Obama General Discussion - Page 61 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #901
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,272
Local Time: 10:44 AM
I'll go through that article more thoroughly soon, too, MrsSpringsteen. I've heard a bit about the flak the general's been taking for a comment in there, so now I'm really curious to read the full story.

I like that bit about Obama and his steps to help make fatherhood more of a priority. That's really nice . Some excellent ideas in there, too. I know his work has taken time away from his daughters, and I really feel for him and his family in regards to that. But from what I've observed, they seem to be growing up wonderfully, and it's obvious he loves them dearly, so I'd say he's doing fine.

Angela
__________________

__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #902
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,999
Local Time: 11:44 AM


An open letter from actor Jon Voight to President Obama:

June 22, 2010

Dear President Obama:

You will be the first American president that lied to the Jewish people, and the American people as well, when you said that you would defend Israel, the only Democratic state in the Middle East, against all their enemies. You have done just the opposite. You have propagandized Israel, until they look like they are everyone's enemy - and it has resonated throughout the world. You are putting Israel in harm's way, and you have promoted anti-Semitism throughout the world.

You have brought this to a people who have given the world the Ten Commandments and most laws we live by today. The Jewish people have given the world our greatest scientist and philosophers, and the cures for many diseases, and now you play a very dangerous game so you can look like a true martyr to what you see and say are the underdogs. But the underdogs you defend are murderers and criminals and want Israel eradicated.

You have brought to Arizona a civil war, once again defending the criminals and illegals, creating a meltdown for good, loyal, law-abiding citizens. Your destruction of this country may never be remedied, and we may never recover. I pray to God you stop, and I hope the people in this great country realize your agenda is not for the betterment of mankind, but for the betterment of your politics.

With heartfelt and deep concern for America and Israel,

Jon Voight
__________________

__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #903
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,272
Local Time: 10:44 AM
...

Quote:
and you have promoted anti-Semitism throughout the world.
Yep, that's right, it's all Obama's fault. 'Cause we all know that anti-Semitism never existed, not until he came along.

Quote:
You have brought to Arizona a civil war
He's not the one who came up with the law. There was no "civil war" until that law was enacted, and that wasn't Obama's doing.

Quote:
I pray to God you stop
Funny, I could say the same thing to you, Mr. Voight.

I don't get some people. I really, truly don't.

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #904
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,698
Local Time: 10:44 AM
Dear Jon Voight,

Stick to acting and being a shitty father.

BVS
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 06-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #905
Refugee
 
U2387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,217
Local Time: 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post


An open letter from actor Jon Voight to President Obama:

June 22, 2010

Dear President Obama:

You will be the first American president that lied to the Jewish people, and the American people as well, when you said that you would defend Israel, the only Democratic state in the Middle East, against all their enemies. You have done just the opposite. You have propagandized Israel, until they look like they are everyone's enemy - and it has resonated throughout the world. You are putting Israel in harm's way, and you have promoted anti-Semitism throughout the world.

You have brought this to a people who have given the world the Ten Commandments and most laws we live by today. The Jewish people have given the world our greatest scientist and philosophers, and the cures for many diseases, and now you play a very dangerous game so you can look like a true martyr to what you see and say are the underdogs. But the underdogs you defend are murderers and criminals and want Israel eradicated.

You have brought to Arizona a civil war, once again defending the criminals and illegals, creating a meltdown for good, loyal, law-abiding citizens. Your destruction of this country may never be remedied, and we may never recover. I pray to God you stop, and I hope the people in this great country realize your agenda is not for the betterment of mankind, but for the betterment of your politics.

With heartfelt and deep concern for America and Israel,

Jon Voight
One of the stupidest things I have ever read.

Israel is doing a good job of propagandizing themselves with their actions.

Obama is just the 1st President in a while with some small amount of balls(he still heavily favors Israel, and ok by me to some extent, they are an ally) to tell them they are not always right. When Israel is an obstacle to the solution to a problem we have dealt with for decades, then Obama has not been afraid to say so.

Israel is not a democracy by any objective standard when 3 of 9 million can not vote: Media Lens :: View topic - Neve Gordon | The only democracy in the Middle East? 03Feb04

I am not familiar with this author so I can not endorse all of his views, nor can I say that I even agree with him on most things, but the claims he made here have not been debunked in any credible place.

As for Arizona, please. I have never seen such a brain dead uproar from both the right and the left over a law that is being used for politics only by both sides. De facto, it changes nothing in Arizona with regards to dealing with illegals.
__________________
U2387 is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #906
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,887
Local Time: 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post
It seems like the situation in Afghanistan has been overshadowed by the spill, and Arizona before that, and health care before that.

Too bad it takes something like this to get the war back in the news.
__________________
Bluer White is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #907
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,501
Local Time: 11:44 AM
^ agreed.

we've been there for almost 10 years. beginning to think we should just cut out losses and continue to send in the drones.

what Bush hath wrought ...
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #908
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,698
Local Time: 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
It seems like the situation in Afghanistan has been overshadowed by the spill, and Arizona before that, and health care before that.

Too bad it takes something like this to get the war back in the news.
Yep, it's important to continually show the world exactly how unprepared Bush really was.

I like that you and I are agreeing as of late.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 06-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #909
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
It seems like the situation in Afghanistan has been overshadowed by the spill, and Arizona before that, and health care before that.

Too bad it takes something like this to get the war back in the news.
really

it is on my radar everyday

I read a newspaper, everyday, at least one, watch a couple of news programs and listen to different ones on the radio

Afghanistan, Iraq, Kyrgyzstan, Iran, Pakistan, Gaza, Israel, etc are reported on everyday.

The question really is do people have the ability to digest the information that is out there,
or are they only capable of discussing 2-3 things at a time?

Afghanistan and Iraq are in bad shape because the Bush Administration never set them up in a way that they would succeed. Iraq it just terrible, it is worse off now, in terms of quality of life for the Iraqi people, then before the U S invasion and occupation.
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #910
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,501
Local Time: 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Iraq it just terrible, it is worse off now, in terms of quality of life for the Iraqi people, then before the U S invasion and occupation.

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #911
Refugee
 
U2387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,217
Local Time: 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
really

it is on my radar everyday

I read a newspaper, everyday, at least one, watch a couple of news programs and listen to different ones on the radio

Afghanistan, Iraq, Kyrgyzstan, Iran, Pakistan, Gaza, Israel, etc are reported on everyday.

The question really is do people have the ability to digest the information that is out there,
or are they only capable of discussing 2-3 things at a time?

Afghanistan and Iraq are in bad shape because the Bush Administration never set them up in a way that they would succeed. Iraq it just terrible, it is worse off now, in terms of quality of life for the Iraqi people, then before the U S invasion and occupation.
Great post!

Its out there for those looking for it.

I know he has a bias, he's the Democratic Vice President, but I just finished Joe Biden's book today(I started it in Sept 2008, long story, but life has been difficult since then and I haven't got back around to it until recently). As the then- Chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, the man has amazing insight and inside information that he shares regarding the situation in Afghanistan in 2001. He, Lugar(R-IN) and Hagel(R-NEB) continually pressed Bush for more troops and reconstruction money for Afghanistan in late 2001 and early 2002 only to be told "we're done, the Taliban is gone, no need for a commitment, if they come back, we'll just drain the swamp."

Well, that has just worked out great, hasn't it?

He chronicles very well, through recounting details of personal conversations with Colin Powell, just how deep the divide was between Powell and Cheney/Rumsfeld. Say what you want about Biden, but he was one of a few people in a position to see up close the inner workings of the Bush administration from a critical perspective when they were making the worst of their foreign policy decisions.

Biden also warned Bush that if we don't commit to helping Karzai build a strong government now and live up to our promises the Afghan people, they will turn against us, as will Karzai in order to maintain public support. Well, that 2002 prediction turned out to be right on the mark! Karzai is obviously not a boy scout, but what governing prospect in Afghanistan would be? The anti US bullshit, the threats to join the Taliban, etc, are simply realpolitik and and come to us as a reaction to our abandonment of the entire country until very recently.

You don't have to support or oppose Obama's Afghan policy to see that Bush left him, like he did with so many other situations, a real, real mess.

Biden also says in his book that history will judge Bush harshly not because of mistakes he made(we all make those, if anyone knows that, its Joe himself, lol!!) but because of opportunities he missed.
__________________
U2387 is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #912
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,272
Local Time: 10:44 AM
Yeah, it's pretty obvious that proper management and something resembling a PLAN were totally absent from Afghanistan (and Iraq as well). I fully agree, we should keep hounding on about this problem more often, I'd be very interested in hearing what's going on lately in that country and how the war effort's doing.

It's been long enough. It's really time to just let everyone come home now. Right now. That's my personal feeling.

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:53 PM   #913
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post

It's been long enough. It's really time to just let everyone come home now. Right now. That's my personal feeling.

Angela

Yes, it has gone on for far too long and there is no direction right now on what to do there. But just pulling out, IMO, seems to be a bad idea. There's a chance the Taliban would return to power in Afghanistan if we pull out. It would be just like in the 1980s when the U.S. ignored the country after its war with the Soviet Union, setting the stage for the Taliban to seize power.
__________________
Pearl is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #914
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2387 View Post

Israel is not a democracy by any objective standard when 3 of 9 million can not vote: Media Lens :: View topic - Neve Gordon | The only democracy in the Middle East? 03Feb04
Palestinians living in the West Bank and Gaza are NOT Israeli citizens. Israel has not annexed the West Bank and Gaza either.
__________________
Strongbow is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #915
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
^ agreed.

we've been there for almost 10 years. beginning to think we should just cut out losses and continue to send in the drones.

what Bush hath wrought ...
Just go with the drones, airstrikes eh? Guess what, there was a time when this was indeed US policy in Afganistan. It was during the Clinton administration back in August 1998 and unfortunately remained US policy until September 11, 2001!
__________________

__________________
Strongbow is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Democratic National Convention Thread MrsSpringsteen Free Your Mind 504 09-02-2008 03:37 PM
US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part III phillyfan26 Free Your Mind Archive 1001 01-30-2008 02:07 PM
MERGED--> NH predictions + Hillary's win + NH recount? 2861U2 Free Your Mind Archive 586 01-12-2008 01:50 PM
Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread Varitek Free Your Mind Archive 1003 09-23-2007 03:31 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com