Obama General Discussion II - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #286
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post
I see all sorts of pluses for Obama with this. I don't really see any for Hillary. She's already been First Lady, where arguably she had more influence than she would as VP. And she definitely has more influence as Secretary of State. All for an "if" six years down the road. Nah, if I were her, I would politely decline.

but it sets her up perfectly for 2016.

and i think everyone agrees that the most important thing is keeping the GOP out of the White House -- and Hillary ultimately wants the presidency, and she'll have an easier time if Obama wins in 2012 with her on the ticket than if he either, 1) wins without her on the ticket, or 2) loses with or without her.

being 1st Lady is in no way comparable to being VP, and eventually POTUS.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #287
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:54 PM
Woah boy, I would be excited to see Clinton in the VP slot if that sets her up for 2016.

As for the 'Obama questioned on abortion, why he is a Christian - CNN.com', article, I find it amusing that in the US you still have to pretend to be vaguely religious (only Christian, of course) to hold public office.

It's pretty evident Obama gives more thought to cheeseburgers and basketball than to the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #288
Rock n' Roll Doggie

That is the conventional wisdom that that sets her up for 2016. I think it is overrated as a sure shot. She has profile as Secretary of State she will lose as VP. I'd stay Secretary of State and challenge the VP in the primaries. As VP, she can either be high-profiled or buried--that decision to be made by a man who no longer needs you once he is re-elected. I'd take my chances.

Now a run against him in 2012 might be interesting, but I assume it would be about as successful as Kennedy against Carter so I don't think that will go anywhere. It's too early for me to consider whether I like her chances in 2016.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #289
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
As for the 'Obama questioned on abortion, why he is a Christian - CNN.com', article, I find it amusing that in the US you still have to pretend to be vaguely religious (only Christian, of course) to hold public office.

It's pretty evident Obama gives more thought to cheeseburgers and basketball than to the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
I find it funny, too. I find it amazing that in this day and age people still feel they need to know or care about such things. Especially since your religion doesn't have squat to do with how good a public official you'll be. I can imagine Obama's probably getting incredibly tired of having to answer these questions-I know I sure would be. I'd just start saying, "Know what? That's really nobody else's business" and leave it at that.

As for Hilary running as a possible VP, well, anything's likely nowadays, who knows, but I dunno if I see her doing it. She seems pretty happy in the job she has now. I have a better chance believing she'd run in 2016, but I don't even know if she'd do so then, despite the fact that I fully believe she'd still want the job. Sure, being vice-president would set her up a lot more easily for the job of president by then, but I think she could still find plenty of ways to keep her name out there from now until 2016 if she really wants to go for it.

Also, yeah, the different demographics are important to Obama, but he managed to win with them in 2008 despite not having Hilary on his ticket, so if he could do it without her then, I don't see why he can't do it again this time.

It would be nice to have Hilary run, though, if for no other reason than to hear what an intelligent female politician sounds like. Whether or not you side with her politics, you can't deny she's a smart woman.

Angela
Old 10-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #290
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:54 AM
Is American now run by dynasties?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #291
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yes.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #292
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Is American now run by dynasties?

considering Jeb Bush will likely make a run in 2016, yes.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #293
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:54 PM
Barack took office Jan 20, 2009 Dow Jones closes at 7949

Dow closes today at 11,006

Dow is up over 38% with Obama as President
Old 10-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #294
Blue Crack Addict

Will Young Voters Ditch the Midterms? -

young people
no longer FIRED UP AND READY TO GO?
Old 10-21-2010, 10:57 PM   #295
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Don't they usually?
Old 10-21-2010, 11:05 PM   #296
Blue Crack Addict

they showed up in good numbers in 2008, I know midterms always have lower turnouts

but there was a spike up in 08 over 04 in young voters.

it will be interesting to compare 06 to this Nov.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:11 PM   #297
Blue Crack Addict

interesting how fortunes change

in 2008 everyone was telling me Bill Clinton was toxic
and he would hurt electability

now we have many Dem candidates that don't want Obama in their district but are welcoming Bill Clinton with open arms.

http://www.arirang.co.kr/News/News_V...Ne8&category=1
Old 10-22-2010, 12:09 AM   #298
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Bill Clinton's been generally respected ever since he left office. 2008 hurt him because of his little battles he (and Hilary) occasionally waged against Obama, it came across as sour grapes at times. But it doesn't take away from the general consensus among many that he was definitely one of our better presidents-the Democrats would do well to keep him in their corner.

Midterms are usually never as "glamorous" as the presidential elections for most age groups to begin with, it doesn't surprise me if young people aren't as eager this year as they were in '08. It makes me happy that many young people are still hopeful about Obama, but I fully agree they do have to stay as interested and as active now as they did then. Unfortunately, now that the Democrats have full control, they've been spending their time working (or trying to work) on the problems they were elected to solve, so they aren't able to devote as much time to "energizing the voters". Doesn't mean they still shouldn't try, though.

Angela
Old 10-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #299
Blue Crack Addict

I just hope Obama never loses the nuclear codes

Oops

Of course he's too busy secretly sending them to our ememies
Old 10-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #300
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I just got back from a Barack Obama rally in Los Angeles. The man is pure magic in person, let me tell you. Rally drew over 30k to USC and included Jerry Brown and Barbara Boxer. So, where I live at least, he can still pull them in.

The speech was rah-rah, with my highlight being when he talked about when you want to move forward in a car you shift to D when you want to go backward you shift to R, that wasn't an accident.

On a U2 note, he was played in to COBL and even gave a Bono shoutout.