Obama General Discussion II - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #151
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Ah yes, backseat psychoanalysis. Always good for an article or two.
But, can you prove it isn't true? Can you????

Semi-seriously, there are aspects of his background that are slightly mysterious. I wouldn't go any further than that.

Arguably, anyone that voluntarily puts themselves through the living hell that is a US Presidential election campaign has potential deep-seated psychological issues.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #152
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
there are aspects of his background that are slightly mysterious. I wouldn't go any further than that.
Quote:
Arguably, anyone that voluntarily puts themselves through the living hell that is a US Presidential election campaign has potential deep-seated psychological issues.
These can be said about almost every president, at least those of the 20th century and beyond.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #153
ONE
love, blood, life

The second can, not so much the first, I'd argue. For example, Clinton, Carter, or Reagan didn't have particularly mysterious backgrounds, with the possible exception of the Whitewater 'scandal' in respect of the Clintons which turned out to be much ado about nothing.

Of course, there was a lot of stuff about Nixon and Kennedy that came out in recent years, but much of it was rumoured and hinted at even in their day.

Now, the Bushies are a different story, a lot of mysterious shit there, according to some sources.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #154
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The second can, not so much the first, I'd argue. For example, Clinton, Carter, or Reagan didn't have particularly mysterious backgrounds, with the possible exception of the Whitewater 'scandal' in respect of the Clintons which turned out to be much ado about nothing.

Of course, there was a lot of stuff about Nixon and Kennedy that came out in recent years, but much of it was rumoured and hinted at even in their day.

Now, the Bushies are a different story, a lot of mysterious shit there, according to some sources.
If I remember right there were some whisperings about things that happened in Reagan's Hollywood days, can't remember too much about Carter. But my point is that anyone who goes this far under the microscope always seems to have some kind of "mystery", because there always seems to be that one thing they aren't willing to talk about or that one thing they seemed to want covered up. Most of the time it's nothing.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #155
ONE
love, blood, life

True enough.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #156
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:11 AM
What are the mysteries in Obama's background?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #157
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
What are the mysteries in Obama's background?

um, maybe that he's not American.

i mean, have you seen his birth certificate?
Old 08-16-2010, 09:42 AM   #158
Blue Crack Addict

Huffington Post

President Obama's clarification on Saturday of his endorsement of the Ground Zero mosque (the president stressed he had not been commenting on the "wisdom" of the project) elicted groans among the White House's liberal critics, many of whom had been delighted by Obama's initial remarks.

But on Sunday it was a leading Republican who took the president to task for lacking clarity. Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) accused Obama of "trying to have it both ways" on the project, leaving the impression that he supported the construction of an Islamic cultural center in Lower Manhattan only to hide behind unobjectionable arguments about first amendment rights.

"The president is a gifted speaker and tremendous communicator," King said, during an appearance on CNN's State of the Union. "Obviously his words were carefully chosen on Friday, and the inference or the clear impression that everybody came away with was that he was supporting the mosque at ground zero, and he can parse it later on and sort of back away, but the fact is that was clearly the impression that he wanted to leave."

"All I can think is perhaps there was political pressure from people in his own party that urged him to walk back away from that on Saturday," King added. "Let me just say if [Rep.] Jerry Nadler had given a speech on this issue, nobody would have doubted where he stood and he would not have taken it back the next day. If the president was going to get into this, he should have been much more clear, much more precise and you cannot change your position from day-to-day on an issue which does go to the constitution and also goes to extreme sensitivity. That's where I'm critical of the president...for not being clear."

A leading critic of the mosque, King's comments are similar to those being aired in more progressive circles -- albeit with different long-term objectives.

But both King's remarks and the broader discussion about the president's clarification has downplayed or ignored an important element of the administration's approach, White House backers say. In endorsing the constitutionality of the Cordoba House, Obama was arguing that the rest of the debate is moot. The question was not whether there was "wisdom" in building an Islamic cultural center near Ground Zero; but rather whether there was "wisdom" in a society guaranteeing religious freedom. If the answer to the latter is "yes" (and for Obama, it clearly is) than there is no point in arguing the former. The geo-political ramifications are similar if not the same.

As Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.), a mosque defender, put it during the same segment on CNN's "State of the Union":

"We do not put the Bill of Rights, we do not put religious freedom, to a vote... I hope that people will understand that government has no role in this."
Old 08-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #159
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:11 AM
The placement of religious buildings will often draw concern. The debate isn't as simple as some make it out to be. For instance, I think if some billionaire decided to build a huge cathedral in the best part of the Vegas Strip there would be opposition.

However, most of the hype is simply to get people riled up and divided again. I personally think that allowing the mosque sends a signal we are truly a religious tolerant country. It doesn't matter that Saudi Arabia doesn't allow churches, that's something they will have to address as they want to progress as a society.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #160
Blue Crack Addict

Republican Ben Quayle, son of former gaffe-prone vice president Dan Quayle, is running for Congress in Arizona's third district. He's out with a new TV ad!

The ad opens with a close-up on Quayle staring intensely into the camera. "Barack Obama is the worst president in history," he says. "In my generation, we'll inherit a weakened country. Drug cartels in Mexico, tax cartels in D.C....what's happened to America?"

Quayle, who's been sitting, dramatically stands up. "Somebody has to go to Washington and knock the hell out of the place."

YouTube - Ben Quayle Commercial
Old 08-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #161
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

There is not a rolleyes smiley big enough.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:29 PM   #162
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
There is not a rolleyes smiley big enough.
Here you go:

Old 08-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #163
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:11 AM

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - President Obama Job Approval
Old 08-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #164
Blue Crack Addict

So diamond, you only post here now to keep us updated on how unpopular Obama is?

Nothing else to contribute?

Foxy News?
Old 08-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #165
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
However, most of the hype is simply to get people riled up and divided again. I personally think that allowing the mosque sends a signal we are truly a religious tolerant country. It doesn't matter that Saudi Arabia doesn't allow churches, that's something they will have to address as they want to progress as a society.
Exactly