Obama General Discussion - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #526
Refugee

Local Time: 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
good luck with that. i continue to get trolled, taunted, etc. i just feel sorry for everyone else who has to suffer through it.
Great.

Any moderators reading this find this to be acceptable behavior?

I mean, the guy has proven himself to be an unreasonable troll, yet people I find far more reasonable and not trolls have been suspended and banned.

I am not completely free of my moments where I say things I should not, but as a consistent pattern.... Sting clearly has shown this.

All I know is I better not continue to get trolled or taunted by him.

Strongbow: SHUT UP, IGNORE MY POSTS AS I HAVE IGNORED YOURS AND REALIZE THAT THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THAN CONTINUING TO PROVOKE PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO DESIRE TO HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOU OR YOUR IRRATIONALITY. YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ME, PM ME. DONT PUT IT ON THE BOARD WHERE I CAN NOT SEE IT AND ACT LIKE YOU HAVE REBUTTED ME SOMEHOW.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #527
Blue Crack Supplier

ultimately, that feeds the best. i argued, for years, and nothing has gone anywhere. and in opposition to pretty much everyone else i've had a disagreement with, there was no sense of mutual respect or fun or fair play or wit. i genuinely like INDY. i genuinely like(d) NBCrusader. and Diamond has a huge crush on me. however, in this case, it was just on-and-on-and-on and pointless and had nothing to do with reality, and it got nastier over the years, which is why i did my best to stop.

but it's hard to stop. this isn't like talking about Radiohead or the Oscars. these are real life issues that have life-or-death consequences, so it's often hard to simply let things go by when you care passionately about things because it does seem like the end of the world at that moment in time. so it's hard, i understand.

ultimately, i don't think that this is much of a mod issue. if you post, someone can respond. you can ask that they not, but they are free to do so. you can ignore them, but they can still respond, and you can still read what they wrote. the poster in question might qualify as a troll, and i think with me it's extremely deliberate and competitive, but as has been noted, there's nothing defamatory or obscene or threatening (and i have been threatened by people).

so keep on doing what you're doing, U2387, and do your best to resist reading the ignored post. i don't think your requests are going to be respected, and while that is asshole behavior, that is not bannable behavior.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #528
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:19 PM

Quote:
Sen. Evan Bayh (D-Ind.) confirmed on Monday that he will not be running for re-election in 2010, citing a overly-partisan climate in Washington. The departure of Bayh, a two-term Indiana Democrat who has never lost an election either on the state or local level, leaves a gaping hole for national Democrats to fill.
How big is this? Even Indy, Mr. Partisan, voted for Evan Bayh; twice for the U.S. senate and once for governor. I'm stunned. He's a man of great integrity, who served his state well, I wish him the best and I'm glad he jumped before the canoe crashes over the falls.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #529
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
How big is this? Even Indy, Mr. Partisan, voted for Evan Bayh; twice for the U.S. senate and once for governor. I'm stunned. He's a man of great integrity, who served his state well and I wish him the best.

what's your read on this? everyone seems flummoxed.

he was going to win reelection in a landslide. this isn't someone jumping ship so as not to suffer defeat. he left, and in a manner that absolutely screwed the state's democratic party.

what's going on? something with Mrs. Bayh? is he looking at 2016?
Old 02-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #530
Refugee

Quote:

How big is this? Even Indy, Mr. Partisan, voted for Evan Bayh; twice for the U.S. senate and once for governor. I'm stunned. He's a man of great integrity, who served his state well, I wish him the best and I'm glad he jumped before the canoe crashes over the falls.
Who would step up for the Democrats? Any ideas?

Republicans: Coats have it in him? Mitch Daniels? Do you take him at his word that he'll only be governor?

To me, he seems exactly what the Republicans would want to counter someone like Palin.

I read something that said Bayh was just genuinely sick of the whole climate in Washington and that it was no secret that he has not been happy since 2006. They talked about him spending time with his wife and kids, etc and feeling that 2 terms as Governor and Senator was enough.

It looks like, as Irvine said, he would have been re elected, which the same can't be said for certain with Dodd, Reid, Lincoln, et cetera. I know Bayh has broad appeal, and I like him alot just as you do.

I know it sounds like spin, but there is precedent for this. Mark Warner was highly popular in moderate and conservative Democratic circles, as well as in the money sector of the Democratic party. He was widely viewed as a good Presidential candidate and he just all of a sudden said "absolutely not" after visiting colleges with his daughter and realizing the impact being President would have on his family.

I think good, results focused people on both sides(Hagel, Bayh, Mel Martinez, Dennis Deconcini in the 1990s) genuinely get fed up with the hyper partisanship and lack of progress. I have never worked in Congress, but I know plenty of people who have for various people in both parties. It has always seemed to me that if you or I came in from our jobs or anyone else from their own jobs, they would be shocked by how petty things are and how little gets done. This must be tough to take for someone who was a successful executive as Governor(Bayh) or a successful business person(Deconcini) or a successful prosecutor and military person(Warner). Most jobs and their previous jobs have one thing in common: you get results or you get fired.

Indy, you and I will not agree on who is to blame for this partisanship and gridlock, but we can agree that it is present and that it is unfortunate when it drives away people like Evan Bayh.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #531
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

he was going to win reelection in a landslide. this isn't someone jumping ship so as not to suffer defeat. he left, and in a manner that absolutely screwed the state's democratic party.
Maybe Indy knows more.

Some speculated that he may have had a score to settle with someone in the Democratic Party(state or national) and so he did this abruptly and just before the filing deadline. Who knows, its politics.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #532
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:19 PM
just heard a short clip on NPR

he indirectly took a shot at Reid, complaining about the Jobs bill that just got gutted

Reid gutted it, chopping from 85 billion to 15 billion (I think) in an effort to appear more fiscally responsible, he is in a tight race himself in Nevada.

and so it goes
Old 02-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #533
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:19 PM
Quote:

Obama has been far from "stay the course" but whatever the pundits keep telling you...
Old 02-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #534
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
SCANDAL: Evan Bayh Admits All-Consuming Addiction

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report) -- Just hours after rocking the political world with his surprise retirement announcement, Sen. Evan Bayh (D-Ind) said that he would undergo treatment for an "all-consuming addiction" to the popular Facebook game Farmville.

"I realized that I had to make a choice between being a United States senator and tending my imaginary farm," a tearful Mr. Bayh told reporters. "I had to look at myself in the mirror and acknowledge that I had a problem."

Majority Leader Harry Reid said that he was shocked by Sen. Bayh's admission, adding, "This is all the more surprising because he hails from a farm state, where there are plenty of actual farms he could take care of."
Old 02-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #535
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Deep, I was just wondering. . .I remember that you were very concerned about Obama's readiness for office and didn't want to vote for him because of that. A year in, do you find your fears were confirmed or unfounded or something in between.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #536
Blue Crack Addict

Obama has tried much too hard to be moderate, if you ask me. He should have been more succinct and forward with the health care bill. It would have led to more clarity. Instead, he allowed a lot of exaggeration and paranoia by one side to ruin the perception of it, and thus, ruin the bill altogether.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #537
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Deep, I was just wondering. . .I remember that you were very concerned about Obama's readiness for office and didn't want to vote for him because of that. A year in, do you find your fears were confirmed or unfounded or something in between.

What you expressed were my feelings before the Democratic Primary was concluded.

To sum it up, he has done a little better than I expected.
I think it is becoming increasingly more difficult to govern. This is true at every level of government.

Most of my left leaning friends are less than enthused with Obama.

I think things would be in worse shape if McCain had won the election.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #538
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
What you expressed were my feelings before the Democratic Primary was concluded.

To sum it up, he has done a little better than I expected.
I think it is becoming increasingly more difficult to govern. This is true at every level of government.

Most of my left leaning friends are less than enthused with Obama.

I think things would be in worse shape if McCain had won the election.

I don't think your left-leaing friends should be surprised. I always felt Obama was more centrist than the partisans on either the left or right believed him to be.

Hmmm. . .if McCain had been president? Well there would be no push for health care reform so he wouldn't have that albatross around his neck. I don't think he would have handled the economy any differently. He would have supported the stimulus package I think. I think the real arena where we'd see some big differences woudl be foreign policy. Obama made an effort to change the tone and earned a lot of political capital with the rest of the world. McCain would not have done that.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:07 PM   #539
Blue Crack Addict

there are a lot of appointments, inspectors general and things like that
not to mention Sotomayor would not be on the bench

aside from those things I don't regret even 1 per cent voting for Obama
even with the partisan stale mate we find ourselves in,
the country is better off with his election

I saw or heard of a survey somewhere recently where many Africa Americans believed that the country would not elect a black president,
they believed it would take 30 - 50 more years.

But with the Obama election they now have more hope and believe that race relations, whatever are much better.
For me, that is a huge bonus with his election
Old 02-15-2010, 10:17 PM   #540
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
not to mention Sotomayor would not be on the bench

this -- along with avoiding total economic collapse -- has been the best result from the first year of the Obama presidency.