during his 2008 campaign. Also, he was a totalitarian monster comparable to the perpetrator of one of the worst genocides in history. He is either a president who passed a comprehensive health care measure despite staunch opposition from powerful private interests, or a radical-Islamist sympathizer bent on systematically dismantling American democracy and eradicating all human liberty. He either lowered taxes for most Americans while failing to communicate that effectively, or he is pure evil. Whichever.

Barack Obama, two of the most important people of 2010: the one who was elected to be president of the United States and execute laws to the best of his ability, and the one who murders senior citizens and hates all white people. Only history will say which he is for sure.
Quite accurate reporting, me thinks.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #558
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I'm just going to assume you are being willfully ignorant on this one, I can't see any other reason as to why one couldn't see what was going on.
Well, how did START and DADT pass through the senate?
Old 12-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #559
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
The political climate now is different than it was then, simply put. You really can't compare someone going across the aisle than to going across the aisle now. It's just harder to do as president. These Republicans are irrationally anti-Obama, in ways unseen in the past three decades.
So how did START and DADT make it through then?
Old 12-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #560
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
But Bill Smith, the founder of Main Line Animal Rescue in the Philadelphia area, bristled at Obama's characterization that the Eagles' signing of Vick was motivated by wanting to give a convicted felon a second chance.

"If he couldn't throw a football, he wouldn't have had a second chance," said Smith, who organized a campaign last season to collect food for animal shelters every time Vick was sacked on the field. "This isn't about giving anyone a second chance; it's about who can make the Eagles organization more money."
BINGO.

It's no surprise this is causing controversy, I had a feeling it probably would. I too am rather confused as to why Obama felt the need to step in and say something on that matter. Especially since I happen to strongly disagree with Vick even being allowed to still play at all. I fully understand and agree with Obama's belief that people deserve second chances, but when it comes to crimes like the kind Vick committed, I'm pretty skeptical/hesitant. Obama's heart's in the right place, but he had to know this was going to stir some people up.

Anywho...comforting to know that Democrats are starting to band together again (granted, the reason as to why is pretty obvious, but still, they need to be a strong unit nonetheless). I just hope they do toughen up more, that they learn from this last election and everything, because Biden's right. A Palin opposition would definitely help them in the next presidential election, but if she doesn't get that nod, and another Republican does, they're going to have to really fight hard, because some Republicans out there, regardless of how good or bad their platform is, know how to get the public support. The Democrats have two years to plan out their strategy for 2012, let's hope to God they have a good one in mind.

And that summary of Obama is amusing. It's just bizarre the extreme actions/beliefs he's being associated with, it floors me that people out there honestly believe such things.

Angela
Old 12-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #561
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam4bono View Post
So how did START and DADT make it through then?
... What? What does that have to do with my point?
Old 12-31-2010, 03:07 PM   #562
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
... What? What does that have to do with my point?
Well, if the Republicans in the Senate are the party of no, and out to prevent Obama from passing anything, START and DADT would not have made through. Their passage proves that you can pick up two Republican Senators, in fact more than two!
Old 12-31-2010, 03:14 PM   #563
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:15 AM
two major things in two years, one of which was essentially a human rights issue, and the other one having it's foundations back with the tea parties messiah?

that isn't a supporting argument, buddy.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:25 PM   #564
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
two major things in two years, one of which was essentially a human rights issue, and the other one having it's foundations back with the tea parties messiah?

that isn't a supporting argument, buddy.
Well, perhaps thats because there can't be any argument against the idea that "Obama is a great leader who has been blocked by the evil "party of no" Republicans at ever turn. LOL
Old 01-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #565
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Well, perhaps thats because there can't be any argument against the idea that "Obama is a great leader who has been blocked by the evil "party of no" Republicans at ever turn. LOL
Is your world really this black and white?

Have you never understood nuance in your life?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #566
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:15 PM
Quote:

Nuance has a known liberal bias.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #567
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Nuance has a known liberal bias.
The word nuance sounds French. Nuff said.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #568
The Fly

Quote:

Well, you should be asking yourself these questions. Afterall, I'm not the one suggesting that its impossible for Obama to get two Republican Senators to go along with him on any issue. I'm not the one claiming that the Republicans are just the party of NO.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #569
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Afterall, I'm not the one suggesting that its impossible for Obama to get two Republican Senators to go along with him on any issue. I'm not the one claiming that the Republicans are just the party of NO.

No, but I'm the one that understands that no other minority congress has acted like this in our country's history...
Old 01-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #570
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Well, you should be asking yourself these questions. Afterall, I'm not the one suggesting that its impossible for Obama to get two Republican Senators to go along with him on any issue. I'm not the one claiming that the Republicans are just the party of NO.
We're not saying impossible, just really fucking difficult.