Obama General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Clearly this is an administration that is pandering to the gay lobby."

It doesn't even have anything to do with being gay, but it still makes me think of this:

GayAgenda.jpg

DeMint: Obama 'distracted' from protecting the country
Posted: January 3rd, 2010 02:00 PM ET

Sen. DeMint said Sunday that the president has been 'completely distracted by other things.'

Washington (CNN) – A leading Republican critic of the administration's homeland security efforts suggested Sunday that President Obama is making mistakes similar to those the Bush administration made in fighting al Qaeda.

“He has been completely distracted by other things,” Sen. Jim DeMint OF South Carolina said on CNN’s State of the Union.

Fellow Republican Thomas Kean, who chaired the 9/11 Commission, also cited distractions in his earlier interview on State of the Union.

“We had an administration which was not focused, as it should be, on terrorism and that’s understandable,” Kean said. “They were focused on health care and global warming and the economy. That’s very understandable.”

DeMint told CNN Senior Political Analyst Gloria Borger that Obama “is not focused on building the security and intelligence apparatus of our country.”

“The last administration – President Bush – made a huge mistake,” DeMint said, “by sending the Yemenis back” – a reference to freed prisoners from the Guantanamo detainee facility who returned to terrorist activity, including two Yemenis suspected of planning attacks against the U.S. and British embassies in Sanaa after their release. “The core leadership of al Qaeda now is made of those folks who were at the Gitmo prison. We can’t make that mistake again. So, it’s not just about this administration. It’s about losing our focus on security and I’m afraid politics and political correctness has become front and center in this debate.”

Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill of Missouri , a longtime Obama backer, took issue with DeMint’s remark.

“That’s just not true,” she said. “This president is focused like a laser on how to keep this country safe.”

McCaskill noted that Obama went against the wishes of some in his own party by ordering a troop surge in Afghanistan. “This is a president that is taking strong action and is building up our intelligence community – not diminishing it.”

INDY, at this point in presidencies how many vacations did Dubya take vs Obama?

who cares about comparing the two? Doesn't Obama want to be a better president than Bush? Well, he doesn't even seem to be trying.

abcnews.com

ABC News
Racial Referee? Critics Charge President Obama With Playing Favorites
Sen. Harry Reid's Comments, Reported in 'Game Change,' Have Stirred New National Debate on Race

By DAN HARRIS and HUMA KHAN

Jan. 12, 2010—

President Obama has been thrust into the role of racial referee amid reports of Sen. Harry Reid's remarks about his skin color, prompting some critics to question whether the president is playing favorites.

Obama was quick to forgive Reid after excerpts from a new book, "Game Change," emerged reporting that the Nevada Democrat called Obama "a 'light-skinned' black man 'with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one.'"

In an interview with TV One, Obama said, "This is a good man who's always been on the right side of history. For him to have used some unartful language in trying to praise me, and for people to try to make hay out of that makes absolutely no sense."

The president was also quick to disregard a 2007 comment by Joe Biden, who told the New York Observer, "You've got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean."

In contrast, Obama was harshly critical of radio host Don Imus' comment about the Rutgers women's basketball team. Obama, who was then senator, told ABC News' Jake Tapper in April 2007 that NBC should fire Imus for his "nappy-headed hos" reference to the team, a comment for which Imus apologized profusely.

"I understand MSNBC has suspended Mr. Imus," Obama told ABC News, "but I would also say that there's nobody on my staff who would still be working for me if they made a comment like that about anybody of any ethnic group. And I would hope that NBC ends up having that same attitude."

He also helped stir up a national debate about race last year when he jumped into the middle of the debate about whether Cambridge Police Sgt. James Crowley's arrest of renowned Harvard University scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. was a case of racial profiling.

"The Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home," Obama said in July. "What I think we know separate and apart from this incident is that there's a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately. That's just a fact."
Critics Chide President Obama's Response to Harry Reid's Remarks

Obama also called for the resignation of then-Senate Majority Republican Leader Trent Lott, who lavished praise on his home state of Mississippi for supporting Sen. Strom Thurmond's segregationist presidential campaign in 1948.

As a result, some African-Americans are taking aim at what they perceive as a double-standard, pointing to the Reid case.

"It's a very sad day that the president, because of political expediency, is giving a pass to bigotry, racism and just unadulterated ignorance," syndicated columnist Armstrong Williams said. "The president is showing no backbone and leadership. He's giving a pass to racism because he needs Reid to push his policies."

If Reid were a Republican, Williams said, the president "would have spared no time sending out a lynch mob."

Others echoed similar remarks.

"I think that the president of the United States has to stop having a lack of courage when it comes to the issue of race," said Michael Eric Dyson, professor of sociology at Georgetown University. "He is loathe to address the issue of race. Barack Obama runs from race like most black men run from the cops."

But other scholars said Obama is doing a good job handling the very sensitive job of racial arbitration.

"So I think Obama takes these statements one at a time and looks at the substance of them, and decides whether or not it's worth getting involved," said Clarence Page, a columnist for the Chicago Tribune.

Page has said Obama may be seen as a "post-racial president," but he's not post-racism, a sentiment echoed by other scholars.

"Race is a serious problem," said Lani Guinier, a professor at Harvard Law School. "We are not post-racial. We are not racist in the same way that the United States might have been years ago, but race is an important sociological, economic and social fact."

One person Obama has refrained from commenting on is former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, who told Esquire he's "blacker than Barack Obama."

"It's such a cynical business, and most of the people in the business are full of s**t and phonies, but I was real, man -- and am real," the ousted governor told the magazine. "This guy, he was catapulted in on hope and change, what we hope the guy is. What the f**k? Everything he's saying's on the teleprompter. I'm blacker than Barack Obama. I shined shoes. I grew up in a five-room apartment. My father had a little laundromat in a black community not far from where we lived. I saw it all growing up."

Blagojevich later apologized for what he called "stupid comments."

As for Reid, he has said he wants to move beyond the remark and is "not going to dwell on this anymore.

"We have a lot of work to do," Reid said Monday. "I'll continue to do my very best for the people of Nevada and this country. I'm not going to dwell on this anymore. It's in the book, and I've made all the statements I'm going to."

But even if this issue simmers down, it is unlikely to be the last time Obama will be called on to play the part of the referee.

Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., became Monday the first Democratic senator to openly criticize Reid's comments. He told ABC affiliate WISN that the Senate majority leader's comments on Obama's race are "racially insensitive" and that he is considering whether to call for Reid to step down as majority leader.

You want a conspiracy: How can terrorists even exist in a world where Chuck Norris exists? If Chuck gets rid of terrorists, how can any terrorists be? Only three options: 1.) There are no terrorists. 2.) There is no Chuck Norris. 3.) Chuck Norris is not good at his job. I think we'd all agree that 3 is outright crazy, so it has to be #1 or #2.

I just blew your fucking minds, FYM. BAM!

It's 4.) Chuck Norris needs some terrorists to remain in society in order to justify his existence.

You want a conspiracy: How can terrorists even exist in a world where Chuck Norris exists? If Chuck gets rid of terrorists, how can any terrorists be? Only three options: 1.) There are no terrorists. 2.) There is no Chuck Norris. 3.) Chuck Norris is not good at his job. I think we'd all agree that 3 is outright crazy, so it has to be #1 or #2.

I just blew your fucking minds, FYM. BAM!

4) As a mortal, Chuck Norris is confined by the laws of time and physics and thus not able to travel fast enough around the globe to keep up with the horde of newly recruited terrorists on the Martyrs Against Gitmo fast-track.

Obama to Nationalize Student Lending with Pending Budget Bill
Wednesday, January 20, 2010

CNSNews.com) – A bill currently before the Senate would empower the Obama administration to nationalize the student lending industry, eliminating the federally subsidized private loans millions of university students rely on to finance their educations.

Under the system proposed by Obama, the government would cut private lenders out of the picture entirely, setting the interest rates and collecting payments directly for all student lending.

Let me guess. The president didn't want to run the student loan industry. Why, he has enough on his plate fixing the economy, creating and saving jobs, managing two wars, reforming health care, overseeing the two car companies he didn't want to run either ... :down:

Let me guess. The president didn't want to run the student loan industry. Why, he has enough on his plate fixing the economy, creating and saving jobs, managing two wars, directing health care reform... :down:

This industry is already heavily government subsidized, so perhaps the government can share the profits instead of shouldering all the losses.

This industry is already heavily government subsidized, so perhaps the government can share the profits instead of shouldering all the losses.

Sounds like the argument for Obamacare. We can only fix the problems in health care caused by government inefficiency, regulations, mandates and market distortions with MORE government inefficiency, regulations, mandates and market distortions.

Sounds like the argument for Obamacare. We can only fix the problems in health care caused by government inefficiency, regulations, mandates and market distortions with MORE government inefficiency, regulations, mandates and market distortions.

Point taken, in the sense that there should be a broader discussion about the future of education and the cost of it. I'm concerned about anything that avoids "market forces" through loans, which just inflate the cost even more in the long run until even the loans are unaffordable.

Point taken, in the sense that there should be a broader discussion about the future of education and the cost of it. I'm concerned about anything that avoids "market forces" through loans, which just inflate the cost even more in the long run until even the loans are unaffordable.

We agree.
cheers.gif

i actually feel kind of bad for the guy. his country is loaded to the gills with lunatics... then again, it's his fault for even wanting the job anyway. it's lose-lose.

note that i didn't say all americans are lunatics. obviously that's not the case... but holy shit do they ever come out of the woodwork in droves. the glen beck crowd are sure getting crazy with the cheez wiz these days.

Obama Calls Team From 2008 for Races in Fall - NYTimes.com

Obama Calls Team From 2008 for Races in Fall

WASHINGTON — President Obama is reconstituting the team that helped him win the White House to counter Republican challenges in the midterm elections and recalibrate after political setbacks that have narrowed his legislative ambitions.

Mr. Obama has asked his former campaign manager, David Plouffe, to oversee House, Senate and governor’s races to stave off a hemorrhage of seats in the fall. The president ordered a review of the Democratic political operation — from the White House to party committees — after last week’s Republican victory in the Massachusetts Senate race, aides said.

In addition to Mr. Plouffe, who will primarily work from the Democratic National Committee in consultation with the White House, several top operatives from the Obama campaign will be dispatched across the country to advise major races as part of the president’s attempt to take greater control over the midterm elections, aides said.

“We are turning the corner to a much more political season,” said David Axelrod, a senior adviser to the president, who confirmed Mr. Plouffe’s role. “We are going to evaluate what we need to do to get timely intelligence and early warnings so we don’t face situations like we did in Massachusetts.”

As Mr. Obama prepares to deliver his State of the Union address on Wednesday and lay out his initiatives for the second year of his presidency, his decision to take greater control of the party’s politics signals a new approach. The White House is searching for ways to respond to panic among Democrats over the possible demise of his health care bill and a political landscape being reshaped by a wave of populism.

Yet improving the tactical operations addresses only one part of his challenge. A more complicated discussion under way, advisers said, is how to sharpen the president’s message and leadership style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom