O Canada, We Want to Move to Thee - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2004, 10:16 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:03 AM
dont forget richard marx, kd lang and bryan adams.

at the same time mike myers, jim carrey, john candy and daniel lanois more than make up for it.

Old 11-04-2004, 10:23 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:03 AM
I miss Don Cherry.

Old 11-04-2004, 10:24 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

if youre really aching to hear him, i believe he is still doing his show on toronto sports radio the fan 590 (they broadcast online).
Old 11-04-2004, 10:33 AM   #49
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:03 AM
I just meant that if you truly believe in what you stand for then you'll stay and fight. It does seem wimpy to run away, if you truly believe. But, if you don't, or if you really like Canada, that's a whole other issue.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:33 AM   #50
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

I'm one of those Canadians who will be marrying an American...except that I'm going in the opposite direction and moving over there! Of all the times to be going...

He wants to move back here permanently though, for a combination of loving Canada and hating the way the US is changing. I hope American Democrats will fight to regain some balance over there before it's too late.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:34 AM   #51
Acrobat

I just meant that if you truly believe in what you stand for then you'll stay and fight. It does seem wimpy to run away, if you truly believe. But, if you don't, or if you really like Canada, that's a whole other issue.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:42 PM   #52
The Fly

*****Hello all I'm new to this site, but I felt the need to respond. I tried posting earlier but it didn't seem to work, so I will give it one more try!*****

To begin with, this is an extremely shallow thread.
I'm from Toronto, Canada - and yes, we are openly anti-American (regardless of who is in power by the way, Clinton to Bush to hypothetically Kerry). Oh, and yes the most prized trait of a Leftist, we have no backbone - we retain the same Liberal government for over a decade who have incessantly scandalized our money, and have been pubically exposed, yet we are 'afraid' of changing our precious Liberal government.
At any rate, from someone looking 'at the picture' in the United States, I can see the primary difference between extreme Liberals and hardcore Conservatives. Liberals are whiny, egotistical simpletons who will abandon their country because 'their guy didn't win' (no wonder they loved the flip flopping Kerry). A conservative losing this election would have remained and fought even harder for their country that they believe in and love.
Liberals give up easy, they don't like work. The election is over, and they want to move away? Such pathetic, melodramatic brats who never grew out of the childhood mentality of throwing a fit when things don't go their direction. Hey, guess what, you want to 'run away from home with crocodile tears', to Canada - please consider somewhere else, we are already attempting to mature our country and it's been a tough battle. We certainly don't need any more Leftist bandwagon jumpers. Besides, what happens if our Liberal government gets ousted (yeah we have elections here too), you all going to threaten to move to Holland? Probably the best place for most slacking pot-smoking hippies anyway.
A country needs people who believe in it, and fight for it, either politically or otherwise. Brave soldiers fought the Civil War, and America was born. We fought a worldwide menace, Canadians, Americans, and many others, and Hitler was defeated. But wait - oh no, Michael Moore's candidate has lost a 'democratic' election... run for the hills! So stupid and Ridiculous, it's actually borderline incomprehensible.

Congratulations President Bush (As I would have proclaimed to whoever won - it's let the best man win - you know, it's called a democracy, not a collective solipsistic ego system). But also my condolences in that you have a few million spineless twerps slinking around.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:52 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by disco2blue
Oh, and yes the most prized trait of a Leftist, we have no backbone - we retain the same Liberal government for over a decade who have incessantly scandalized our money, and have been pubically exposed, yet we are 'afraid' of changing our precious Liberal government.

I'd take a Liberal government any day over George Bush Jr. (aka. Stephen Harper) and his cronies.

And anyway, I don't think people are really being serious when they say they're going to move to Canada. It's just a knee-jerk reaction to the disappointment felt over this shoddy election. And if people want to come here, I say let them. Of course, it would be great if they stayed in the US to keep up the fight against the Republicans, but I wouldn't look at them in a lesser light because they want to live somewhere where they can have a better quality of life (excluding the whole health care issue, of course ).
Old 11-04-2004, 01:26 PM   #54
Acrobat

Quote:
*****Hello all I'm new to this site, but I felt the need to respond. I tried posting earlier but it didn't seem to work, so I will give it one more try!*****

To begin with, this is an extremely shallow thread.
I'm from Toronto, Canada - and yes, we are openly anti-American (regardless of who is in power by the way, Clinton to Bush to hypothetically Kerry). Oh, and yes the most prized trait of a Leftist, we have no backbone - we retain the same Liberal government for over a decade who have incessantly scandalized our money, and have been pubically exposed, yet we are 'afraid' of changing our precious Liberal government.
At any rate, from someone looking 'at the picture' in the United States, I can see the primary difference between extreme Liberals and hardcore Conservatives. Liberals are whiny, egotistical simpletons who will abandon their country because 'their guy didn't win' (no wonder they loved the flip flopping Kerry). A conservative losing this election would have remained and fought even harder for their country that they believe in and love.
Liberals give up easy, they don't like work. The election is over, and they want to move away? Such pathetic, melodramatic brats who never grew out of the childhood mentality of throwing a fit when things don't go their direction. Hey, guess what, you want to 'run away from home with crocodile tears', to Canada - please consider somewhere else, we are already attempting to mature our country and it's been a tough battle. We certainly don't need any more Leftist bandwagon jumpers. Besides, what happens if our Liberal government gets ousted (yeah we have elections here too), you all going to threaten to move to Holland? Probably the best place for most slacking pot-smoking hippies anyway.
A country needs people who believe in it, and fight for it, either politically or otherwise. Brave soldiers fought the Civil War, and America was born. We fought a worldwide menace, Canadians, Americans, and many others, and Hitler was defeated. But wait - oh no, Michael Moore's candidate has lost a 'democratic' election... run for the hills! So stupid and Ridiculous, it's actually borderline incomprehensible.

Congratulations President Bush (As I would have proclaimed to whoever won - it's let the best man win - you know, it's called a democracy, not a collective solipsistic ego system). But also my condolences in that you have a few million spineless twerps slinking around.
This is great! It was very entertaining and made me smile, and I agree.

I think conservatives would want to stay and fight if they lost. Some liberals do look like big, huge wimps. If you want to lose the next election just continue right along these veins. Conservatives are usually very strong, solid people.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:29 PM   #55
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

I'd take a Liberal government any day over George Bush Jr. (aka. Stephen Harper) and his cronies.

And anyway, I don't think people are really being serious when they say they're going to move to Canada. It's just a knee-jerk reaction to the disappointment felt over this shoddy election. And if people want to come here, I say let them. Of course, it would be great if they stayed in the US to keep up the fight against the Republicans, but I wouldn't look at them in a lesser light because they want to live somewhere where they can have a better quality of life (excluding the whole health care issue, of course ).
Are you suggesting Americans have a worse quality of life?
Old 11-04-2004, 01:35 PM   #56
The Fly

GibsonGirl (I don't know how to use that white background quote thing?) - my point is, you would take a Liberal government and I'd take a Conserative government, and that is our right, is it not? I've met people who are Liberal of course, my best friend is a Michael Moore fanatic. I don't get hostile with him. But the difference is, I've been vehemently accosted, I've been called an idiot for supporting Republicans and Conservatives, I've even been threatened for not backing down on my views at university.
The bottom line is, dealing with Liberals and Democrats and their supporters is that there is no such thing as two, three or many sides of an issue. If you disagree with a Liberal, you are an idiot and much worse - they don't want a country to have a choice, because everyone is wrong except them.
Like I said, I would have congratulated whoever won the election, Kerry or Bush, and I would have wished America the best either way. A liberal can't do that apparently - a Democrat does not hold the capacity to respect a person unless they agree with them.
I am able to live in a country where people are allowed to disagree, and vote for who they feel is the best person for the job - and without the fear of backlash from my own fellow citizens. I would never approach someone who is a known Liberal or Leftist, and unleash personal insults - I will only respond to the hatred which is flooding throughout all the political threads on this site.
Interesting to see all the 'hostile' and 'judgemental' political threads have been initiated by Liberals. I would never 'start' a thread like that regardless of an election outcome. I guess I could never be a Liberal because I am missing the primary character prerequisite of being a complete fucking asshole to other human beings.

No wonder Michael Moore portrayed Iraq as a pretty neat place before the U.S. invasion in his latest film - Saddam held elections the exact method Liberals would want the elections to be conducted in the United States - only one person on the ballot, and it has to be a Leftist. Sounds more like a dictatorship to me - so I hope to God these 'types' are not joking about moving away... far away!

P.S. U2Traveller, you are really a refreshing poster amidst this mess! lol
Old 11-04-2004, 01:50 PM   #57
Acrobat

Quote:
GibsonGirl (I don't know how to use that white background quote thing?) - my point is, you would take a Liberal government and I'd take a Conserative government, and that is our right, is it not? I've met people who are Liberal of course, my best friend is a Michael Moore fanatic. I don't get hostile with him. But the difference is, I've been vehemently accosted, I've been called an idiot for supporting Republicans and Conservatives, I've even been threatened for not backing down on my views at university.
The bottom line is, dealing with Liberals and Democrats and their supporters is that there is no such thing as two, three or many sides of an issue. If you disagree with a Liberal, you are an idiot and much worse - they don't want a country to have a choice, because everyone is wrong except them.
Like I said, I would have congratulated whoever won the election, Kerry or Bush, and I would have wished America the best either way. A liberal can't do that apparently - a Democrat does not hold the capacity to respect a person unless they agree with them.
I am able to live in a country where people are allowed to disagree, and vote for who they feel is the best person for the job - and without the fear of backlash from my own fellow citizens. I would never approach someone who is a known Liberal or Leftist, and unleash personal insults - I will only respond to the hatred which is flooding throughout all the political threads on this site.
Interesting to see all the 'hostile' and 'judgemental' political threads have been initiated by Liberals. I would never 'start' a thread like that regardless of an election outcome. I guess I could never be a Liberal because I am missing the primary character prerequisite of being a complete fucking asshole to other human beings.

No wonder Michael Moore portrayed Iraq as a pretty neat place before the U.S. invasion in his latest film - Saddam held elections the exact method Liberals would want the elections to be conducted in the United States - only one person on the ballot, and it has to be a Leftist. Sounds more like a dictatorship to me - so I hope to God these 'types' are not joking about moving away... far away!

P.S. U2Traveller, you are really a refreshing poster amidst this mess! lol
Thank you! That's quite a compliment. And I agree with you, if Kerry had won I'd have been happy for him, too. I am VERY conservative. So, your theory just may be true. I don't know ANY conservative who would want to run away to Canada if Bush had lost, and who would insult Liberals left and right. Conservatives have confidence and know eventually they will win, and they know they are right, lol.

I think it's something to with solidity and stability.

It is other Democrats who have worried that there will be a "Civil War" in the Democratic party now. There will be, I guess, as soon as they stop attacking Republicans.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:07 PM   #58
The Fly

Indeed, U2traveller, the lack of structure on these spincases will allow them to self-implode, and perhaps we can get some stability going for many years to come.

By the way, U2traveller, GibsonGirl or anyone else, anyone hear that U2 b-side 'Are you gonna wait forever'? I'm dying to know what it sounds like even though it's only a b-side... but I loved the songs 'Summer Rain' and 'Always' as b sides, so it could be great!

-- Nicholas --
Old 11-04-2004, 02:24 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:03 AM
Quote:
Had Stephen Harper won this past election, I would have wholly considered a relocation of residence. You know, somewhere not so close to the tactical nuclear defense program hovering in the sky. In that instance, the decision to emigrate would be quite reasonable.

Fearing the consequences and actions of a leader who essentially has the reign over each branch of the tripartite is another instance. If you have exercised your right to vote and are not satisfied with the result, being complacent and stoic about it doesn't necessarily make you a better citizen. I agree that challenging the institution through some sort of democratic process is probably the most effective and responsible course of action, but leaving is not an act of cowardice... if done for the simple reason of safety and peace of mind. Of course, that's just my opinion.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:28 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

You know, if a person is so unhappy with their country and the atmosphere of the people around them that they are willing to leave all their friends and family behind and move to a whole new country, I don't think it's whining or wimpy. Would you say that of someone that moved out of a bad part of town because they're afraid of their neighbors? If they took their kids to an area with better schools in order to try and give them a better life? They had the choice to stay and fight for change, too.

Usually I just lurk here and don't post, but I feel especially strongly about this.