Obama General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
and former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania.

:crack: Dear sweet god, no. Course, him running would also give Obama a strong chance at re-election...I'm hoping.

The poll's release comes as Santorum visits New Hampshire to give a speech about the midterm election results and the future of the Republican party.

Oh, gee, I wonder what his speech would consist of!

In Iowa, 21 percent of Republicans questioned as they exited the voting booth said that Romney was their likely choice in the 2012 Iowa caucuses

I can't stand Romney, but if it meant I didn't have to hear Palin's screechy, obnoxious voice and warped metaphors and such, that'd be a plus. Again, though, how good are his chances against Obama?

I'm not worried that any of the potential Republican nominees will actually have a stronger campaign than Obama-if the Republicans' message then is the same as it is now, which I'm pretty sure will be the case, then yawn. Same ol', same ol'. I'm more worried about the general public and what they're likely to buy into.

Angela

I'm liking Romney for the foreseeable future. Being first in Iowa, New Hampshire, and (I would assume) Michigan is great news for him. Assuming the economy remains the dominant issue, his chances would be very good, I think. Though that's assuming people vote on substance, which I'm not holding my breath for.

Romney won't do well in the Southern Primaries, the Bible Belt can't get past the fact that he is not a real Christian. But, like McCain he can pick up enough delegates to get the nomiation.

And given the choice between a Obama and Romney, he would win all the traditional Red States and with the right V P he could easily carry Ohio, PA, Virginaia, and Florida. Making it hard for Obama to get re-elected.

Assuming the economy remains the dominant issue, his chances would be very good, I think. Though that's assuming people vote on substance, which I'm not holding my breath for.

Vote on substance? :lol:

No, but he does have nice hair, so that will go a long way with some people.

Honestly, I think Jimmy Carter may have been the last President of real substance we've had (with Bush 1 coming in a weak second)--at least in my lifetime.

I think Romney is a solid Republican candidate, but I think the primary/caucus voters may not be so kind to him.

Though that's assuming people vote on substance

6mnLW.jpg

I for one can't wait for the Republican presidential primary to get under way. I mean that will be a total shit show and a slaughter. Just terrific!

Romney won't do well in the Southern Primaries, the Bible Belt can't get past the fact that he is not a real Christian.

That's a good point.

And given the choice between a Obama and Romney, he would win all the traditional Red States and with the right V P he could easily carry Ohio, PA, Virginaia, and Florida. Making it hard for Obama to get re-elected.

Ergh. Course, who could possibly be the ideal VP for Romney? If the Republicans want any sort of a prayer in 2012, I'm thinking that decision's going to have to hold a lot more weight this time around than it did last time. McCain was doing okay in 2008...right up until he picked Palin. Of course, there were multiple factors that came together to kill his presidential chances, but that decision certainly did not help matters at all. So if Romney did win, I'd be curious to see who his running mate would be. That could be a big factor for voters.

Vote on substance? :lol:

No, but he does have nice hair, so that will go a long way with some people.

Hehe. Yeah. Romney, substance...I'll be nice and just say, "Mmhm." I just always think he looks so incredibly slick and phony. He's like the ideal prototype of what a politician should look/act like.

No, we've still got people who got excited over Scott Brown because, hey, he drove a truck! Substance matters very little to far too many people. And then those voters get surprised and angry when nobody does anything. It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic and repetitive and maddening.

Honestly, I think Jimmy Carter may have been the last President of real substance we've had (with Bush 1 coming in a weak second)--at least in my lifetime.

Eh, I dunno about that. I'd say Clinton and Obama did/do have some actual substance to them, too.

Angela

I for one can't wait for the Republican presidential primary to get under way. I mean that will be a total shit show and a slaughter. Just terrific!

:up:

I think the whole process from primary shit show to an undoubtedly absolutely savage election will be brutal beyond precedent. And - especially as an 'impartial' observer - ridiculously entertaining.

But yes, the primaries will be magic. Please, please, please Sarah Palin, please, please, please go for it.

Eh, I dunno about that. I'd say Clinton and Obama did/do have some actual substance to them, too.

Angela

I think by substance, I mean a great career and credibility that made them a natural choice for president--as opposed to style and character.

Clinton--tons of style and charm, and incredibly smart. AR Governor--meh.

Obama (and I like him)--a brilliant man, positive, and a motivator, but...

Reagan--:lol:

Bush 2--:lol:

Bush 1--Navy officer, Director of the CIA, Congressman, VP.

Carter--Navy officer--nuclear submarine experience, Governor of a state through a difficult period. :up:

:twocents:

I think by substance, I mean a great career and credibility that made them a natural choice for president--as opposed to style and character.

Clinton--tons of style and charm, and incredibly smart. AR Governor--meh.

Obama (and I like him)--a brilliant man, positive, and a motivator, but...

Reagan--:lol:

Bush 2--:lol:

Bush 1--Navy officer, Director of the CIA, Congressman, VP.

Carter--Navy officer--nuclear submarine experience, Governor of a state through a difficult period. :up:

:twocents:

Ah. Gotcha :). In that context, yes, you make an excellent argument.

The 2012 Republican primaries will indeed be a complete and utter circus sideshow :yes:. I'll be alternately disturbed and entertained the whole way through-just so long as they don't result in any of these people actually becoming president, that is.

Angela

I haven't looked thoroughly in history to see how it truly plays out, but I am biased to support former members of the military for national political office. I think they have a better perspective on America's use of force and world role versus life-long civilians. Obviously, Bush 2 puts a massive asterisk next to that belief, but I still mostly believe it.

[I was a strong Wesley Clark supporter, but John Kerry was fine (if too timid).]

I haven't looked thoroughly in history to see how it truly plays out, but I am biased to support former members of the military for national political office. I think they have a better perspective on America's use of force and world role versus life-long civilians. Obviously, Bush 2 puts a massive asterisk next to that belief, but I still mostly believe it.

[I was a strong Wesley Clark supporter, but John Kerry was fine (if too timid).]

Bush Jr. was in the military, yes, but he never saw any action, so your argument still stands :). People who've been in the military and actually been involved in conflict firsthand tend to think the way you stated. Helps to have the actual knowledge and experience behind you before you go making decisions of that magnitude.

Angela

First putting his shoes up on the White House desk, now dancing while on an official business trip. What else will this Muslim do to disrespect the office of the POTUS?

Obama is a wonderful person and a man of the world. Unfortunately for him, a large number of Americans seem to think that's a dirty thing. EXCEPTIONALISM!!!

WASHINGTON (CNN) – As Barack Obama marks his 100th day in office, an average of the most recent national polls indicates that more than six in ten Americans approve of the job Obama's doing as president.

According to a CNN Poll of Polls compiled early Wednesday, 63 percent say they approve of how Obama's handling his duties as president. Twenty nine percent disapprove. The 63 percent figure is down three points from CNN's previous Poll of Polls, which was compiled Sunday.

The president's approval rating stood at 64 percent in a CNN poll of polls in January, just after his inauguration

"The number of Americans who think Obama has the right personal qualities to be president has gone up since the campaign last fall," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "That wasn't true for George W. Bush eight years ago, and it may be one reason why Obama's approval rating is still in the 60s."

So how does Obama compare to his predecessors in the White House around the first 100 days mark?

George W. Bush stood at 62 percent in a CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll in April 2001, Bill Clinton was at 55 percent in a CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll in April 1993, George H.W. Bush stood at 58 percent in a Gallup poll from April 1989, and Ronald Reagan was at 67 percent in a Gallup poll taken in April 1981.

"The hundred-day mark tends to fall during a period when Americans are still evaluating a new president. The danger period for most presidents comes later in their first year in office," Holland says. "Bill Clinton, for example, still had good marks after his first hundred days, but his approval rating had tanked by June of 1993. Ronald Reagan's approval rating stayed over 50 percent until November of his first year in office, but once it slipped below that mark, it stayed under 50 percent for two years. So Obama's current rating certainly does not indicate that he is out of the woods yet."

The most recent edition of the CNN Poll of Polls is an average of seven national surveys taken over the past week: CNN/Opinion Research Corporation (April 23-26), ABC/Washington Post (April 21-24), Fox/Opinion Dynamics (April 22-23), CBS/New York Times (April 22-26), Marist (April 21-23), Quinnipiac (April 21-27) and the Gallup tracking poll (April 25-27).

The Poll of Polls does not have a sampling error.

Since the study is from this week, the more positive recent economic figures may have a significant part to play.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – As Barack Obama marks his 100th day in office, an average of the most recent national polls indicates that more than six in ten Americans approve of the job Obama's doing as president.

According to a CNN Poll of Polls compiled early Wednesday, 63 percent say they approve of how Obama's handling his duties as president. Twenty nine percent disapprove. The 63 percent figure is down three points from CNN's previous Poll of Polls, which was compiled Sunday.

The president's approval rating stood at 64 percent in a CNN poll of polls in January, just after his inauguration

"The number of Americans who think Obama has the right personal qualities to be president has gone up since the campaign last fall," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "That wasn't true for George W. Bush eight years ago, and it may be one reason why Obama's approval rating is still in the 60s."

So how does Obama compare to his predecessors in the White House around the first 100 days mark?

George W. Bush stood at 62 percent in a CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll in April 2001, Bill Clinton was at 55 percent in a CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll in April 1993, George H.W. Bush stood at 58 percent in a Gallup poll from April 1989, and Ronald Reagan was at 67 percent in a Gallup poll taken in April 1981.

"The hundred-day mark tends to fall during a period when Americans are still evaluating a new president. The danger period for most presidents comes later in their first year in office," Holland says. "Bill Clinton, for example, still had good marks after his first hundred days, but his approval rating had tanked by June of 1993. Ronald Reagan's approval rating stayed over 50 percent until November of his first year in office, but once it slipped below that mark, it stayed under 50 percent for two years. So Obama's current rating certainly does not indicate that he is out of the woods yet."

The most recent edition of the CNN Poll of Polls is an average of seven national surveys taken over the past week: CNN/Opinion Research Corporation (April 23-26), ABC/Washington Post (April 21-24), Fox/Opinion Dynamics (April 22-23), CBS/New York Times (April 22-26), Marist (April 21-23), Quinnipiac (April 21-27) and the Gallup tracking poll (April 25-27).

Uhhh....hasn't he been in there well over 100 days by now? I'm not mathematician, but, isn't it more like 600+ by now?

Why are you posting an article from a year and a half ago?

Mistake presumably. :shrug: Sometimes old stuff crops up on aggregator sites for no apparent reason. No big deal.

According to a CNN Poll of Polls compiled early Wednesday, 63 percent say they approve of how Obama's handling his duties as president.

it did contain that tidbit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom