Obama General Discussion II - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #241
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:06 AM
I have to say I am surprised at the collapse of support for Obama.

and in all likelihood, the big hit the Dems will take in the Nov elections

Even at two years out, I am concerned he will not get reelected.

And most of this I will not lay at his feet, but more at how fickle the American electorate are. In particular, the so-called independent voters and youth that were there in Nov 2008. But have quickly fallen away.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #242
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post

And most of this I will not lay at his feet, but more at how fickle the American electorate are. In particular, the so-called independent voters and youth that were there in Nov 2008. But have quickly fallen away.
A lot can happen in two years so I'm not ready to say he won't get reelected, but the rest of this post I strongly agree with...

Old 09-14-2010, 04:57 PM   #243
Blue Crack Addict

I didn't say he won't
I said I was concerned

I think the economy will slowly improve (it always does), unemployment will go from just under 10% to around the 8.1-8.3 range.

GOP will claim because of their 2010 pick ups, things are a little better.
We will have had 2 years of mostly gridlock.

A 'safe' GOP nom like a Romney or Pawlenty , will be able to beat Obama.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #244
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

I am an independent who supported McCain in 2008 and Bush before that. You are correct about how quickly the support for Obama has faded...of course...it's the economy (stupid).

Honestly i think Hillary should have won the nomination and then the election. But thats all water under the bridge at this point. What bothers me the most now is the deep dark underbelly of the fanatical right that has been showing its face since Obama was elected.

Another disturbing trend, almost everything bad i have ever heard about the GOP has come to light with this new "movement". Greed, hate mongering, bigotry, homophobia, racism, etc...it's all coming to pass. The more i see of this the more i realize, with these folks money and power is far more important than human life.

I fear home grown terrorism almost as much as i fear something abroad. I've heard enough idle chatter among certain wealthy older WASP types to make me think a "revolution" of some sorts is coming. Not just at the ballot box in november, mind you. These so called "patriots" are clearly hoarding supplies, ammunition, whatever they can get their hands on. They are either crazy or they are propping up the next McVeigh.

I supported Bush and the so-called "compassionate conservatives" for 8 years, but this new breed...? What is going on now is just so perverse, for someone like me it is the unthinkable. Even i have my limits to what i can take. These Tea Party assholes can go fuck themselves. I will be voting against them from here on out. And they better not tread on me either.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #245
Blue Crack Addict

CNN Political Ticker: Former GOP leader apologizes to Obama, calls Republicans ‘racist’ � -

Old 09-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #246
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

How many opposed his speech this year?

I guess it's convenient to apologize a year later when under indictment.

Although he is correct about his party.

On a similiar note I'm amused by how the hypocrisy of rants like that of Greer's last year go completely unoticed by the party voters.

The fact that Republican presidents did the same went completely unnoticed by so many. Same with the Memorial Day controversy, etc...

Yesterday Hannity was reading a report on air trying to point out that Obama was attending yet another black tie event this week. This one was for College athletes, he literally read the article word for word and then got to the sentence "The event was first started by President George Bush..." so he quickly trailed off saying "blah blah blah". He obviously didn't read the article before air time. That part wasn't important, what was important is that the Obama's are partying too hard. Yet, even though he made a very obvious on air faux pas, it will go unnoticed by his audience.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:35 AM   #247
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Indeed. They're fickle and confusing, and forget simple facts: that the economy needs to take time to heal and that problems don't get solved overnight and that they need to help out. Once again, Obama did say he wanted us all to work TOGETHER. It's amazing how quickly everyone forgot that, or did they not even hear it at all?

I know nobody wants to hear that solving problems takes time when they've got economic woes. My family's going through that sort of thing right now, too. I get the frustration. Believe me, I do. But I also know that it took a long time for us to get here, it's going to take a long time to get us out, and we'll just have to get by as best we can in the meantime. And I'm not going to yell at the government and tell them to butt out only to get pissed at them because they aren't doing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
What bothers me the most now is the deep dark underbelly of the fanatical right that has been showing its face since Obama was elected.

Another disturbing trend, almost everything bad i have ever heard about the GOP has come to light with this new "movement". Greed, hate mongering, bigotry, homophobia, racism, etc...it's all coming to pass. The more i see of this the more i realize, with these folks money and power is far more important than human life.

I fear home grown terrorism almost as much as i fear something abroad. I've heard enough idle chatter among certain wealthy older WASP types to make me think a "revolution" of some sorts is coming. Not just at the ballot box in november, mind you. These so called "patriots" are clearly hoarding supplies, ammunition, whatever they can get their hands on. They are either crazy or they are propping up the next McVeigh.

I supported Bush and the so-called "compassionate conservatives" for 8 years, but this new breed...? What is going on now is just so perverse, for someone like me it is the unthinkable. Even i have my limits to what i can take. These Tea Party assholes can go fuck themselves. I will be voting against them from here on out. And they better not tread on me either.
*Massive applause for this bit* Perfectly said. Any conservative worth their salt should be deeply embarrassed to have this ilk associated with their viewpoint. If anyone out there honest to God thinks the current Republican Party will fix the problems Obama's having difficulty fixing, they are dreaming or quite frankly delusional or something. The bottom line is that these problems were going to be difficult to solve no matter which party was in office, neither one has all the answers to take care of everything more quickly than the other side. Add in the Republican Party's toxic elements you illustrated, and I sincerely do not want to see them taking back the majority anytime soon in any faction of the government. Obama's not perfect, no, neither are the Democrats. They have a lot of work they need to do, too, they have many problems with their setup, no question. But the bigotry and fearmongering from the Republicans is just...beyond terrifying. And disgusting. And not worth supporting.

Angela
Old 09-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #248
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Yesterday Hannity was reading a report on air trying to point out that Obama was attending yet another black tie event this week. This one was for College athletes, he literally read the article word for word and then got to the sentence "The event was first started by President George Bush..." so he quickly trailed off saying "blah blah blah". He obviously didn't read the article before air time. That part wasn't important, what was important is that the Obama's are partying too hard. Yet, even though he made a very obvious on air faux pas, it will go unnoticed by his audience.
It was the parade of NCAA champions, sort of like how champions of major sports meet with the president. My university had two championship teams that made the trek to the White House, and the event got rave reviews.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #249
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I am an independent who supported McCain in 2008 and Bush before that. You are correct about how quickly the support for Obama has faded...of course...it's the economy (stupid).

Honestly i think Hillary should have won the nomination and then the election. But thats all water under the bridge at this point. What bothers me the most now is the deep dark underbelly of the fanatical right that has been showing its face since Obama was elected.

I like this post
Old 09-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #250
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:06 AM
I don't want to be an echo here, but I agree, Mrs. Garrison's post is excellent!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #251
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Here's hoping there's a lot more conservatives out there like you! Thanks for sharing.

To be honest, I'm really struggling with the midterms coming up here in Ohio. In the past I would never have considered voting a straight Democratic ticket. I would consider each candidate on their individual merits. But this year with the Republican party seemingly being hijacked by these wild-eyed hard-right fanatics I'm finding I'm uncomfortable with the GOP having any sort of advantage at either state or national level.

Thankfully I don't live in South Carolina. Sorry, but as much as I dislike the Republicans right now I could not bring myself to vote for that rube that snagged the Democratic nomination for Senate there.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #252
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post

Here's hoping there's a lot more conservatives out there like you! Thanks for sharing.

To be honest, I'm really struggling with the midterms coming up here in Ohio. In the past I would never have considered voting a straight Democratic ticket. I would consider each candidate on their individual merits. But this year with the Republican party seemingly being hijacked by these wild-eyed hard-right fanatics I'm finding I'm uncomfortable with the GOP having any sort of advantage at either state or national level.

Thankfully I don't live in South Carolina. Sorry, but as much as I dislike the Republicans right now I could not bring myself to vote for that rube that snagged the Democratic nomination for Senate there.
Thank you (and of course Pearl, Mrs S. , & M Angel too). Thing is, im not really a conservative. I realize in 2002 most of you probably thought i was, but thats not exactly the case. Im an Independent who has leaned conservative because of world events and the terror attacks. Being ex military i support the troops in everything they do, which meant i had to more or less support the war as well.

Like you i have even given serious thought to voting "straight democrat" in the mid terms just as a way to show this fanatical fringe what i think. I really can't stand these idiots, honestly they've lost me and they are every bit as bad (if not worse) than the Democratic party was from 2000 - 2006. It's pretty sad when the republicans can actually make Nancy Pelosi look sane and reasonable or even smart. But these dumbshits have somehow managed to do it. Fuck them and the horse they rode in on.

As for 2012 obviously thats a long way away. Obama hasn't exactly impressed me and Joe Biden is an idiot. Why Hillary isn't the VP is beyond me. But im telling you right now if the race in 2012 were held today and it was between Obama and the former half term Governor of Alaska, i would definitely vote Obama.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #253
ONE
love, blood, life

I agree with what was stated above, that the American public is feeble and impatient.

But it's not exactly right to just blame Obama for what's been going on(or not going on).

We live in a plutocracy, do we not? Each and every Senator and Congressperson took money from someone to pay for their campaigns; health insurance companies, banks, oil companies, just to name a few obvious ones. And each and every one of those someones will come back, when it suits them, to collect. And that's just the base form of legalized bribery that goes one between corporate America and congress; who knows what other corrupt deals are being struck in backrooms somewhere. And so that very powerful body, between having their strings pulled from above and engaging in political posturing, is in practice, an inefficient and, at least seemingly, ineffective body. And it is this way, no matter who the President is.

It astonishes me in two ways:

1. That there are consistently so many people who are perfectly willing to make careers being somebody's puppet, voting the way they're told, making some money, and not making any real difference nor doing anything that really matters.

2. That it's LEGAL! That it is within the law for Senators/Congresspeople or potential Senators/Congresspeople to take money from corporations or the people atop said corporations! It is indeed astonishing that is legal and accepted, and that nobody cares, and that so many don't even get that this is the way government works.

The reason, of course, that it's legal, is because the people who have the power to legislate differently regarding campaign finance are the same people who benefit from things being the way they are. The power to make/change campaign finance laws should be taken away from congress and given to another, independent, objective body - create one if no acceptable such body exists.

Do you guys think things will change, that corporate America will ever have less power over government than they do now? I'm seriously asking.

Anyway...my initial point was that, regarding how the economy, among other things, is handled, it is wrong to give the President all the credit or all the blame, because congress and their corporate masters share much of the responsibility.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #254
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:06 PM
Quote:

Partially in the interests of playing devil's advocate - as it's boring for everyone to agree with each other - but also because I can understand why people are disappointed with Obama, how much of the Tea Party movement do you think is driven by Obama kow-towing to Wall St by continuing with the banking bailouts, and failing to achieve any real improvement in the economy (as far as I can gather, and of course I don't live in the US)?

I guess where I'm coming from is I don't think it's all about racism, homophobia, etc.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #255
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Partially in the interests of playing devil's advocate - as it's boring for everyone to agree with each other - but also because I can understand why people are disappointed with Obama, how much of the Tea Party movement do you think is driven by Obama kow-towing to Wall St by continuing with the banking bailouts, and failing to achieve any real improvement in the economy (as far as I can gather, and of course I don't live in the US)?

I guess where I'm coming from is I don't think it's all about racism, homophobia, etc.
I think the opposition to the banking bailouts is an response rooted in emotional not rational sense. It's not very emotionally satisfying to bail out the banks, but I have not seen a convincing argument that the economy would have been better off without it or even that it wouldn not have been much worse.

Likewise blaming the sitting president for economic woes is easy, but I don't personally believe the president has that much real impact on the state of the economy. They take credit when things are good and are blamed when things aren't but neither is really accurate in my opinion.

My issue with the oppositon to Obama is that it is very simplistic and emotional rather than logical and rational.