Obama General Discussion - Page 56 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #826
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:18 PM
Obama is going to kick some ass

mediaite.com

Countless talk show segments, op-ed columns and blog posts in recent weeks have focused on whether President Obama is emoting enough over the oil crisis in the Gulf, and/or whether or not he is angry enough. Former Clinton press secretary (and consultant on the West Wing) Dee Dee Myers thinks it would be risky for Obama to get too angry because…he’s black. Here’s the exchange from Morning Joe today:

Norah O’Donnell: “I was sort of stunned when you just walked in and I said do you think Obama is angry enough and your response was ‘he can’t be angry because he’s black.’”

Dee Dee Myers: “I think that’s hard for him. Anger isn’t the only emotion that would be helpful in this context….I would like Obama to show a little bit more emotion but it doesn’t have to be anger.”

Joe Scarborough noted earlier in the segment that he had assumed that maybe we were beyond this sort of thinking, but “we’re not beyond it.” I have to wonder if this just isn’t another case of the media snake eating its own tail: Obama isn’t angry enough, he gets angry (or at least says “ass”) and now the conversation (mostly thanks to Drudge) is ‘is he too angry.” It’s hard not to ponder how much easier Obama’s life would be if the cablesphere didn’t have so many empty hours to fill.

Anyway, as Norah O’Donnell remarked, it was sort of a stunning assertion to make. The President can’t show anger for fear of some sort of angry black man syndrome backlash? I find that both ridiculous and offensive. Of course this morning’s Drudge banner suggests (sadly) that she may have a very small point, or at least it suggests it is not in the media’s best interests for Obama to do anything right.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #827
Blue Crack Supplier

^ "goes street"?

no, race isn't a factor at all in how conservatives view Obama.

(Drudge certainly thinks it is, hence the headline, orchestrated to appeal to white male conservatives everywhere)

Old 06-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #828
Blue Crack Addict

I didn't care that he said ass, but I would care if he responded in that way at all because of Spike Lee. He should kick his ass I have to agree with the doesn't ring true thing, it didn't for me. He is very tightly controlled emotionally, so it didn't ring true that he said that after all the criticism.

US News and World Report

CNBC Host Says Obama Sullied Office With 'Ass to Kick' Line

Becky Quick slapped Obama for using unpresidential language
By Paul Bedard
Posted June 8, 2010

Not everybody was pleased with President Obama's uncharacteristic line on the Today Show, spoken in the pre-school hours Tuesday morning, that he wants some "ass to kick" in the Gulf oil crisis.

Becky Quick, who co-hosts Squawk Box with lead anchor Joe Kernen and co-host Carl Quintanilla, slapped Obama for using unpresidential language in an interview he knew would be aired as children prepared for school.

"If you're the president of the United States and you go on the Today Show which is a morning show, where you're going to have a lot of kids sitting around watching this, I think you choose your words more carefully," said Quick. "Using the A word when you are on the Today Show talking with Matt Lauer, yeah, that disturbs me. But I also think that this is a way of trying to prove that I'm mad, to do exactly what everybody's been pushing me to do, and it doesn't ring true."

Obama has been under pressure in the media and even among his friends, notably film director Spike Lee, to air more passion when addressing the oil crisis. But Quick, who said she likes the president, said he sullied the office on the Today Show.

"When you are the president of the United States, you should speak of the office and there are events and time and places where maybe you get fired up about things. It sounded like he was using this to try and prove that he was mad and I think that's silly," she added.

"You can point to people who say these things all the time, we've used these words, but again, if you're the president of the United States and you are on the Today Show I would expect a different choice of words," she said.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #829
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
^ "goes street"?

no, race isn't a factor at all in how conservatives view Obama.

(Drudge certainly thinks it is, hence the headline, orchestrated to appeal to white male conservatives everywhere)
Yeah, I think deep pointed out recently some very racially motivated headlines from Drudge.

But they'll just deny and point at a 90 year old woman.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #830
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
"If you're the president of the United States and you go on the Today Show which is a morning show, where you're going to have a lot of kids sitting around watching this
Old 06-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #831
Blue Crack Addict

Remember we have to protect the children from S-H-I-T, so by extension ass too
Old 06-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #832
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:18 AM
First: Why aren't the kids in school? Or getting ready for it?
Two: If watching TV, shouldn't these kids be watching cartoons, like all kids do?
Old 06-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #833
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:18 PM
Yeah, there's nothing the kiddies like more than watching a rousing three hours of the Today show.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #834
Blue Crack Addict

Especially when Kathie Lee and Hoda come on. The kids love it.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #835
Blue Crack Distributor

That's nightmare-inducing stuff, right there.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #836
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

The Today Show was my favorite when I was in pre-school.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #837
Blue Crack Distributor

That explains a lot.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #838
Blue Crack Addict

Media Matters

Davis: Obama went "a little gangsta" with comment about "whose ass to kick." Filling in for Rush Limbaugh, radio host Mark Davis highlighted what he called the "audio of the day," stating that Obama had sought to use his "potty mouth" because his "leadership skills are dashed against the rocks." He then said Obama was "going a little gangsta for us to feign authoritative behavior." [Premiere Radio Networks' The Rush Limbaugh Show, 6/8/10]

Davis: Obama's comment is "like Urkel channeling Jay-Z." Later in the Limbaugh show, Davis complained that Obama's comments were "galvanizingly off-putting" because they were "so contrived and so orchestrated." He added that the comments were "like Urkel channeling Jay-Z." [The Rush Limbaugh Show, 6/8/10]

Crowley: Obama "is Carlton Banks, not Suge Knight." In a blog post headlined "Gulf Oil Leak: Carlton Banks to the Rescue!" Fox News political analyst and radio host Monica Crowley likened Obama to fictional character Carlton Banks, writing that "Obama trying to show he's an angry avenger when he's essentially an automaton isn't going to work either. He is Carlton Banks, not Suge Knight. He's a navel-gazing, community organizing law professor, not a put-a-cap-in-your-ass gangbanger."
Old 06-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #839
Blue Crack Distributor

Jesus Christ, you'd think he'd busted out with a "motherfucker" or something.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #840
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
That explains a lot.