Obama General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever noticed that some people just look stupid? Yeah, Stephen Baldwin is one of them. :|

ETA: Also, I thought Stevie was moving his untalented hack ass to Canada if Obama won. What's he waiting for? I wish him well since Canada is far more liberal than the U.S.:wave:

False, it was Stephen who declared on video that he would move to Canada, he also called Obama a "cultural terrorist" and challenged him to box for charity. :coocoo:

He has some mental issues.

Can't let this go by without saying it's an unfortunate comment

(and it's garbage) :tsk:

Cheney is making the calculation that there will be another terrorist attack in the next 8 years. there probably will be. so he's laying the groundwork to be able to exploit the next terrorist attack for all that it's worth.

just like he did the last one.

he's preemptively blaming Obama.

again, the preemption.

it's awful, but so is torture.

Can't let this go by without saying it's an unfortunate comment

(and it's garbage) :tsk:
It's the only thing that allowed any part of Bush's presidency to be considered a success, and they exploited the shit out of it for the entirety of his presidency. I'd be shocked if it wasn't true that Cheney is waiting to exploit another.

Cheney is making the calculation that there will be another terrorist attack in the next 8 years. there probably will be. so he's laying the groundwork to be able to exploit the next terrorist attack for all that it's worth.
cheney just needs to shut the fuck up. i'm not a fan of bush, but only cheney makes my blood boil.

I'm no Bush apologist, but I'll say this -- the man responded to Africa...and I don't recall that fact being exploited.

Um... he did more than others, let's put it that way.

He did more than conservatives wanted him to, so I have to give him that...

But it won't show up on his legacy because it was a small blip on the radar.

He increased the aid given to African countries which by itself was a good thing. But neither the US nor Europe nor any of the other industrialised countries did anything to the current terms of trade, which is very unfortunate and in many ways even offsets the positive effects of aid.
The EU even exploits aid and debt forgiveness to talk poor nations into exploitative agreements which is just despicable.

I'm no Bush apologist, but I'll say this -- the man responded to Africa...and I don't recall that fact being exploited.

Good or bad, though, there was a very pragmatic reason behind that, as there's been a kind of "cold war" between the U.S., China, and Russia to secure African natural resources over the past decade. In practice, that has meant that each of the three nations have been lavishing "charity" on individual African nations to gain their favour, and, hence, secure priority access to their national resources.

I question whether such charity would have hit the radar had this race to secure natural resources not been an issue. Globally, we've all been quite content to leave Africa in a state of disarray and subservience.

just like he did the last one.

he's preemptively blaming Obama.

Keep playing chess, Irvine. :tsk:

PC-Moses-copy-2.jpg

I laughed anyway.

(CBS) Claims that the United States is less safe under President Obama are not credible, former Secretary of State Colin Powell said on "Face the Nation" Sunday.

He also challenged criticism by some (including former Vice President Dick Cheney, who say that by not using extreme interrogation techniques such as waterboarding on terror suspects the United States is more vulnerable.

"The point is made, 'We don't waterboard anymore or use extreme interrogation techniques.' Most of those extreme interrogation techniques and waterboarding were done away with in the Bush administration," Powell said. "They've been made officially done away with in this current administration."

"The Transportation Security Administration created by George Bush is still in action working in our airports; they take care of me every day that I go to an airport," Powell told moderator Bob Schieffer.

The Office of the Director of National Intelligence was also created under President Bush, "and it is still under President Obama working hard," he said. "Our counterterrorism authorities and forces are hard at work. Our law enforcement officials are hard at work. We have gone after the enemy in Afghanistan with 50,000 more troops, more predators are striking al Qaeda and Taliban leaders in Pakistan. We have continued the policies that President Bush put in place with respect to Iraq.

"The bottom line answer is the nation is still at risk. Terrorists are out there. They're trying to get through. But to suggest that somehow we have become much less safer because of the actions of the administration, I don't think that's borne out by the facts," Powell said.

He admitted he was "surprised" by the lack of coordination among different agencies in dealing with Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, the suspect in the Christmas Day bombing attempt of an airliner.

“Should he have been given his Miranda rights either after 90 minutes or 15 hours? The story kept changing," Powell said. "I would have thought after all these years we would have had a process in place - either in the previous administration or in this administration - that when you get somebody like that, we all know how to respond and how to interrogate him, or not interrogate him. But he's in jail. He's facing trial. I don't think it will be a difficult trial to handle. And also he's still talking. They found other ways to interrogate him."

Powell stuck by his conviction that Guantanamo Bay prison facility should be closed. "I think Guantanamo has cost us a lot over the years in terms of our standing in the world and the way in which despots have hidden behind what we have at Guantanamo to justify their own positions," he said.

"I think we ought to remove this incentive that exists in the presence of Guantanamo to encourage people and to give radicals an opportunity to say, 'You see? This is what America is all about. They're all about torture and detention centers.'"

"Let's get this population of 192 sorted out," Powell said, adding that "I have no problem with them being tried here in the United States."

However, while he favors a federal court trial for Kaleid Sheik Mohammed, he said he would not have picked downtown New York City to try the alleged mastermind of the 9/11 attacks, opting rather for a secure military base, "where it would not become a circus."

WTF is ACORN anyway? I keep hearing about it, but I cannot figure it out. I thought they were an anti-gay group, then I got the impression they were pro-gay. Now they seem to give advice to people with no-money. Or maybe they help the rich avoid taxes. WTF?

That faux prostitute chick is pretty hot.

WTF is ACORN anyway? I keep hearing about it, but I cannot figure it out. I thought they were an anti-gay group, then I got the impression they were pro-gay. Now they seem to give advice to people with no-money. Or maybe they help the rich avoid taxes. WTF?

What ever it is, Chip and Dale seem to love it.

why even live in a country where you so completely disagree with the government? i honestly do not get it.

note, i'm not saying "love it or leave it" like oh yeah...like the republicans did in 02. where you had to agree with bush's tactics 100% or move to france. i'm saying why be a part of something you disagree with so much? i couldn't stand it. i just don't see any real effort on the right's part to try to change anything. just a lot of complaining. sorry, but that's how i feel. i don't even see rush limbaugh leaving, and he said he would!

Yup, conservatives literally do not live in reality.

I'm not joking, this isn't a joke. You've completely lost touch with facts, knowledge, and history.

Beyond the health reform’s effect on the medical system, it is the centerpiece of his deliberate effort to end what historians have called the age of Reagan.

Economic Scene - In Health Bill, Obama Attacks Wealth Inequality - NYTimes.com

What about the cartoon is not true? That Reagan distrusted Big Government or that Obama has done nothing but grow it since taking office?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom