O Canada, We Want to Move to Thee - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2004, 11:56 AM   #1
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:24 PM
O Canada, We Want to Move to Thee

If anyone is seriously considering relocation to the Great White North, here's some info:

http://www.marryanamerican.ca/ (I think these people are kidding, but you never know...)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/ (These people are serious.)

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:59 AM   #2
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:24 PM
I'm curious about any of the complaints our Canadian posters have about living in Canada? I know drugs are cheap, but from what I know there are some other big issues with health care (not like we don't have our own...).

Old 11-03-2004, 12:02 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Come on up and join us!

Canada is one of the least jingoistic countries you will find, and we tend not to be blatant flag-wavers, but today I can honestly say that I am really, really happy to be a Canadian.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:05 PM   #4
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:24 PM
I don't see the purpose of this thread.

I'm really, really happy to be an American!
Old 11-03-2004, 12:09 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm happy for you, but don't pretend you don't know that are many who are not.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:11 PM   #6
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by biff
I'm happy for you, but don't pretend you don't know that are many who are not.
Don't pretend to know that there's many that ARE!
Old 11-03-2004, 12:11 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

bye
Old 11-03-2004, 12:13 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

I can't wait to get out of here for a couple of days this weekend.

I'm proud to be American, btw, just so no one accuses me of ever being unpatriotic.

(I was supposed to stop posting in here today.)
Old 11-03-2004, 12:14 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Traveller

Don't pretend to know that there's many that ARE!
Actually, I wasn't. I implied no such thing.
I believe you were the one being disingenuous.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:18 PM   #10
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
I can't wait to get out of here for a couple of days this weekend.

I'm proud to be American, btw, just so no one accuses me of ever being unpatriotic.

(I was supposed to stop posting in here today.)

Same here! A few days in Canada this weekend will be a nice change but realistically, I don't know many people who will actually follow through with their threats to move.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:28 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:24 PM
and our election campaigns last about 6 weeks. and theres between 3 and 5 parties.

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave
I'm curious about any of the complaints our Canadian posters have about living in Canada? I know drugs are cheap, but from what I know there are some other big issues with health care (not like we don't have our own...).
relatively speaking, canada's health care problems seem minor.

the problems that we do have exist because the system is not perfect. at the moment it is ok. given the right funding regime and regulatory environment it would be great and perhaps approach perfection.

in short each province and territory receives health care $ from the federal gov and tops that up with their own contribution, which will obviously vary. in exchange for the cash the feds require the provs to abide by the canada health act (minimal private service delivery, minimal user fees, acceptable wait times, etc).

as you can see from this system, conflict will arise from the requirement to abide by the federal rules-provinces argue that each of their situations is unique and thus they should not be treated unilaterally. provinces have come up with various ways of responding (threats to forfeit the act and fund their own way, begin private delivery, etc.)

the real problem for 'users' is the increase in wait times. eastern ontario recently had a MRI wait of 8 weeks or so i believe. surgeries are delayed.

a recent federal : provincial deal hopes to resolve these problems however. more money was provisioned and the provinces agreed to performance indicators (for things like wait times).

the newer threat is primary care practitioners. i can't find a doctor in ottawa. none are accepting patients. i will eventually have to resort to going to the suburbs for one. there are several supposed causes: we do not give qualified doctors immigrating to the nation a fair shot at qualifying to work as one in canada, we are not producing enough doctors and those that we are producing are very attracted to the states as we are not paying nearly the same amount.

im not much of a health care user but that is my understanding. if anyone has any questions, pm me.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:37 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

Same here! A few days in Canada this weekend will be a nice chance but realistically, I don't know many people who will actually follow through with their threats to move.
I know two people who have already moved to Canada (both gay) and one who is moving to Austria this weekend. All of them have other good reasons to move (significant others, jobs, etc.) but all say that the current political climate in the US was one of the top 3 reasons.

And I have a marriage proposal from my ex-Italian boyfriend. It's all been a joke but he actually would marry me to give me an Italian passport if I wanted it.

But, this American story isn't over yet. I think everyone should relax and remain hopeful as events continue to play out on the world stage. I do believe in karma and that when we exercise our free will to promote change and it doesn't happen, it's meant to be. I'm not a Christian and am sorta down on religions in general, but I do believe in a supreme being that oversees everything that happens and this must be Its will.

And as the brilliant Cornel West said to me when I had the opportunity to meet him last year, "You be strong in your work, sistah, you be strong."
Old 11-03-2004, 12:40 PM   #13
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

I know two people who have already moved to Canada (both gay) and one who is moving to Austria this weekend. All of them have other good reasons to move (significant others, jobs, etc.) but all say that the current political climate in the US was one of the top 3 reasons.

And I have a marriage proposal from my ex-Italian boyfriend. It's all been a joke but he actually would marry me to give me an Italian passport if I wanted it.

But, this American story isn't over yet. I think everyone should relax and remain hopeful as events continue to play out on the world stage. I do believe in karma and that when we exercise our free will to promote change and it doesn't happen, it's meant to be. I'm not a Christian and am sorta down on religions in general, but I do believe in a supreme being that oversees everything that happens and this must be Its will.

And as the brilliant Cornel West said to me when I had the opportunity to meet him last year, "You be strong in your work, sistah, you be strong."
I have the same belief that whatever happens it meant to be. That's why I can have some peace and calm about this whole thing. For one reason or another this was the way it was meant to be. Whether it's to teach Americans a lesson, or it is a good and right step, I don't know. All I know is God is in charge and God knows what He's doing.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:01 PM   #14
War Child

Local Time: 11:24 PM
Ya know, if this thread wasn't created by a moderator, it would probably be closed.

Being a resident of PA, I also find this pretty offensive as well:

I DIDN'T vote for Kerry, nor did 48% of the state. Fat Ed's Philly was the only reason PA went blue.

BTW, Kerry wouldn't aprove of this thread either, as he chose SE Asia over Canada a while back...
Old 11-03-2004, 01:03 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:24 PM
They had some ex patriots from the US on CBC news the past couple weeks, one of whom was totally in tears over the whole thing, saying it was the only way she felt she had a voice..

I heard a few people on CBC radio from San Francisco saying they wanted to move to Canada - one young girl even said, "Vancouver, here I come!" San Fran and Van are quite similar in some ways I guess.