Obama delivers speech on race and politics! - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2008, 10:40 AM   #226
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Would it be the same man who said something or other about being judged on the content of character?

that's the one!

Old 03-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #227
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:41 AM
Calling America arrogant?!?!?!?! *GASP* How DARE he!!!

Old 03-21-2008, 10:45 AM   #228
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Calling America arrogant?!?!?!?! *GASP* How DARE he!!!

he's a racist who hates america. we should condemn and repudiate his statements.

i blame all the members of his congregation for not walking out when MLK spewed this hateful bile and blamed America for it's problems. he said that we were *worse* than the Viet Cong!!!
Old 03-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #229
Blue Crack Addict

Oh NO!!!!!!

We should all disassociate ourselves from that man, otherwise our own judgement will be in question.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #230
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

We should all disassociate ourselves from that man, otherwise our own judgement will be in question.

too late for that.

it already is.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:03 AM   #231
Blue Crack Addict

Now I guess all the good I have done and said in my life will be torn down for the pleasure of others.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #232
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i'll give you a hint.

Republicans/Conservatives love to point out this man as being a great american, and because they say that, that then inoculates whatever racism might be inherent in any other critical thing they say of any other black person ever.
That's what happens when a political party is made up mostly of typical white people.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #233
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluer White

That's what happens when a political party is made up mostly of typical white people.

the kind of white people who get upset when a pastor reveals a politician to be nothing more than a typical black person. angry.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:37 PM   #234
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Damn angry negro...
Old 03-22-2008, 03:17 AM   #235
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

I'm glad you got my point...
Old 03-22-2008, 10:04 AM   #236
Blue Crack Addict

Rev. Wright will be preaching at a church not far from me one Sunday in April...I'm tempted to check it out but I'm afraid there might be chaos.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #237
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:41 PM
go for it
Old 03-24-2008, 10:30 AM   #238
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
pop quiz, y'all.

who wrote this:

[q]"God didn't call America to engage in a senseless, unjust war. . . . And we are criminals in that war. We've committed more war crimes almost than any nation in the world, and I'm going to continue to say it. And we won't stop it because of our pride and our arrogance as a nation. But God has a way of even putting nations in their place...[God will say:] And if you don't stop your reckless course, I'll rise up and break the backbone of your power."[/q]
You really should read the whole sermon.
God "judge" America is not at all the same as God "damn" America.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/King//..._Instinct.html

Given 2 months prior to his assassination, the final passages are eerie in their foreshadowing in the same manner his final speech, " I have been to the mountain top" was.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:00 AM   #239
Blue Crack Addict

(AP) Obama's church addresses controversy

By KAREN HAWKINS, Associated Press WriterSun Mar 23

The new pastor of Barack Obama's Chicago church said during Easter Sunday services that recent national scrutiny of the church is a test that will only make the congregation stronger.

"Any time you go through a crucifixion experience ... eventually they have to lift you up," said the Rev. Otis Moss III, who did not shy away from the controversy surrounding his predecessor at Trinity United Church of Christ, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr.

Wright retired from Trinity's pulpit last month but retains the title of senior pastor. Video from some of his more inflammatory sermons has surfaced online and on television in recent weeks.

Moss said Sunday that Wright's critics and the news media "are just lifting us up to give us the opportunity to speak love to this situation."

Obama, a Democratic presidential candidate, has responded to the flap by condemning Wright's statements but expressing admiration and support for the pastor who officiated at his wedding, baptized his two daughters and inspired the title of his best-selling book, "The Audacity of Hope."

In a speech last week that took the country's racial divide head-on, Obama — the son of a white woman from Kansas and a Kenyan father — said black anger persists over injustice in America, and whites shouldn't be surprised about the way it's expressed in sermons.

"The fact that so many people are surprised to hear that anger in some of Reverend Wright's sermons simply reminds us of the old truism that the most segregated hour in American life occurs on Sunday morning," Obama said.

Obama did not attend the Easter Sunday service.

Trinity describes itself as "Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian," a declaration some consider separatist and even racist. In recent days, a CBS News poll indicated most voters have heard at least something about Wright's comments.

But at the church itself, the "unashamedly black" identity can be seen in the African and African-American art on the walls and windows, as well as in the traditional African clothing of the choir. It can be heard in references to rapper Tupac Shakur in Moss' Easter Sunday sermon, which was titled "Gangster's Paradise."

Moss told the more than 3,000 worshippers at one of four Easter services that the controversy has opened an unprecedented dialogue about race.

"We are talking in ways we have never talked as a country," he said.

Trinity is fighting back, including by launching its own YouTube channel and blog.

The spotlight has placed the 8,000 mostly black members of the church in the unusual position of being asked to explain something deeply personal — their faith and the way that they worship.

Linda Thomas, a professor of theology and anthropology at the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago, has been a member of Trinity since 1997. She said she views the scrutiny of the church "as an opportunity for teaching."

"What's happened has opened up an opportunity to learn more about the prophetic ministry of Trinity United Church and of our awesome pastor Dr. Jeremiah Wright," she said. "And it brings in our new pastor in a big way."

She said she hopes people will realize Wright's comments have been taken out of context.

"A sound bite cannot capture ... a whole sermon," Thomas said.

___

On the Net:

Trinity United Church of Christ: http://www.tucc.org

Trinity on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/trinitychgo

Trinity's blog: http://truthabouttrinity.blogspot.com
Old 03-24-2008, 05:08 PM   #240
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Rev. Wright will be preaching at a church not far from me one Sunday in April...I'm tempted to check it out but I'm afraid there might be chaos.
Rev. Wright is going to be preaching at a church near you in April? I've been watching that stuff on CNN and Obama said he was retired.