Obama delivers speech on race and politics! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
Barack's speech is getting extremely positive feedback. I'll track it down online in a minute.

Now, I suppose we'll just wait and see if this is enough to pull him out of the ditch or not. It won't hurt him, I'll tell you that.
Quote:
Jesse Jackson: I'm not going to buy into the Wright 'hype'

Activists go wild over Obama speech

Attendees at the Take Back America conference were riveted as Barack Obama gave his address today on race relations in America and greeted his words with shouts of agreement and applause.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:30 PM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:54 AM
i haven't heard it.

but i've read it. as a text, is as thoughtful, insightful, and beautifully written a speech as we're likely to hear in our lifetimes.

and if you want some right-to-far-right reviews, check out the begrudgingly positive reviews on The Corner:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/

Old 03-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #48
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:54 PM
Full text of the speech here, as prepared for delivery. It's not particularly long and takes only a couple minutes to read.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-18-2008, 03:09 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:54 AM
Here is the link to the speech along with the full transcript beneath the video player.

http://my.barackobama.com/page/commu...mfelsen/gGBbJv

I am blown away by this speech. So honest. So brilliant. He made me cry once again, and I ain't apologizing for it!
My favorite part:

This part he is speaking so honestly about the ANGER in the black church.

"...And occasionally it finds voice in the church on Sunday morning, in the pulpit and in the pews. The fact that so many people are surprised to hear that anger in some of Reverend Wright’s sermons simply reminds us of the old truism that the most segregated hour in American life occurs on Sunday morning. That anger is not always productive; indeed, all too often it distracts attention from solving real problems; it keeps us from squarely facing our own complicity in our condition, and prevents the African-American community from forging the alliances it needs to bring about real change. But the anger is real; it is powerful; and to simply wish it away, to condemn it without understanding its roots, only serves to widen the chasm of misunderstanding that exists between the races."

and then wrapping it up....
wow

I would not be running for President if I didn’t believe with all my heart that this is what the vast majority of Americans want for this country. This union may never be perfect, but generation after generation has shown that it can always be perfected. And today, whenever I find myself feeling doubtful or cynical about this possibility, what gives me the most hope is the next generation – the young people whose attitudes and beliefs and openness to change have already made history in this election.

insert Ashley story... here... ( it's a great story)

“I’m here because of Ashley.” By itself, that single moment of recognition between that young white girl and that old black man is not enough. It is not enough to give health care to the sick, or jobs to the jobless, or education to our children.

But it is where we start. It is where our union grows stronger. And as so many generations have come to realize over the course of the two-hundred and twenty one years since a band of patriots signed that document in Philadelphia, that is where the perfection begins.

AMEN...

Preach it Obama!
Old 03-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Vest
I've been watching the news about "Obama's Pastor" on all the networks and what I believe I am witnessing is the assasination of Barack Obama. Maybe it's all for the better if Hillary is the nominee - if there is an economic collapse coming who the hell would want to be President. Leave it for McCain and Clinton to fight it out. From what I heard (and I admit I may not have heard it all) what Jeremiah Wright said about America is dead on RIGHT!!! It is a corrupt country (as are all countries), they have jailed a ridiculous number of young black males for minor drug use and the three strikes law is sick and twisted. Although I may change my mind right now at this particular moment I'm thinking America will get what it deserves - Hillary or McCain - not much difference between the two. You had your chance for something that could have been terrific but it seems like you've blown it. When everyone thought the media was against Hillary (it was a brilliant smokescreen) we can now see clearly this is not the case. I guess some of the same forces behind the scenes don't have to pull a trigger anymore - they can assasinate someones character through lies and exaggerations, through fear and suspicion...and of coarse race. Come to think of it I really didn't have much hope for America anyway. O.K. I actually did for a brief moment but that has completely disappeared. There is something in the air and it don't smell right. Good luck.
I've been reading emails about the Reverend Wright controversy. I saw his speech this morning. If Obama doesn't get the nomination I'm going to support Hillary.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, the powers that be want Hillary.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:46 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
I'm with you, Irvine. I fear a repeat of the 1968 convention. If something crazy happens, i.e. Superdelegates taking this nomination away from Obama, you can expect bricks through windows, riots, police, physical mental and emotional distress and the fracture of the Democratic Party.

I don't want it to happen...but I do fear it's possibility.
Damn! I hope the Superdelegates don't take the nomination away from Obama. I'll be very pissed off if they do.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
There's a LOT more to Obama than being against the war.

The youth are also actually turning out this time around. There's no comparison between Obama and McCarthy.
No, there isn't.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

it does not even need to be large-scale

the last two elections have turned on the smallest of margins

and I still believe this is only about 2 or 3 states.

if it is more than that it will be a blow out for McCain
That'll piss me off.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500
"a case of "the chickens coming home to roost."
--Malcolm X, 1963, on the assassination of JFK

"America's chickens are coming home to roost"
--Jeremiah Wright, 2001, on the first Sunday after 9/11

"But there is something that I must say to my people, who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice: In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline."
--MLK, 1963, I Have A dream speech.

Dr King saw injustice but he prayed FOR his country, not it's damnation.

Sad, truly sad to see Christians cheer this man from the pews and people here agree.
I agree.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

and, of course, you feel this way about Robertson, Fallwell, Dobson, Hagee, etc.?
Robertson is a pig. I don't like him. He pisses me off dammit!
Old 03-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #57
The Fly

Local Time: 07:54 AM
Did I strongly disagree with many of his political views? Absolutely – just as I’m sure many of you have heard remarks from your pastors, priests, or rabbis with which you strongly disagreed…

Ummm No Mr. Obama I haven't. I guess the difference between me and you is that:

1. My church focuses on the teachings of Jesus, not on the political ideology of a church and a Pastor.

2. If my Pastor had made such divisive statements, and I was touting myself to be a "Post-racial Candidate", I would find another church to attend.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, they have been.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:13 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

do you see them as no different than Wright? the same?

also, is it not possible to find good thoughts in the writings of MLK, Malcolm X, and Wright? or, like Indy seems to think, we have to choose one, and only one, since these three men are obviously incompatible.

despite the fact that their different writings illuminate the complexity of race in America.

it's never just one thing.
No, it's not.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, they have been.