Obama General Discussion - Page 53 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #781
Refugee

Local Time: 03:28 PM
FOXNews.com - Administration Threatens to Veto Health Spending Bill After Price Tag Jumps

Quote:
The Obama administration threatened to veto parts of its own health care bill after budget scorekeepers found that the package would add at least $115 billion more to government health care spending.

The Obama administration threatened to veto parts of its own health care bill after budget scorekeepers found that the package would add at least $115 billion more to government health care spending.

President Obama's budget office charged Congress with finding $115 billion in spending cuts or tax increases to offset the price tag hike. The figure approached the amount of money the Congressional Budget Office previously estimated the law would save, and pushed the total 10-year cost of the package past $1 trillion.
$115 billion will come in as the very low end...try an extra trillion maybe?

(We needed to pass the bill so we can find out what's in it)

Old 05-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #782
Blue Crack Addict

(CNN) -- "I need a freakin job."

That's the message on a billboard that went up in Buffalo, New York, just in time for President Obama's town hall meeting there Thursday.

On CNN's American Morning, the creator of the billboard, Jeff Baker, said he was inspired to help pay for the eye-catching gimmick because he wanted to "refocus the national dialogue" back to "basic job creation."

When the economy went south, Baker and his brother lost their 10-year-old textile business, which employed 25 people. Their family's woes are reflected throughout the city of Buffalo, which suffers from one of the country's highest poverty rates, with nearly 30 percent of its population living at or below the poverty line. Buffalo's unemployment rate is at 8.6 percent, while the national average is 9.7 percent.

"Like many other businesses in the country, we got caught in the banking collapse and were basically forced out of business," Baker said of his family business. "So for the first time in my life, I found myself as an unemployed dad and husband and person."

A Congressional Oversight Committee report out Thursday said the biggest Wall Street banks slashed their small-business loan portfolios by 9 percent between 2008 and 2009, more than double the rate at which they cut their overall lending.

And though recent indicators have suggested improvement in the job market, with employers adding 290,000 jobs in April, the most in four years, Baker said he and many others haven't seen those improvements.

"We really identify with the fact that we're in this productive nation," Baker said. "And without it, I feel we're in a bit of identity crisis."

Baker is asking for more frank discussion that leads to tangible job creation.

"I would love to sit down and talk about the small-business perspective, a beer-jobs summit with regular knuckleheads like me," he told The Buffalo News.

The billboard has inspired a Facebook movement, found by searching for inafj.org. Close to 1,000 people had said they "like" the site and had left encouraging messages on its wall when the billboard made national news Thursday morning.

President Obama's visit to Buffalo is part of his "White House to Main Street" tour. He has most recently travele

Old 05-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #783
Blue Crack Addict

I can't stand Bill Maher but I have to admit- some of that is funny

Huffington Post

Bill Maher criticized Obama's "fuddy-duddy act" at a commencement address at Hampton College last week and argued that Steve Jobs could do a better job running America than the Obama administration.

In the graduation speech, Obama slammed iPads, iPods, Xboxes, and PlayStations as a "distraction," saying the devices "turned information into a diversion that was imposing new strains on democracy."

Maher pointed out that the President's address seemed specious considering how heavily the "hip" Obama relied on social media and the Internet in his campaign.

"I know I'm being a little nit-picky, but how exactly does President Sanford and son think he got elected--by CB radio?" Maher said. "The entire campaign was based on the Internet, but in America, politicians they do that because they know Americans conflate 'out of touch' with adorable."

Maher's solution for pushing the country forward: bring in Apple.

"America needs to focus on getting Jobs -- Steve Jobs. Because something tells me that Apple would have come up with a better idea for stopping an oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico than putting a giant box on top of it," he said.

He explained why he thought Jobs and his Apple team could do a better job running America, joking that we might have to change the country's name (Hello, "iMerica."):

In 2001, Apple reinvented the record player. In 2007, the phone. This year, the computer. I say, for 2011, we let them take a crack at America. Our infrastructure, our business model, our institutions. Get rid of the stuff that's not working, replace it with something that does. For example, goodbye US Senate -- Hello Genius Bar! So good luck, Steve -- you'll need it!

Maher took a crack at McCain and Palin--whom he called "Mrs. Moron"--saying "John McCain thinks an iPad is something women wear on their Xboxes once a month."
Old 05-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #784
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:28 PM
I thought that was weird, too. I mean, not that there isn't some truth there, but considering all the talk about him being a Blackberry addict, it just comes across as hypocritical.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #785
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:28 PM
Newt Gingrich forecasts Obama loss - POLITICO.com

big (huge) predictions
Old 05-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #786
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

“Because he’s so radical...."

Newt Gingrinch has never been wrong, so I will take this as fact.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #787
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:28 PM
Quote:
State Dinner with Mexico

In the evening, the President and the First Lady will attend the State Dinner with President Calderón and Mrs. Zavala, joined by the Vice President and Dr. Biden in the East Room of the White House.
Security fence protecting the border of the White House. Of course but Arizona can't have one.

Multiple checks of identity once inside the fence. Sure, but Arizona can't do it.

President Obama bowing to the Mexican president. Priceless.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:12 PM   #788
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

And INDY not understanding the issue at all...

Normal
Old 05-19-2010, 10:36 PM   #789
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Security fence protecting the border of the White House. Of course but Arizona can't have one.

Multiple checks of identity once inside the fence. Sure, but Arizona can't do it.

President Obama bowing to the Mexican president. Priceless.

The emperor has no clothes.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:44 PM   #790
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Diamond?
Old 05-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #791
Refugee

FOXNews.com - Sestak Opens Arms to White House After Accusing It of 'Illegal' Job Offer

Quote:
In February, Sestak accused the White House of offering him a federal job last summer to drop out of the primary after abandoning its efforts to recruit
him to run when Specter switched parties. Sestak has since refused to elaborate on the allegations.

Issa has called on the Justice Department to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate the matter, and last week he pushed Attorney General Eric Holder, who has refused to say whether he's looking into it, to take action. Issa says a bribe offer would amount to "multiple felonies."

"Could the reason why Congressman Joe Sestak refuses to name names is because the very people who tried to bribe him are now his benefactors?" Issa said in a written statement Wednesday. "Was Joe Sestak embellishing what really happened or does he have first-hand knowledge of the White House breaking the law? If what he said is the truth, Joe Sestak has a moral imperative to come forward and expose who within the Obama administration tried to bribe him."
Hope and Change

(and bribes gone bad)
Old 05-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #792
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Until something more clever comes along, I like to call Obama's arrogant chin up pose...

The Mussolini.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:49 PM   #793
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah, you should have waited for "more clever"
Old 05-19-2010, 11:52 PM   #794
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever.
-- David St. Hubbins
Old 05-20-2010, 12:34 AM   #795
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

But a line none the less...