Obama General Discussion II - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #361
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:07 PM
Please let it be Palin.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #362
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
and former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania.
Dear sweet god, no. Course, him running would also give Obama a strong chance at re-election...I'm hoping.

Quote:
The poll's release comes as Santorum visits New Hampshire to give a speech about the midterm election results and the future of the Republican party.
Oh, gee, I wonder what his speech would consist of!

Quote:
In Iowa, 21 percent of Republicans questioned as they exited the voting booth said that Romney was their likely choice in the 2012 Iowa caucuses
I can't stand Romney, but if it meant I didn't have to hear Palin's screechy, obnoxious voice and warped metaphors and such, that'd be a plus. Again, though, how good are his chances against Obama?

I'm not worried that any of the potential Republican nominees will actually have a stronger campaign than Obama-if the Republicans' message then is the same as it is now, which I'm pretty sure will be the case, then yawn. Same ol', same ol'. I'm more worried about the general public and what they're likely to buy into.

Angela

Old 11-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #363
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:07 PM
I'm liking Romney for the foreseeable future. Being first in Iowa, New Hampshire, and (I would assume) Michigan is great news for him. Assuming the economy remains the dominant issue, his chances would be very good, I think. Though that's assuming people vote on substance, which I'm not holding my breath for.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #364
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:07 PM
Romney won't do well in the Southern Primaries, the Bible Belt can't get past the fact that he is not a real Christian. But, like McCain he can pick up enough delegates to get the nomiation.

And given the choice between a Obama and Romney, he would win all the traditional Red States and with the right V P he could easily carry Ohio, PA, Virginaia, and Florida. Making it hard for Obama to get re-elected.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #365
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Assuming the economy remains the dominant issue, his chances would be very good, I think. Though that's assuming people vote on substance, which I'm not holding my breath for.
Vote on substance?

No, but he does have nice hair, so that will go a long way with some people.

Honestly, I think Jimmy Carter may have been the last President of real substance we've had (with Bush 1 coming in a weak second)--at least in my lifetime.

I think Romney is a solid Republican candidate, but I think the primary/caucus voters may not be so kind to him.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #366
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:07 PM
Quote:
Though that's assuming people vote on substance
Old 11-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #367
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Though that's assuming people vote on substance, which I'm not holding my breath for.
Because we know for certain they didn't on Tuesday.

I'm not holding my breath either...
Old 11-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #368
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:07 PM
I for one can't wait for the Republican presidential primary to get under way. I mean that will be a total shit show and a slaughter. Just terrific!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #369
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Romney won't do well in the Southern Primaries, the Bible Belt can't get past the fact that he is not a real Christian.
That's a good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
And given the choice between a Obama and Romney, he would win all the traditional Red States and with the right V P he could easily carry Ohio, PA, Virginaia, and Florida. Making it hard for Obama to get re-elected.
Ergh. Course, who could possibly be the ideal VP for Romney? If the Republicans want any sort of a prayer in 2012, I'm thinking that decision's going to have to hold a lot more weight this time around than it did last time. McCain was doing okay in 2008...right up until he picked Palin. Of course, there were multiple factors that came together to kill his presidential chances, but that decision certainly did not help matters at all. So if Romney did win, I'd be curious to see who his running mate would be. That could be a big factor for voters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
Vote on substance?

No, but he does have nice hair, so that will go a long way with some people.
Hehe. Yeah. Romney, substance...I'll be nice and just say, "Mmhm." I just always think he looks so incredibly slick and phony. He's like the ideal prototype of what a politician should look/act like.

No, we've still got people who got excited over Scott Brown because, hey, he drove a truck! Substance matters very little to far too many people. And then those voters get surprised and angry when nobody does anything. It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic and repetitive and maddening.

Quote:
Honestly, I think Jimmy Carter may have been the last President of real substance we've had (with Bush 1 coming in a weak second)--at least in my lifetime.
Eh, I dunno about that. I'd say Clinton and Obama did/do have some actual substance to them, too.

Angela
Old 11-05-2010, 06:17 AM   #370
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I for one can't wait for the Republican presidential primary to get under way. I mean that will be a total shit show and a slaughter. Just terrific!

I think the whole process from primary shit show to an undoubtedly absolutely savage election will be brutal beyond precedent. And - especially as an 'impartial' observer - ridiculously entertaining.

But yes, the primaries will be magic. Please, please, please Sarah Palin, please, please, please go for it.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #371
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Eh, I dunno about that. I'd say Clinton and Obama did/do have some actual substance to them, too.

Angela
I think by substance, I mean a great career and credibility that made them a natural choice for president--as opposed to style and character.

Clinton--tons of style and charm, and incredibly smart. AR Governor--meh.

Obama (and I like him)--a brilliant man, positive, and a motivator, but...

Reagan--

Bush 2--

Bush 1--Navy officer, Director of the CIA, Congressman, VP.

Carter--Navy officer--nuclear submarine experience, Governor of a state through a difficult period.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:59 AM   #372
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
It will be...

, then

, then

, then

, then

Old 11-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #373
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I think by substance, I mean a great career and credibility that made them a natural choice for president--as opposed to style and character.

Clinton--tons of style and charm, and incredibly smart. AR Governor--meh.

Obama (and I like him)--a brilliant man, positive, and a motivator, but...

Reagan--

Bush 2--

Bush 1--Navy officer, Director of the CIA, Congressman, VP.

Carter--Navy officer--nuclear submarine experience, Governor of a state through a difficult period.

Ah. Gotcha . In that context, yes, you make an excellent argument.

The 2012 Republican primaries will indeed be a complete and utter circus sideshow . I'll be alternately disturbed and entertained the whole way through-just so long as they don't result in any of these people actually becoming president, that is.

Angela
Old 11-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #374
has a

I haven't looked thoroughly in history to see how it truly plays out, but I am biased to support former members of the military for national political office. I think they have a better perspective on America's use of force and world role versus life-long civilians. Obviously, Bush 2 puts a massive asterisk next to that belief, but I still mostly believe it.

[I was a strong Wesley Clark supporter, but John Kerry was fine (if too timid).]
Old 11-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #375
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I haven't looked thoroughly in history to see how it truly plays out, but I am biased to support former members of the military for national political office. I think they have a better perspective on America's use of force and world role versus life-long civilians. Obviously, Bush 2 puts a massive asterisk next to that belief, but I still mostly believe it.

[I was a strong Wesley Clark supporter, but John Kerry was fine (if too timid).]
Bush Jr. was in the military, yes, but he never saw any action, so your argument still stands . People who've been in the military and actually been involved in conflict firsthand tend to think the way you stated. Helps to have the actual knowledge and experience behind you before you go making decisions of that magnitude.

Angela