Obama General Discussion - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #226
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
I'm not dithering. I don't disagree with Obama's position on Afghanistan. I never have.

So what would there be for me to complain about? Sorry, but your stereotyping of the liberals on this forum doesn't apply here.
Who said anything about complaining? The fact that no one commented was the main point.
__________________

__________________
Strongbow is offline  
Old 12-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #227
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Wow...

If you build the strawman they will come.


I did mention that I saw some excerts and commentary on the speech.

I was surprised by the lack of any commentary on the speech. I guess I should not be surprised by comments like the one above.
__________________

__________________
Strongbow is offline  
Old 12-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #228
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
but it's the only way they can make a point. some people have to create imaginary positions taken by imaginary people in order for their analysis-free recitation of "facts" to have any semblance of coherence.
An interesting analysis of many of your own post here.

Quote:
i've been in a vortex for the past few days, but from what i read, Obama's speech was entirely appropriate for who he is, what he is doing, and where he was going.

it could be that the Left doesn't fall all over themselves trying to defend and rationalize everything that Obama might do that they disagree with in the same way that the Right had a pathological need to explain away every time GWB got drunk and drove the SUV on the neighbor's lawn.
Well, its not so much disagreement or agreement, but the near total silence in FYM with Obama giving two huge speeches on Foreign Policy issues over the past few days.
__________________
Strongbow is offline  
Old 12-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #229
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 08:24 AM
and the "meta-point" goes whistling overhead yet again.

as ever, analysis-free posting.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 12-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #230
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Well, its not so much disagreement or agreement, but the near total silence in FYM with Obama giving two huge speeches on Foreign Policy issues over the past few days.
Couldn't possibly be that it's end-of-year for many people at work (many deals close by the 31st) and it's also exam time for students and it's also holiday time so posts in FYM are slower anyway.

But maybe you're happier being just a touch paranoid?
__________________
anitram is online now  
Old 12-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #231
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,668
Local Time: 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Couldn't possibly be that it's end-of-year for many people at work (many deals close by the 31st) and it's also exam time for students and it's also holiday time so posts in FYM are slower anyway.

But maybe you're happier being just a touch paranoid?
I've definitely noticed that the whole website is slower these days, which I attribute to being the end of the year.
__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 12-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #232
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Well, its not so much disagreement or agreement, but the near total silence in FYM with Obama giving two huge speeches on Foreign Policy issues over the past few days.
It could be indicative of the fact that everyone here knows that foreign policy is pretty much the only thing you post about.
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 12-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #233
Refugee
 
oktobergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the middle
Posts: 1,874
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
My honest personal opinion is that America is fucked and will never recover. It just costs too much to hire workers in the US, what with things like minimum wage and health care for workers. Outsourcing is the best business decision for way too many companies, and there's too many people who think allowing the private sector to do whatever the hell it wants to is the best option. Less government regulation on business leads to more for-profit measures which means that more and more jobs are going to leave the US.
I think you hit it on the mark. Sadly, but I think it's true.
__________________
oktobergirl is offline  
Old 12-11-2009, 05:46 PM   #234
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
but it's the only way they can make a point. some people have to create imaginary positions taken by imaginary people in order for their analysis-free recitation of "facts" to have any semblance of coherence.

i've been in a vortex for the past few days, but from what i read, Obama's speech was entirely appropriate for who he is, what he is doing, and where he was going.

it could be that the Left doesn't fall all over themselves trying to defend and rationalize everything that Obama might do that they disagree with in the same way that the Right had a pathological need to explain away every time GWB got drunk and drove the SUV on the neighbor's lawn.

and thus, i've made my meta-point.
George Bush was an alcoholic till 40 (and may have at one point been a crack addict), BUT WHY AREN'T LIBERALS TALKING ABOUT OBAMA AND POT USE THAT ONE TIME WHEN HE WAS A TEENAGER!?
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 12-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #235
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktobergirl View Post
I think you hit it on the mark. Sadly, but I think it's true.
I certainly don't hope that's the case, and I do think we can recover, I'm just constantly shocked by the fact that NO ONE on either side even considers the possibility that we'll never recover. It's always about when the inevitable recovery will occur, but I question whether it is inevitable at all.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 12-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #236
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Who said anything about complaining? The fact that no one commented was the main point.
What is it that you would like to hear?

I find it easier to post when there's something I disagree with. If I agree with what's happening, I'm not inclined to comment.
__________________
maycocksean is offline  
Old 12-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #237
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Couldn't possibly be that it's end-of-year for many people at work (many deals close by the 31st) and it's also exam time for students and it's also holiday time so posts in FYM are slower anyway.


How do you feel about the big speeches the President has given the past couple of weeks?
__________________
Strongbow is offline  
Old 12-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #238
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 07:24 AM
You're trying way too hard to find controversy...
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 12-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #239
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
It could be indicative of the fact that everyone here knows that foreign policy is pretty much the only thing you post about.
Really? I only bring this up because its rather unusual for this place.
__________________
Strongbow is offline  
Old 12-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #240
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
You're trying way too hard to find controversy...
LOL! So how do you feel about the Presidents speeches the past couple of weeks?
__________________

__________________
Strongbow is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Democratic National Convention Thread MrsSpringsteen Free Your Mind 504 09-02-2008 03:37 PM
US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part III phillyfan26 Free Your Mind Archive 1001 01-30-2008 02:07 PM
MERGED--> NH predictions + Hillary's win + NH recount? 2861U2 Free Your Mind Archive 586 01-12-2008 01:50 PM
Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread Varitek Free Your Mind Archive 1003 09-23-2007 03:31 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com