Obama General Discussion - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #166
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post

so you'll be rooting for failure in Afghanistan, now, because it will hurt the president?

natch.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #167
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Polling in general = sux

I mean they are still conducting landline only polls

But Rasmussen = bias sux

just sayin...

Old 12-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #168
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
and most people know that Iraq and Afghanistan are two totally different countries.

equivocation only goes so far.
True, they are different countries.

A surge strategy was much more likely to work in one than in the other.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #169
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
True, they are different countries.

A surge strategy was much more likely to work in one than in the other.

it depends upon your definition of works.

i think the president may have shown us the least bad option, but it's still bad.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:30 PM   #170
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

At Least Obama ... I'm just proud of our president when they showed him, it was nice to finally see him not bow to somebody, you know.”
-- Dennis Miller
Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 PM   #171
Blue Crack Supplier

another nontroversy!
Old 12-03-2009, 11:46 PM   #172
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I love how conservatives embrace Hollywood when the ignorance aligns with theirs...
Old 12-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #173
Refugee

Local Time: 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I'd like to see any evidence that the majority of "Little San Francisco" here was in favor of immediate withdrawal (regardless of the conditions) from Iraq or Afghanistan as you seem to imply, Sting.

Time to back up your strawmen.
In January 2007, Barack Obama came up with his plan for Iraq. It involved immediately withdrawing ALL 15 US Combat Brigades in Iraq at that time by March 31, 2008, regardless of conditions on the ground. Obama explained that the US military could not make any difference in what had become a "Civil War" and it was time for the United States to "end its involvement in a war that should have never have been fought".

He opposed the surge strategy in January 2007 which is the exact opposite of the strategy he proposed which was a unilateral withdrawal of troops without any regard for conditions on the ground.

Throughout 2007, Barack Obama supported multiple attempts by Congress to force the President into immediately starting a withdrawal without ANY regard to conditions on the ground. Conditions on the ground did not matter because in the view of Barack Obama and his democratic friends at the time, the United States was basically powerless to significantly effect conditions on the ground. Iraq was "a civil War" and the only thing that United States could do in 2007 was get out as quick as possible.

Now, I think it would be safe to say that the vast majority of people here in FYM agreed with Barack Obama on this issue back in 2007 with regards to Iraq. They supported Barack Obama's plan and congressional efforts to force the President to begin withdrawing troops PERIOD. No regard for conditions! None of the Democratic congressional bills on funding for the troops tied any of the withdrawal demands to any sort of conditions. The majority of people in here supported that, even though it was definitely the wrong policy.

Years, later, we see that the 2007 surge worked far better then even those that developed the strategy imagined it could. Even Barack Obama was forced to admit in the final months of 2008, that the surge strategy that he had so vigioursly opposed had indeed worked. Only irrational nut cases like Michael Moore still claim otherwise.

On Afghanistan, I've never claimed that the majority in here favored any sort of withdrawal from Afghanistan. In fact, my whole point with regards to Afghanistan is that FYM has been strangely silent on the matter. No significant reactions for or against.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #174
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
In January 2007, Barack Obama came up with his plan for Iraq.

January 2007, Barack Obama came up with his plan for Iraq. It involved immediately withdrawing ALL 15 US Combat Brigades in Iraq at that time by March 31, 2008, regardless of conditions on the ground..

Now, I think it would be safe to say that the vast majority of people here in FYM agreed with Barack Obama on this issue back in 2007 with regards to Iraq. They supported Barack Obama's plan and congressional efforts to force the President to begin withdrawing troops PERIOD. No regard for conditions! .
I remember all of this w perfect clarity.
Get ready for the selective memory of many here.

<>
Old 12-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #175
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Now, I think it would be safe to say that the vast majority of people here in FYM agreed with Barack Obama on this issue back in 2007 with regards to Iraq.
And that is where you'd be wrong. Believe it or not, people can support a candidate and still disagree with some of his positions.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #176
Refugee

Quote:
i haven't commented on the Obama speech because i see no good options.

but i feel further convinced that America has neither the blood nor the treasure to give to sustain a permanent colonial presence in two middle eastern countries for the next 20 years. and i don't see how that would make us any safer, at all, from radical islamist terrorism.

and, yes, i continue to blame Bush for this.
Well, I know there would be plenty of comments on this if Bush were still in office or if the President was McCain rather than Obama.

There is NO colonial US presense in Iraq, Afghanistan or anywhere else in the middle east. This idea is just absurd. The United States does have the resources to continue to provide security in these area's and cannot afford NOT too! Every policy option has cost, and its time some here considered the cost of doing the opposite, like withdrawing from Iraq or Afghanistan pre-maturely.

Bush did not create industrial society or the energy dependent needs of such a society. He did not create Saddam, or Islamic terrorism. All of these things existed long before Bush ran for President in 2000.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #177
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:39 AM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/im.../04/rel18a.pdf

hey just sayin

Old 12-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #178
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
And that is where you'd be wrong. Believe it or not, people can support a candidate and still disagree with some of his positions.
Ok, then show me the qoutes of people disagreeing in here with Barack Obama's policy in Iraq in 2007 as well the Democratic congressional attempts to start immediately withdrawing troops. The majority in here is on the left, and I don't recall anyone on the left opposing Barack Obama in 2007 or congressional democrats on policy in Iraq in 2007.

But hey, if you have some qoutes or know some people on the left that were against Obama policy on Iraq then in FYM, dig it up, it would be very interesting.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #179
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Are you expecting some post on Little San Francisco's website, or do you need to be reminded that you're literally talking about something that doesn't exist?
Come on now, we all know you exist. Surely, you must have some reaction to the Presidents speech? Lets hear it!
Old 12-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #180
Refugee

Quote:
and most people know that Iraq and Afghanistan are two totally different countries.

equivocation only goes so far.
Despite the differences between the two countries, a similar strategy of Counterinsurgency is being used in Afghanistan like the strategy that worked in Iraq, which you predicted would not work.

You have democrats on Talk shows now talking about "Clear, Hold, and Build" in Afghanistan, the same tactics they dismissed for Iraq just a couple of years earlier. Its clear now that there are many democrats who have come to realize that the surge in Iraq worked and are now advocating similar tactics in Afghanistan.