Obama General Discussion II - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
wow. are the Republicans now against Afghanistan because Obama is for it?

i mean, i can't quite fault him. land wars in Afghanistan certainly don't go well. but what about the unwavering faith that Americans are exceptional at everything (except soccer)?

i'm stumped.

Steele has been on thin ice for some time now,

I expected him to announce that he was pursuing opportunities in the private sector awhile back

this newest pointless statement
should bring that announcement fairly soon.

they just need to get the word out to the African American GOP.

Clarence Thomas has not logged into his twitter acoount, yet.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 09:50 PM
Quote:
i mean, i can't quite fault him. land wars in Afghanistan certainly don't go well. but what about the unwavering faith that Americans are exceptional at everything (except soccer)?

i'm stumped.
Is your position on Afghanistan evolving?

Mine has over the past few years.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:12 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post

I wonder if we could start a thread to discuss our evolving opinions about it, without being inundated by 'you-know-who' with a bunch of armchair recitations of troop and brigade counts.

Because I'd love to have or at least read that discussion with many of you.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

yes, it has.

but this is the chairman of the RNC. the "stay the course/the Surge cures cancer" party. it's so diametrically opposite of what the party's broad stance towards war (we love it!) has always been. it's extremely unlike a Republican to think that certain regions of the world are essentially ungovernable by an outside power and that not every country is Germany or Japan in 1946.

Steele's job is to be the face -- more or less -- of the RNC. i guess he has two?
Old 07-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #35
Refugee

Local Time: 02:50 AM
Quote:
it's extremely unlike a Republican to think that certain regions of the world are essentially ungovernable by an outside power and that not every country is Germany or Japan in 1946.
The United States is not engaged in conquering, annexing and governing other countries. The United States did not do this in post war Germany and Japan and its not doing it now in Iraq and Afghanistan. In all these cases the United States has been engaged in efforts to HELP the country develop its OWN government, security forces, and economy. Its why these efforts are working despite the fact that so many other interventions failed.

There is nothing that makes Afghanistan immune to the effects of proper nationbuilding and globalization. But for some reason, liberal democrats like to believe that its impossible for the Afghan people to make progress. It may also have something to do with opposition to any type of military intervention, the military etc.

Abandoning Afghanistan in the 1990s did not make sense then, nor does it make sense now.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #36
Refugee

Local Time: 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
I wonder if we could start a thread to discuss our evolving opinions about it, without being inundated by 'you-know-who' with a bunch of armchair recitations of troop and brigade counts.
I see, you want a thread where the facts are few, and all of the opinions are similar.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:05 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Steele's comment feels less like an evolution though, and more like an about-face--one that is rather convenient as it allows for more Obama-hate. Also, the actual content of his statement doesn't imply a change or evolving of his stance on the war.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:07 AM   #38
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Steele's comment feels less like an evolution though, and more like an about-face--one that is rather convenient as it allows for more Obama-hate. Also, the actual content of his statement doesn't imply a change or evolving of his stance on the war.
we agree again. Steele...... very dissapointed in him.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

thehill.com

Veterans Affairs head blasts administration over hospital incident

By Russell Berman - 07/05/10 02:10 PM ET

The Democratic chairman of the House Veterans Affairs Committee lambasted the Obama administration over its handling of an incident at a St. Louis VA center in which more than 1,800 veterans were told they may have been exposed to HIV.

“It's outrageous, one, that this happens, but even worse is this secretive, almost cover-up mode that they go into when something like this happens,” Rep. Bob Filner (D-Calif.) said on CNN Monday.

The Department of Veterans Affairs last month sent a letter to 1,812 patients informing them that could have been exposed to HIV and other deadly viruses because of dental equipment that was insufficiently sterilized over a period of 13 months. The agency said the risk of infection was “extremely low” but it urged patients to return for blood tests.

Filner criticized the administration for taking more than three months to send out the letters after it discovered the faulty safety precautions in March. “We should be much more caring not only about the procedures but the way we deal with them after they're known,” the congressman said. He said it was “disgraceful” that Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki did not know about the lapse until last week.

Filner said the “only way you can get accountability is if there is someone who actually pays a price for this,” although he did not explicitly call for Shinseki to be fired.

The Veterans Affairs Committee is holding a hearing on the issue next week.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #40
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
because of dental equipment that was insufficiently sterilized over a period of 13 months.
I have to wonder how this even happens in this day and age.

Something doesn't sound right...
Old 07-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

It's the VA-that and much worse happens
Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #42
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
thehill.com

Veterans Affairs head blasts administration over hospital incident

By Russell Berman - 07/05/10 02:10 PM ET

The Democratic chairman of the House Veterans Affairs Committee lambasted the Obama administration over its handling of an incident at a St. Louis VA center in which more than 1,800 veterans were told they may have been exposed to HIV.

“It's outrageous, one, that this happens, but even worse is this secretive, almost cover-up mode that they go into when something like this happens,” Rep. Bob Filner (D-Calif.) said on CNN Monday.

The Department of Veterans Affairs last month sent a letter to 1,812 patients informing them that could have been exposed to HIV and other deadly viruses because of dental equipment that was insufficiently sterilized over a period of 13 months. The agency said the risk of infection was “extremely low” but it urged patients to return for blood tests.

Filner criticized the administration for taking more than three months to send out the letters after it discovered the faulty safety precautions in March. “We should be much more caring not only about the procedures but the way we deal with them after they're known,” the congressman said. He said it was “disgraceful” that Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki did not know about the lapse until last week.

Filner said the “only way you can get accountability is if there is someone who actually pays a price for this,” although he did not explicitly call for Shinseki to be fired.

The Veterans Affairs Committee is holding a hearing on the issue next week.
This is outrageous. To be fair though,this happened during the previous Administration, but this is just one in a recent string
At a UPENN run VA facilliaty, veterans who were being treated for prostate cancer, were given the wrong doasage of radiation therapy and the system failed at all levels.
To be fair though,this happened during the previous Administration, but this is just one in a recent string .

1,000's of veterans were exposed to _____ because a VA Center used the same unsteralized equipement for Colon cancer screening.

Mistakes Put VA Patients At Risk For HIV and Hepatitis - Health Videos - redOrbit
Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #43
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
But that's no excuse. Sterilization is a pretty simple and routine process. Either someone or something new got put into the mix to cause a problem with the sterilization.

Even in the worse of conditions you have proper sterilization or would be able to pick up on it when you weren't.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #44
Acrobat

Quote:

Yes, I see incident after incident in the reports. This is more common than not. Think how many have not been reported... yet. Their are a lot of systemic problems, serious ones, with the VA

This is more common that not. If the Government can't run the VA, they can't run the whole Health care system
Old 07-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not saying it's an excuse. But with just the limited personal knowledge that I have of the VA medical system and some of what goes on in it..the sterilization thing doesn't surprise me one bit.