Obama clinches, fist bumps to "Beautiful Day"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
its out of eykiw so im free

what thread here do you suggest i read, utoo?

Perhaps start here...there are many threads in FYM about Obama and various aspects of/incidents during his campaign, but that one specifically addresses platform issues.

^Joe, I would suggest going back to our 2008 campaign threads and numerous threads we have about Obama to see reasons why myself and others support Obama. I'm 19 years old and if anyone should be a starry-eyed Obama support who's only voting for him because it's the "cool" thing to do, it would be me. However, I support him for policy and vision based reasons, which you'll find in my posts in said threads. Others here are far more well spoken than me, so I hope you find all of our previous responses helpful.

"I'll be honest and admit I haven't done thorough research on Obama's platform, but that's because I don't imagine it's much different from any of the other democratic front runners."

seems to sum up that thread so far, yolland. Ill keep reading though.

Theres also a lot of 'I thinks' and 'seems', is that because he is so thorough in his speeches?

^No. I would guess it's because he hasn't been president yet, so it's impossible to definitively say how his policies will work out or what kind of leader he'll be. The same is true for McCain, Clinton, or anyone else running or who has run for president.

"I think his healthcare plan is mediocre at best. Not sure why he's being praised for it that much to be honest. " might have something to do with the fact that most of them dont know what his healthcare plan is. Social medicine is great when its quality, thats not usually the case though.

"I also give him props for being honest about his past and not trying to hide certain skeletons." thats because hes too busy trying to hide the bodieserkjghdkt

I cant do this, I hope you all get exactly what you wish for

^No. I would guess it's because he hasn't been president yet, so it's impossible to definitively say how his policies will work out or what kind of leader he'll be. The same is true for McCain, Clinton, or anyone else running or who has run for president.

My point is that he doesnt have any specific policies. His vagueness has his followers in a trance.

He does actually. They're all outlined on his website. He does get into specifics, just not in his election night speeches. However, if you listen to him day to day on the campaign trail, you would know that he gives very specific details, especially regarding the economy, healthcare, taxes, etc. The charge that he never gets specific just isn't true.

^Universal healthcare is something that should already be given to every citizen. His healthcare plan is sensible and has all the benefits a quality plan should. It covers preventive care, mental care, maternity care as well as coverage for those already sick or disabled. The benefits of the plan are similar to what federal government employees have, and that is certainly far from second class. Those of us who already have health insurance will continue to be covered and will likely pay less in premiums than we do now because the market will be better regulated. Those with Medicaid would continue to receive benefits and it would be expanded to cover more below the poverty line. All children woul be required by law to be covered with insurance which should've been done long ago. The best part of the plan, in my opinion, is that there is an option for the millions of Americans who cannot afford to purchase health insurance and those whose income leaves them uneligible for Medicaid. The government would provide subsidies to those people that would allow them to afford insurance.

He does actually. They're all outlined on his website. He does get into specifics, just not in his election night speeches. However, if you listen to him day to day on the campaign trail, you would know that he gives very specific details, especially regarding the economy, healthcare, taxes, etc. The charge that he never gets specific just isn't true.

:up: You can't accuse other people of not doing their homework if you're not going to do homework of your own. Read his policies, beliefs and plans, and then come ask us what we think about them. U2dem mentioned his website....with regard to plans and policies, it is by far the most comprehensive site of all three (including clinton in there). Moreover, his outlines are more specific about where money comes from, as opposed to Clinton's relying on everything being paid for by "repealing Bush tax cuts," or McCain's vague "streamlining of everything."

Again, bring on a discussion once you know what's there to discuss. If you just plan on listening to 10-second clips of speeches on the news or buying into his opponents' empty talking points about a lack of substance beneath the words.....well, don't bother.

And, I might add....For someone who joined Interference a week ago just to download a leaked mp3 and who's now criticizing a wealth of Interference members without making a detailed point of your own........well, you're not really building up a mountain of credibility.

Wow, now this is an intelligent, thoughtout, specific counter argument.

Yeah because specifics are so abundant in that thread. If youre comfortable with all of Obamas sketchy friends coming out to the surface lately then I wish I had some of your 'look the other way', halo placing attitude.

Good, because it's obvious who and what you are... you won't bring anything to these types of discussions. :|

and whats that?

Why the hell would I come to a U2 forum to discuss politics with what seems to be a lot of defensive hopefuls? Oh his policies are on his website? Well its a good thing all of the voters have an internet connection. Why waste time 'talking' about what really matters when you can use that time to hype yourself up? Why not just have someone jot down some policies on your website. What an impersonal waste of time that site is. How do 'they' expect to just eliminate income taxes on the middle class? Im not buying it. Sounds a lot like somthing someone would say to people knowing thats what they want to hea... read.

Why the hell would I come to a U2 forum to discuss politics with what seems to be a lot of defensive hopefuls?
If you're that quick to make sweeping, snidely contemptuous judgments about everyone here, then indeed, perhaps you shouldn't come here.

I take it you like Bob Barr...right now I'm looking at the Issues section of his campaign site, which hardly looks to be the last word in rigorous detail and step-by-step explanations of how his policy ideas would work in practice. What is it you like about him? Why do you see him as an obviously superior choice to McCain or Obama?

and whats that?

Why the hell would I come to a U2 forum to discuss politics with what seems to be a lot of defensive hopefuls? Oh his policies are on his website? Well its a good thing all of the voters have an internet connection. Why waste time 'talking' about what really matters when you can use that time to hype yourself up? Why not just have someone jot down some policies on your website. What an impersonal waste of time that site is. How do 'they' expect to just eliminate income taxes on the middle class? Im not buying it. Sounds a lot like somthing someone would say to people knowing thats what they want to hea... read.

So I guess you're just going to ignore what I said to you earlier?

and whats that?

Someone who was obviously baiting and trolling, and my educated guess... an alter.

Why the hell would I come to a U2 forum to discuss politics with what seems to be a lot of defensive hopefuls?
Why would you come in and bait, make generalizations, and make really intelligent comments about hiding bodies? :shrug:

Oh his policies are on his website? Well its a good thing all of the voters have an internet connection. Why waste time 'talking' about what really matters when you can use that time to hype yourself up? Why not just have someone jot down some policies on your website. What an impersonal waste of time that site is. How do 'they' expect to just eliminate income taxes on the middle class? Im not buying it. Sounds a lot like somthing someone would say to people knowing thats what they want to hea... read.

Show me a politician that gives specifics at this point in the game? I'm assuming you are conservative, if that's correct you had some on your side saying they were going to eliminate income tax all together.

Your points are as vague and meaningless as the ones you are trying to attack.

Wrong, kiddo. I like Ron Paul. I dont trust Obama. Ron Paul wasnt given a chance because the media didnt let him have one. Why? Because he'd have ruined the good thing these regulationless corporations have going for them. Its just kind of strange that the policies people seem to favor Obama for are almost a mirror image of what Ron Paul has been saying all along. The difference is Ron Pauls strategy made sense.

Sicy, ignore what? When you told me to stop saying things? Thats reasonable. When people make direct comments toward me Im going to respond. And isnt this free your mind? Is that as long as whatever youre freeing corresponds with what everyone else believes? Are objectionable opinions here not welcome? What kind of site is this?

OK then, 'kiddo', there's a Ron Paul thread here as well, if you've no interest in Barr.

Free Your Mind is for debate and discussion of social, political and religious issues, not for sneering at other posters about how blind and deluded and incapable of using their heads they are. The subject matter generates enough polarization as it is without people jumping into it with that sort of attitude. Take a stance on the issue (not the people posting), back it up with facts or reasoning, see what responses you get, and if no one seems able to provide the caliber of response you're looking for, then let it drop and call it a day. We certainly have our moments in here from time to time, but in general, if you can't discuss and debate without ridiculing other posters or ranting on the topic rather than calmly presenting an argument, then FYM probably isn't the place for you.

^ A pun on the 'skeletons in the closet' imagery invoked by the poster he was responding to.

If no one's interested in playing civil here, guys, then there's really no point in leaving this thread open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom