Obama Disses President Lincoln

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
"I cannot swallow whole the view of Lincoln as the Great Emancipator," Obama said. "As a law professor and civil rights lawyer and as an African-American, I am fully aware of his limited views on race. Anyone who actually reads the Emancipation Proclamation knows it was more a military document than a clarion call for justice."

http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/news/local/11992619.htm

I have been teaching this in my classroom for years....nice to see someone speak the truth.

When I first saw this thread title, I thought it said

"Osama disses President Lincoln"

I don't think Obama is necessarily dissing Lincoln - he's dissing others who have wrongly perceived what Lincoln's speech was all about in the first place.

Yes, Lincoln did the good thing legislatively, but not necessarily out of kwan, ya know? LOL. And that it is legitimate for history to understand that. :up: to you, Dread, for teaching our kids the *whole* truth!

Lincoln was better than many.

But he, like many of what some call "the founding fathers" are deified a bit.

Obama is right.

John Brown is probably one of our greatest under-appreciated Americans.

The whole proclamation was designed to give MORAL ground for the Union to stand on in the eyes of the world. He was trying to find a political way to give moral justification for the war, otherwise it was a revolution.

Se7en said:

i'm not sure what you mean here.

Moral high ground.....in the world's eyes......

Otheriwise the South was having a Revolution ala 1776.

Back
Top Bottom