O Canada, We Want to Move to Thee - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2004, 12:08 PM   #151
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:23 AM
Someone (from the US) earlier said that generally small towns have better quality of lives than cities....and tried to argue that Canada was like a small town in comparison to the "city" of America. The funny thing is, the biggest cities in Canada have been rated as the best places in the world for quality of life. Even private American firms, such as William Mercer out New York, have rated Vancouver, BC, Canada, as the #1, #2, or #3 place to live in the world for something like six years running. Montreal, Calgary, and Toronto aren't too far behind (in the top 20 if I remember)....so if even the big cities are doing this well for quality of life, it's easy to see why the rest of the country ("small towns") is right up there as well.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:11 PM   #152
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
Someone (from the US) earlier said that generally small towns have better quality of lives than cities....and tried to argue that Canada was like a small town in comparison to the "city" of America. The funny thing is, the biggest cities in Canada have been rated as the best places in the world for quality of life. Even private American firms, such as William Mercer out New York, have rated Vancouver, BC, Canada, as the #1, #2, or #3 place to live for something like six years running. Montreal, Calgary, and Toronto aren't too far behind (in the top 20 if I remember)....so if even the big cities are doing this well for quality of life, it's easy to see why the rest of the country ("small towns") is right up there as well.
Yep! So that must mean those people's opinions make it absolute truth.

P.S. That's New York. That's not Salt Lake, etc. And, really, I have a hard time believing that. After all, the best changes yearly, as do opinions, fads...and it's all just someone's opinion.

I have heard quite the opposite about large Canadian cities from Canadians.

Who cares? Would you like to send a few bombs my way?

Old 11-05-2004, 12:11 PM   #153
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Traveller

Sorry. I don't agree..... I observe with my own eyes and senses, thank you.
Have you travelled Canada then?
Old 11-05-2004, 12:14 PM   #154
Acrobat

Quote:

Have you travelled Canada then?
Yes. And I've heard other Canadians' opinions of Canada.

Really, you just cannot compare the two...Canada and the U.S., no matter how hard you try. You cannot. You cannot compare the U.S. with any country. You just cannot compare anything to anything and make sweeping judgments because everything's different and not everything may be seen.

Lol.

Anyway...I'm an egalitarian. Excuse me. It's a habit. I will NEVER get over it.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:16 PM   #155
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

P.S. That's New York. That's not Salt Lake, etc. And, really, I have a hard time believing that. After all, the best changes yearly, as do opinions, fads...and it's all just someone's opinion.

So you're arguing that because the firm that conducted the study is from New York, that somehow detracts from its worth??? You've confused me (not hard to do, but still )

Large Canadian cities are known throughout the world for employing some of the most progressive environmental and social standards, so maybe these friends of yours should check out large cities in other places and then complain.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:17 PM   #156
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:23 PM
Quote:

So everyone's opinion is not truth, then?
Old 11-05-2004, 12:18 PM   #157
Refugee

Quote:

Why do you only seem to listen to the Canadians that aren't happy living where they are, but you brushed off my opinion when I said that I loved Canada.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:20 PM   #158
Acrobat

Quote:

So you're arguing that because the firm that conducted the study is from New York, that somehow detracts from its worth??? You've confused me (not hard to do, but still )

Large Canadian cities are known throughout the world for employing some of the most progressive environmental and social standards, so maybe these friends of yours should check out large cities in other places and then complain.
I think we are doing just fine here in the U.S., as well.

I know Salt Lake it known for being pretty progressive in a lot of areas, too. See, it's really moot, the point, don't you see?

Yes...New York is NOT the whole country, and maybe those freakin' New Yorkers have NEVER BEEN to my neck of the woods. I know some haven't.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:20 PM   #159
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

Yes. And I've heard other Canadians' opinions of Canada.

Really, you just cannot compare the two...Canada and the U.S., no matter how hard you try. You cannot. You cannot compare the U.S. with any country. You just cannot compare anything to anything and make sweeping judgments because everything's different and not everything may be seen.

Lol.

Anyway...I'm an egalitarian. Excuse me. It's a habit. I will NEVER get over it.
You cannot compare the US and Canada? I don't know what you mean by that. Regardless, I didn't compare them...but that's not to say one shouldn't or couldn't compare the two countries. You can do comparisons of any country in the world with any other country. Making broad and sweeping generalizations, however, is another matter altogether.

And why are you making apologies for being an egalitarian? Still, a bit confused here!
Old 11-05-2004, 12:20 PM   #160
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by spinninghead77

Why do you only seem to listen to the Canadians that aren't happy living where they are, but you brushed off my opinion when I said that I loved Canada.
Hey, vice versa.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:21 PM   #161
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Sorry. I don't agree. No study or no one saying it's so makes me go, okay, then it's so. I observe with my own eyes and senses, thank you.

As for the government should "give" things to the people view...well, Americans prefer to tell the government what to do.
If you're going to take the stubborn route and completely dismiss what many intellectuals and officials view as fact, then so be it.

Oh, and government assistance isn't as bad as you make it out to be. It's not like we have our hands out to the government - we pay for it in taxes. And even though taxes are higher here, it's nice to know that in Canada, even the poorest people have equal access to basic human needs. And don't give me that crap about how people shouldn't be poor in the first place, because everyone knows that there's poverty all over the world. I think it's fantastic that a person with an annual income of $1,000 can see the same doctor that a person who earns $300,000 can see.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:22 PM   #162
Acrobat

Quote:

You cannot compare the US and Canada? I don't know what you mean by that. Regardless, I didn't compare them...but that's not to say one shouldn't or couldn't compare the two countries. You can do comparisons of any country in the world with any other country. Making broad and sweeping generalizations, however, is another matter altogether.

And why are you making apologies for being an egalitarian? Still, a bit confused here!
Because it'll always make me believe we are all equal...and fight for it to be seen that way, and for it to BE that way.

Yes, you can compare, but it's like comparing apples and oranges. Try oh try to determine which is better.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:23 PM   #163
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yes, Tommy Douglas was a great man.

My vote still goes to Terry Fox though!
Old 11-05-2004, 12:26 PM   #164
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

If you're going to take the stubborn route and completely dismiss what many intellectuals and officials view as fact, then so be it.

Oh, and government assistance isn't as bad as you make it out to be. It's not like we have our hands out to the government - we pay for it in taxes. And even though taxes are higher here, it's nice to know that in Canada, even the poorest people have equal access to basic human needs. And don't give me that crap about how people shouldn't be poor in the first place, because everyone knows that there's poverty all over the world. I think it's fantastic that a person with an annual income of $1,000 can see the same doctor that a person who earns $300,000 can see.
I think the problem is that people shouldn't freakin' HAVE an annual income of $1,000. And yes, healthcare prices should go down, and if we have anything to do about it, it will.

As a small business owner I plan on paying my employees well.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:26 PM   #165
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Yes, Tommy Douglas was a great man.

My vote still goes to Terry Fox though!
Same! Medicare is great, but nothing can compare to the inspiration of Terry Fox.