O Canada, We Want to Move to Thee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone (from the US) earlier said that generally small towns have better quality of lives than cities....and tried to argue that Canada was like a small town in comparison to the "city" of America. The funny thing is, the biggest cities in Canada have been rated as the best places in the world for quality of life. Even private American firms, such as William Mercer out New York, have rated Vancouver, BC, Canada, as the #1, #2, or #3 place to live in the world for something like six years running. Montreal, Calgary, and Toronto aren't too far behind (in the top 20 if I remember)....so if even the big cities are doing this well for quality of life, it's easy to see why the rest of the country ("small towns") is right up there as well.

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:
Someone (from the US) earlier said that generally small towns have better quality of lives than cities....and tried to argue that Canada was like a small town in comparison to the "city" of America. The funny thing is, the biggest cities in Canada have been rated as the best places in the world for quality of life. Even private American firms, such as William Mercer out New York, have rated Vancouver, BC, Canada, as the #1, #2, or #3 place to live for something like six years running. Montreal, Calgary, and Toronto aren't too far behind (in the top 20 if I remember)....so if even the big cities are doing this well for quality of life, it's easy to see why the rest of the country ("small towns") is right up there as well.

Yep! So that must mean those people's opinions make it absolute truth.

P.S. That's New York. That's not Salt Lake, etc. And, really, I have a hard time believing that. After all, the best changes yearly, as do opinions, fads...and it's all just someone's opinion.

I have heard quite the opposite about large Canadian cities from Canadians.

Who cares? Would you like to send a few bombs my way?

Michael Griffiths said:

Have you travelled Canada then?

Yes. And I've heard other Canadians' opinions of Canada.

Really, you just cannot compare the two...Canada and the U.S., no matter how hard you try. You cannot. You cannot compare the U.S. with any country. You just cannot compare anything to anything and make sweeping judgments because everything's different and not everything may be seen.

Lol.

Anyway...I'm an egalitarian. Excuse me. It's a habit. I will NEVER get over it.

U2Traveller said:

P.S. That's New York. That's not Salt Lake, etc. And, really, I have a hard time believing that. After all, the best changes yearly, as do opinions, fads...and it's all just someone's opinion.

So you're arguing that because the firm that conducted the study is from New York, that somehow detracts from its worth??? You've confused me (not hard to do, but still :wink: )

Large Canadian cities are known throughout the world for employing some of the most progressive environmental and social standards, so maybe these friends of yours should check out large cities in other places and then complain.

U2Traveller said:

Why do you only seem to listen to the Canadians that aren't happy living where they are, but you brushed off my opinion when I said that I loved Canada.

Michael Griffiths said:

So you're arguing that because the firm that conducted the study is from New York, that somehow detracts from its worth??? You've confused me (not hard to do, but still :wink: )

Large Canadian cities are known throughout the world for employing some of the most progressive environmental and social standards, so maybe these friends of yours should check out large cities in other places and then complain.

I think we are doing just fine here in the U.S., as well.

I know Salt Lake it known for being pretty progressive in a lot of areas, too. See, it's really moot, the point, don't you see?

Yes...New York is NOT the whole country, and maybe those freakin' New Yorkers have NEVER BEEN to my neck of the woods. I know some haven't.

U2Traveller said:

Yes. And I've heard other Canadians' opinions of Canada.

Really, you just cannot compare the two...Canada and the U.S., no matter how hard you try. You cannot. You cannot compare the U.S. with any country. You just cannot compare anything to anything and make sweeping judgments because everything's different and not everything may be seen.

Lol.

Anyway...I'm an egalitarian. Excuse me. It's a habit. I will NEVER get over it.
You cannot compare the US and Canada? I don't know what you mean by that. Regardless, I didn't compare them...but that's not to say one shouldn't or couldn't compare the two countries. You can do comparisons of any country in the world with any other country. Making broad and sweeping generalizations, however, is another matter altogether.

And why are you making apologies for being an egalitarian? Still, a bit confused here!

U2Traveller said:

Sorry. I don't agree. No study or no one saying it's so makes me go, okay, then it's so. I observe with my own eyes and senses, thank you.

As for the government should "give" things to the people view...well, Americans prefer to tell the government what to do.

If you're going to take the stubborn route and completely dismiss what many intellectuals and officials view as fact, then so be it. :shrug:

Oh, and government assistance isn't as bad as you make it out to be. It's not like we have our hands out to the government - we pay for it in taxes. And even though taxes are higher here, it's nice to know that in Canada, even the poorest people have equal access to basic human needs. And don't give me that crap about how people shouldn't be poor in the first place, because everyone knows that there's poverty all over the world. I think it's fantastic that a person with an annual income of $1,000 can see the same doctor that a person who earns $300,000 can see.

Michael Griffiths said:

You cannot compare the US and Canada? I don't know what you mean by that. Regardless, I didn't compare them...but that's not to say one shouldn't or couldn't compare the two countries. You can do comparisons of any country in the world with any other country. Making broad and sweeping generalizations, however, is another matter altogether.

And why are you making apologies for being an egalitarian? Still, a bit confused here!

Because it'll always make me believe we are all equal...and fight for it to be seen that way, and for it to BE that way.

Yes, you can compare, but it's like comparing apples and oranges. Try oh try to determine which is better.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:

If you're going to take the stubborn route and completely dismiss what many intellectuals and officials view as fact, then so be it. :shrug:

Oh, and government assistance isn't as bad as you make it out to be. It's not like we have our hands out to the government - we pay for it in taxes. And even though taxes are higher here, it's nice to know that in Canada, even the poorest people have equal access to basic human needs. And don't give me that crap about how people shouldn't be poor in the first place, because everyone knows that there's poverty all over the world. I think it's fantastic that a person with an annual income of $1,000 can see the same doctor that a person who earns $300,000 can see.

I think the problem is that people shouldn't freakin' HAVE an annual income of $1,000. And yes, healthcare prices should go down, and if we have anything to do about it, it will.

As a small business owner I plan on paying my employees well.

Michael Griffiths said:
Yes, Tommy Douglas was a great man.

My vote still goes to Terry Fox though! :wink:

Same! Medicare is great, but nothing can compare to the inspiration of Terry Fox.

U2Traveller said:

Hey, vice versa.

BS.

I never said anything negative about the states. I repeatedly said that I just prefer Canada. Obviously you prefer the US so that should be enough said.

There is nothing wrong with me loving my country the way you obviously love yours.

Stop being so defensive. This thread was about Americans wanting to move to the US because GWB won the Election. The reason that is wrong is because they shouldn't turn on their country like that, not because there is anything wrong with Canada.

Fine, somehow Canada is supreme, but America is STILL the only superpower. So, I guess you don't have to be supreme to be great and powerful.

Hmm. Bono isn't perfect, either. His lifestyle (like smoking) I wouldn't call high-quality. But, he's great too.

So, I guess America will just join with the not supreme but supremely great category.

We do more with what we have, I guess. Hmm. There's some truth to that. Bottom-line, the true test of greatness is what you do with what you have.

Take lemons...make lemonade. America can do that, and does.

U2Traveller said:

I think the problem is that people shouldn't freakin' HAVE an annual income of $1,000.

Of course people shouldn't. But they do. There's no easy way to get around it. However, the Canadian government is one of the few that actually does something to try to help people who can't afford to pay an arm and a leg when they desperately need to see a doctor.

U2Traveller said:
Fine, somehow Canada is supreme, but America is STILL the only superpower. So, I guess you don't have to be supreme to be great and powerful.

America is the most powerful country in the world. I don't see what your point is.

GibsonGirl said:

Of course people shouldn't. But they do. There's no easy way to get around it. However, the Canadian government is one of the few that actually does something to try to help people who can't afford to pay an arm and a leg when they desperately need to see a doctor.

Well, we prefer not to rely on the government, but we expect the government to get it together...AND we do help one another.

Souly said:

America is the most powerful country in the world. I don't see what your point is.

My point is that we did more with less, I guess, in your eyes. Like I said, and now I'm fond of this sentiment...like Bono, America is not supreme, but supremely great. Lol. We do more with what we have.

U2Traveller said:

Hmm. Bono isn't perfect, either. His lifestyle (like smoking) I wouldn't call high-quality. But, he's great too.

So, I guess America will just join with the not supreme but supremely great category.

We do more with what we have, I guess. Hmm. There's some truth to that. Bottom-line, the true test of greatness is what you do with what you have.

Take lemons...make lemonade. America can do that, and does.

I do not understand why you can't seem to wrap your head around the fact that both countries are great in their own way. You get so angry when us Canadians pump our country up, but then do the same about yours.

Canada does alot with what we have. It is a beautiful country, with amazing people and a pretty incredible social structure.

U2Traveller said:

Well, we prefer not to rely on the government, but we expect the government to get it together...AND we do help one another.

You keep saying "We", but do you really think that the low income familes that can't afford to take their kids to the doctor are happy that they can't rely on the government to help them?

Perhaps you make enough money that worries about health care costs aren't an issue to you, but they are to some people. Not thinking about those people is a very selfish attitude.

And yes, noone should have an annual income of $1,000.00. It is very sad. Maybe those people should take better care of themselves so that the government doesn't have to. But what about their children? Do they not deserve a chance because daddy dropped out of highschool or mom decided to turn to drugs?

spinninghead77 said:

I do not understand why you can't seem to wrap your head around the fact that both countries are great in their own way. You get so angry when us Canadians pump our country up, but then do the same about yours.

Canada does alot with what we have. It is a beautiful country, with amazing people and a pretty incredible social structure.

Hello. I worry about healthcare just like everbody else in America does, rich or poor.

Same here! So, I guess we're equal. There. At last. (Referring to the post before.)

Last edited:
spinninghead77 said:

:up:

spinninghead77 said:

You keep saying "We", but do you really think that the low income familes that can't afford to take their kids to the doctor are happy that they can't rely on the government to help them?

Perhaps you make enough money that worries about health care costs aren't an issue to you, but they are to some people. Not thinking about those people is a very selfish attitude.

And yes, noone should have an annual income of $1,000.00. It is very sad. Maybe those people should take better care of themselves so that the government doesn't have to. But what about their children? Do they not deserve a chance because daddy dropped out of highschool or mom decided to turn to drugs?

:up: :up: :up:

Souly said:

America is an EXTREMELY beautiful country (I live in the most beautiful part) so I can see it for myself, and the people are so wonderful, I love them, and our structure is not that bad, either. It works. It's not perfect, but hey, we all voted very smoothly.

We have work to do. But, frankly, I'm not willing to give America to the dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom