Obama General Discussion II - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #436
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:35 AM
Thanks Mrs. S! It's great to see you too!

Old 12-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #437
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:35 AM
I haven't been surprised by anything Obama's done so far in his term, including this latest deal with the Republicans. As has already been stated I think a lot of Obama supporters didn't really understand what he was all about and are now dealing with deflated expectations.

I always sensed Obama's pragmatic side and indeed I respect it. I'm okay with the compromise. To be honest, I have a hard time taking any carping about the deficit seriously, whether from the right or left. Both sides only complain about the deficit when the program/policy that will increase the deficit is one that they don't like. Complete hypocrisy. I think Obama's decision was practical, in that with the Republicans controling Congress next year, they could easily make all the tax cuts permanent--better to get a two-year extension now rather than block the extension of the tax cuts to the rich and get nothing at all. I think it was also political, in that if Obama couldn't get the middle class tax cuts passed, he'd be blamed for "raisng taxes" later. The Republicans won't have that weapon now. Finally, I think it was a gamble. I think he's hoping that economy will be in better shape in two years, and a decision about ending tax cuts will be easier then.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #438
Blue Crack Supplier

it also gave Obama a chance to draw sharp distinctions between himself and both parties, which is critical to his appeal to the middle. if he's going to win in 2012, he needs them.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:46 AM   #439
Blue Crack Addict

"Lower taxes and more spending" isn't a Republican or Democratic idea. It's a politician's idea.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #440
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
I think Obama's decision was practical, in that with the Republicans controling Congress next year, they could easily make all the tax cuts permanent--better to get a two-year extension now rather than block the extension of the tax cuts to the rich and get nothing at all.
Now watch the Republicans will campaign in 2012 on a platform of "Obama added another $300 billion to the deficit!"
Old 12-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #441
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
I wish it could be like the 50s or 60s, but my generation couldn't give a shit about the common good, we have high self-esteem and need to keep working two or three jobs to make sure there is a flatscreen in every home and an iPod in every jeans pocket.

I wish there weren't even a bit of truth to that, but there is.
I think this is a problem that can be argued for nearly any generation, sadly. But there are average, everyday people where I live who are conservative and do just what you mentioned there, and yet they still get out and do something. For some reason, conservatives across the board still mobilize more than liberals across the board nowadays. And I find that strange. Is it that they know how to be "taken more seriously" than liberals do, no matter how crazy their actual positions? Is it their lifestyles that allow them the time? Is it that they have more passion about their beliefs, even? What?

U2isthebest and Sean, excellent posts from both of you. As I said, my biggest problem was the use of the tax cuts and unemployment benefits being meshed together to force a political game of sorts. And I'm certainly not thrilled at the idea of the millionaires getting yet another tax cut ('cause lord knows if they lost even a fraction of their wealth life would be so over, right?). But I still believe sometimes Obama has a weird method to some of his strategies, that he's a bit ahead of his opposition and does things that look like he's going along with them publicly, only to make the Republicans look bad and hypocritical later on. As stated, they'll cheer the tax cuts now, but any complaints they make about the very same thing later on will be harder to follow, because they were cheering it originally.

The problem isn't the way Obama does things. It's that he doesn't call out the Republicans more on their hypocrisy when the time comes for it, and after all is said and done, he needs to better show just how his decisions will positively affect the everyday Americans in the end. He needs to stress that stuff to the public more often, to the point where it finally sinks into their heads and they start to remember that when they go to the polls. He needs to take a page from the Republican playbook on that aspect of it all. Only, without the mean-spirited attacks that come with it.

Angela
Old 12-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #442
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Ok, count Luke Scott of MLB's Baltimore Orioles as one of the shitbags who doesn't believe that the President was born in the United States. Luke shared this and other non baseball thoughts with a Yahoo Sports reporter during MLB's Winter Meetings in Orlando.

The Baltimore Oriole organization does not share Luke's thoughts and were forced to make a statement saying so.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #443
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Good thing we don't look to our baseball players for their intelligence...
Old 12-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #444
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post

It is a little ironic that the NFL seems to breed more politicians than other pro sports (Heath Shuler, Jack Kemp, Steve Largent, etc.), given the tendency toward hits on the head.

wait a second, maybe that helps them be politicians?
Old 12-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #445
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post

Yes, agreed.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #446
Blue Crack Addict

Playing for the Orioles probably messes with your head in a major way.

He looks like a freaking model but I don't know what's going on upstairs. He didn't just talk about the citizenship, if you read the whole interview it's even worse.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #447
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Playing for the Orioles probably messes with your head in a major way.

He looks like a freaking model but I don't know what's going on upstairs. He didn't just talk about the citizenship, if you read the whole interview it's even worse.

Oh yeah, I read the rest of the interview. He cites Ted Nugent as an influence. 'Nuff said.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #448
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post

It is a little ironic that the NFL seems to breed more politicians than other pro sports (Heath Shuler, Jack Kemp, Steve Largent, etc.), given the tendency toward hits on the head.

wait a second, maybe that helps them be politicians?
Sounds as good a theory as any.

I was thinking the same thing, BVS. No, not every sports figure subscribes to the "dumb jock" stereotype, certainly not, but in modern sports, it does seem there's quite a few out there who aren't too bright, to put it nicely.

Angela
Old 12-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #449
ONE
love, blood, life

House Democratic Caucus rejected Obama's deal.

House Democrats defy Obama on tax deal - CNN.com

Quote:
House Democrats voted Thursday against considering the tax package that President Obama negotiated with Republicans, raising questions over the president's influence in his own party.
The vote by the House Democratic caucus was a defiant rejection of both the agreement on tax and benefit measures, as well as what many Democrats in the chamber perceived as being marginalized in the talks by the White House.
"This message today is very simple. That in the form that it was negotiated, it is not acceptable to the House Democratic caucus," said Rep. Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, who represented House Democrats in the negotiations. "It's as simple as that."
Old 12-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #450
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
House Democratic Caucus rejected Obama's deal.

House Democrats defy Obama on tax deal - CNN.com
He's a smart guy, you have to believe that Obama knew this would be the reaction. So why did he do it?