Obama clinches, fist bumps to "Beautiful Day"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
and whats that?

Why the hell would I come to a U2 forum to discuss politics with what seems to be a lot of defensive hopefuls? Oh his policies are on his website? Well its a good thing all of the voters have an internet connection. Why waste time 'talking' about what really matters when you can use that time to hype yourself up? Why not just have someone jot down some policies on your website. What an impersonal waste of time that site is. How do 'they' expect to just eliminate income taxes on the middle class? Im not buying it. Sounds a lot like somthing someone would say to people knowing thats what they want to hea... read.

Yeah, why would you come here? Just for the record, I've been voting since the Nixon administration. I observed and then read about the Regan adminstrations and how that went wrong. I voted for Bill Clinton for both of his terms, and read and studied the machine that destroyed what could have been an extraordinary time for this country. (and it was in a multitude of ways)
I have lived through Bush Sr and now Jr and read and experienced everything he has done to destroy the advances made by intellegent progressive thinkers and lawmakers. I supported Hillary Clinton and now it's obvious she isn't going to be the nominee.
I have read Barack Obamas book, I have studied his history and I think YOU don't have a clue about him if you have to go back and research his
position(s).
He will be my choice in Nov. Because I've done my homework.
A few years ago I held such high regard of John McCain and even thought I would vote for him if he ran for President. He's moved so far away or maybe just back to who & what he really is - that I can't believe I even thought I wouls vote for him.
There are so many people on this site that are so intelligent and informed and can write the way I wish I could. But I'm telling you now, don't try to insult their intelligence, because they will Tim Russert you everytime. I know you know what that means. If not, you have more homework. Peace.

find I'm having this discussion, this weird little debate, more and more, with colleagues, with readers, with liberals and moderates and miserable, deeply depressed Republicans and spiritually amped persons of all shapes and stripes and I'm having it in particular with those who seem confused, angry, unsure, thoroughly nonplussed, as they all ask me the same thing: What the hell's the big deal about Obama?

I, of course, have an answer. Sort of.

Warning: If you are a rigid pragmatist/literalist, itchingly evangelical, a scowler, a doubter, a burned-out former '60s radical with no hope left, or are otherwise unable or unwilling to parse alternative New Age speak, click away right now, because you ain't gonna like this one little bit.

Ready? It goes likes this:

Barack Obama isn't really one of us. Not in the normal way, anyway.

This is what I find myself offering up more and more in response to the whiners and the frowners and to those with broken or sadly dysfunctional karmic antennae - or no antennae at all - to all those who just don't understand and maybe even actively recoil against all this chatter about Obama's aura and feel and MLK/JFK-like vibe.

To them I say, all right, you want to know what it is? The appeal, the pull, the ethereal and magical thing that seems to enthrall millions of people from all over the world, that keeps opening up and firing into new channels of the culture normally completely unaffected by politics?

No, it's not merely his youthful vigor, or handsomeness, or even inspiring rhetoric. It is not fresh ideas or cool charisma or the fact that a black president will be historic and revolutionary in about a thousand different ways. It is something more. Even Bill Clinton, with all his effortless, winking charm, didn't have what Obama has, which is a sort of powerful luminosity, a unique high-vibration integrity.

Dismiss it all you like, but I've heard from far too many enormously smart, wise, spiritually attuned people who've been intuitively blown away by Obama's presence - not speeches, not policies, but sheer presence - to say it's just a clever marketing ploy, a slick gambit carefully orchestrated by hotshot campaign organizers who, once Obama gets into office, will suddenly turn from perky optimists to vile soul-sucking lobbyist whores, with Obama as their suddenly evil, cackling overlord.

Here's where it gets gooey. Many spiritually advanced people I know (not coweringly religious, mind you, but deeply spiritual) identify Obama as a Lightworker, that rare kind of attuned being who has the ability to lead us not merely to new foreign policies or health care plans or whatnot, but who can actually help usher in a new way of being on the planet, of relating and connecting and engaging with this bizarre earthly experiment. These kinds of people actually help us evolve. They are philosophers and peacemakers of a very high order, and they speak not just to reason or emotion, but to the soul.

The unusual thing is, true Lightworkers almost never appear on such a brutal, spiritually demeaning stage as national politics. This is why Obama is so rare. And this why he is so often compared to Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr., to those leaders in our culture whose stirring vibrations still resonate throughout our short history.

Are you rolling your eyes and scoffing? Fine by me. But you gotta wonder, why has, say, the JFK legacy lasted so long, is so vital to our national identity? Yes, the assassination canonized his legend. The Kennedy family is our version of royalty. But there's something more. Those attuned to energies beyond the literal meanings of things, these people say JFK wasn't assassinated for any typical reason you can name. It's because he was just this kind of high-vibration being, a peacemaker, at odds with the war machine, the CIA, the dark side. And it killed him.

Now, Obama. The next step. Another try. And perhaps, as Bush laid waste to the land and embarrassed the country and pummeled our national spirit into disenchanted pulp and yet ironically, in so doing has helped set the stage for an even larger and more fascinating evolutionary burp, we are finally truly ready for another Lightworker to step up.

Let me be completely clear: I'm not arguing some sort of utopian revolution, a big global group hug with Obama as some sort of happy hippie camp counselor. I'm not saying the man's going to swoop in like a superhero messiah and stop all wars and make the flowers grow and birds sing and solve world hunger and bring puppies to schoolchildren.

Please. I'm also certainly not saying he's perfect, that his presidency will be free of compromise, or slimy insiders, or great heaps of politics-as-usual. While Obama's certainly an entire universe away from George W. Bush in terms of quality, integrity, intelligence and overall inspirational energy, well, so is your dog. Hell, it isn't hard to stand far above and beyond the worst president in American history.

But there simply is no denying that extra kick. As one reader put it to me, in a way, it's not even about Obama, per se. There's a vast amount of positive energy swirling about that's been held back by the armies of BushCo darkness, and this energy has now found a conduit, a lightning rod, is now effortlessly self-organizing around Obama's candidacy. People and emotions and ideas of high and positive vibration are automatically drawn to him. It's exactly like how Bush was a magnet for the low vibrational energies of fear and war and oppression and aggression, but, you know, completely reversed. And different. And far, far better.

Don't buy any of it? Think that's all a bunch of tofu-sucking New Agey bulls-- and Obama is really a dangerously elitist political salesman whose inexperience will lead us further into darkness because, when you're talking national politics, nothing, really, ever changes? I understand. I get it. I often believe it myself.

Not this time.
Is Obama an enlightened being? / Spiritual wise ones say: This sure ain't no ordinary politician. You buying it?

The fawning of true believers is ugly.

Its just kind of strange that the policies people seem to favor Obama for are almost a mirror image of what Ron Paul has been saying all along. The difference is Ron Pauls strategy made sense.

This is laughable at best. For so many reasons, many of which were spelled out in the Ron Paul thread.

Its just kind of strange that the policies people seem to favor Obama for are almost a mirror image of what Ron Paul has been saying all along. The difference is Ron Pauls strategy made sense.

Spell it out here.

Free Your Mind is for debate and discussion of social, political and religious issues, not for sneering at other posters about how blind and deluded and incapable of using their heads they are. If you can't discuss and debate without ridiculing other posters or ranting on the topic rather than calmly presenting an argument, then FYM probably isn't the place for you.

Thank you, yolland. I've noticed this many times from a handful of posters here.

You mean the one where you attempted to smear Ron Paul, but produced little valid arguments against his actual policies?

Actually his 2 or 3 supporters in here had a hard time actually showing how he would implement his policies. i.e. income tax. They also had a hard time defending his obvious bigotry and/ or stupidity. He either is a bigot, or he was dumb enough to surround himself by bigots.

I think someone here needs to reread that thread.

^ I don't think you do, otherwise you wouldn't keep citing that.

^ I don't think you do, otherwise you wouldn't keep citing that.

i posted the smilie only because I agreed with what she said and then I quoted her because I still think that. How would you know what I think.. I really think this thread should be closed.. :grumpy: Maybe u should elaborate more as to what you actually mean.

I appologize for the smilie but it's only a IMO. Just like everyone else in this thread who has that right including the person in question.

However, having said that I don't appreciate what you said either..

I really think this thread should be closed.. :grumpy: Maybe u should elaborate more as to what you actually mean.
Sicy's point was 'BVS, if you're not going to debate him civilly, leave it alone' not 'joefun, go hang yourself'. I don't think posting a hangman smiley after joefun's next post was really in keeping with that.

No worries, it's not a big deal and I think you're right that this thread is past its sell-by date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom