O Canada, We Want to Move to Thee - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2004, 09:50 AM   #136
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:25 PM
Yes, this thread is going nowhere fast and I'm sick of it.

Bottom-line, you just need to change your perspective, I think. But, will people? Most likely not. And most Americans don't let others control them.

I hope for good things for America. We will have a hard time. We have trouble coming. Everyone does. I fear slightly for America, but that's a good thing to be wary, and it shows I love it. I fear because well, I know that the future won't be good for any country, let alone America. But, I also believe in the American people, and I believe in God, and I know what I know, and I think there's still a lot of good this country can, should, and will do.

I abhor people who eagerly look forward to our demise, and I'll tell you this, it won't happen. Not with people like Americans living in America. We never give up. If some do, oh well.

I think the biggest problem for America, the biggest threat, has been and always will be its citizens, whether or not we can continue to work together and stay together.

Yes, the constitution may hang by a thread by the end, but that doesn't mean it will fall.

Unlike many people I am not afraid for the future. I look forward to it, and the challenges it will bring, the heartache, the opportunity to grow and become stronger. I look forward to God's working going forward. I look forward to thing going forward according to God's design and in seeing how things are all working out and how God truly IS in control.

I look forward to the future with anticipation and excitement, just like I did these elections. Someone with the faith I have only sees the future as something I already knew and was promised, and something to no fear because it's the way it's supposed to be, and God is in charge.

America is the place to be in the end in a lot of ways. America is truly the light and the vehicle. America is the HOME, the base for God's work.

Old 11-05-2004, 09:52 AM   #137
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi

yes canada and the us study each other. im surprised you dont know that. you get more goods from us than any other nation and we get more goods from you than any other nation. i work in ottawa (the capital, but you probably knew that) and i am going to be in the U.S. embassy for 3 days next week. i am being welcomed-why? because we are bringing about $3m US with us to spend in the states on research.

i think i am done with this thread. U2Traveller, if you have any more wisdom for me, send a PM. or just throw a sheet of paper across the border, theres so few of us here it will find me. the government will deliver it for me as they do everything else
I do know that. I just wanted to make sure that was what you were saying. Yes, we are the closest trading partners. I use to not have a problem with that.

P.S. I almost made it to Canada this summer. We were so close yet so far away. We were in Glacier National Park, and we didn't have the documents to get across. So sad that that has to be the case now. We were thinking about going to Waterton, that's why.

Old 11-05-2004, 09:55 AM   #138
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by spinninghead77

You are right.

Maybe I just prefer the way that we do it here. The government allows everyone to have the freedom to choose. If you don't like gay marriage then don't be involved in a gay marriage. If you don't support abortion then don't have an abortion.

I like it the way Canada does it. You like it the way the US does it. I guess that is why we both choose to live in, and believe in our countries.
Our government allows us to have the freedom to choose, too. People chose to vote the way they did. If you blame anyone blame the people who voted for it. They certainly had the freedom to do so. THEY make the government, they make the choices. So, don't blame the government. You're not going far enough. No one forced me to vote for Kerry, either. I admit, I tried to pressure my family to also vote for Kerry, but people are stubborn.

As for these amendments, I am highly uncomfortable with them and frankly disappointed with people in Utah for passing it. They didn't have to. The government didn't make them. How can you blame the government that it passed? It was the people, even, who got it on the ballot in the first place.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:01 AM   #139
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Traveller
Yes, this thread is going nowhere fast and I'm sick of it.

Bottom-line, you just need to change your perspective.
no, not arrogant at all.

you're arguing against no one, u2traveller. no one in this thread has said anything negative about the US, although it seems you wish someone would. i have no problems with your enthusiasm for your country, but i think that patriotism should be about why you love your country, and not why your country is better than anyone else's.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:03 AM   #140
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by dandy

no, not arrogant at all.

you're arguing against no one, u2traveller. no one in this thread has said anything negative about the US, although it seems you wish someone would. i have no problems with your enthusiasm for your country, but i think that patriotism should be about why you love your country, and not why your country is better than anyone else's.
I don't necessarily think the U.S. is better than anywhere else. After all, that God-like study says it ain't so.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:20 AM   #141
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:25 AM
Quote:

Someone even SAID that Canadians get better service in foreign countries than U.S. citizens do, lol.
I don't think it's right at all, but it's certainly true.

Quote:
Originally posted by spinninghead77I like it the way Canada does it. You like it the way the US does it. I guess that is why we both choose to live in, and believe in our countries.
Every countries has its positives and its negatives.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:29 AM   #142
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie

Every countries has its positives and its negatives.
If it's true I can only hope that Americans will wise up, realize they're being discriminated against, and well, reduce their tourist industry. I know I certainly would. BUT, I'm inclined to doubt it's true. Maybe for some, but not for all. You are putting all non-Americans in the same category, too, then.

I tend to believe that some non-Americans DON'T act like that, and I think Americans can tell the difference. I've just never been in Europe. If someone was rude to me, believe me, I'd leave, and I wouldn't tip, lol. And I'd never come back, and I'd tell everybody else not to, too, so you know, it might hurt their business a little.

If they want to be arrogant and bigoted then they can suffer the consequences because unlike other oppressed people, Americans aren't weak and without resources.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:35 AM   #143
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:25 AM
Quote:

I tend to believe that some non-Americans DON'T act like that, and I think Americans can tell the difference. I've just never been in Europe. If someone was rude to me, believe me, I'd leave, and I wouldn't tip, lol. And I'd never come back, and I'd tell everybody else not to, too, so you know, it might hurt their business a little.

Of course ALL non-Americans aren' t like that. I think it's narrow-minded and misguided, but the fact is that Americans aren't very well-regarded abroad.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:38 AM   #144
Acrobat

Quote:

Of course ALL non-Americans aren' t like that. I think it's narrow-minded and misguided, but the fact is that Americans aren't very well-regarded abroad.
I don't know that that's a fact at all. Maybe by some, but not by all.

If they are, by whoever they are, do you think that this will in any way benefit them? No, in the end they'll just be bitter and disappointed, and targets to terrorists just like everybody else.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:49 AM   #145
Refugee

Local Time: 11:25 PM
Quote:

Our government allows us to have the freedom to choose, too. People chose to vote the way they did. If you blame anyone blame the people who voted for it. They certainly had the freedom to do so. THEY make the government, they make the choices. So, don't blame the government. You're not going far enough. No one forced me to vote for Kerry, either. I admit, I tried to pressure my family to also vote for Kerry, but people are stubborn.

As for these amendments, I am highly uncomfortable with them and frankly disappointed with people in Utah for passing it. They didn't have to. The government didn't make them. How can you blame the government that it passed? It was the people, even, who got it on the ballot in the first place.
Listen. I wasn't putting down the US or blaming anyone. My earlier message actually said "You're right". I just think that I prefer the government doing away with things like bans on gay marriage then letting the people vote. When people vote on something like that then 51% of people get to decide how 100% of people will act, and I don't like that. Here, the government saw that people wanted gay marriage and gave it to them. Not everyone wanted it, but it only affects the people that do want it.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:59 AM   #146
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Wow. That MUST mean it's true. *sarcasm* Nope, I just don't think they're looking at all the facts. I know they're not.
I wasn't even going to respond to this... I was just going to walk away and try not to give it another thought.

But then I thought, WHAT THE HELL? This is the United Nations Human Development report we're talking about! The UN does not just slap together a report without "looking at all the facts"! Don't be absurd! A lot of economics and statistics goes into analyzing this sort of thing. I think you need to seriously review what quality of life is officially defined as, because I honestly don't think you know what it means.

Standard of living is NOT limited to one place, such as Utah. It is based upon the country AS A WHOLE. So while things may be peachy clean where you live, things might be worse off in other places. Just like in Canada, Newfoundland is economically worse off in comparison to a province like Ontario. Yet, AS A WHOLE, the standard of living in Canada is better than the standard of living in the United States, AS A WHOLE.

Oh, and trust me, this isn't just "one study." Canada's quality of life was rated number one for seven consecutive years just a few years ago. It has slipped a little since then, but it has still been hovering around the four-five range, and has still been consistently higher than the US.

So please, don't utterly dismiss these studies and quotes we keep on giving you, because they aren't a complete load of nonsense. And no one's trying to tell you that the quality of life in America is bad. We're just saying that it's a little better in Canada.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:00 PM   #147
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I agree. Canadians are nice people
Old 11-05-2004, 12:02 PM   #148
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Souly

I agree. Canadians are nice people
When we don't get worked up.

FYM brings out the worst in me.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:03 PM   #149
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

I wasn't even going to respond to this... I was just going to walk away and try not to give it another thought.

But then I thought, WHAT THE HELL? This is the United Nations Human Development report we're talking about! The UN does not just slap together a report without "looking at all the facts"! Don't be absurd! A lot of economics and statistics goes into analyzing this sort of thing. I think you need to seriously review what quality of life is officially defined as, because I honestly don't think you know what it means.

Standard of living is NOT limited to one place, such as Utah. It is based upon the country AS A WHOLE. So while things may be peachy clean where you live, things might be worse off in other places. Just like in Canada, Newfoundland is economically worse off in comparison to a province like Ontario. Yet, AS A WHOLE, the standard of living in Canada is better than the standard of living in the United States, AS A WHOLE.

Oh, and trust me, this isn't just "one study." Canada's quality of life was rated number one for seven consecutive years just a few years ago. It has slipped a little since then, but it has still been hovering around the four-five range, and has still been consistently higher than the US.

So please, don't utterly dismiss these studies and quotes we keep on giving you, because they aren't a complete load of nonsense. And no one's trying to tell you that the quality of life in America is bad. We're just saying that it's a little better in Canada.
Sorry. I don't agree. No study or no one saying it's so makes me go, okay, then it's so. I observe with my own eyes and senses, thank you.

As for the government should "give" things to the people view...well, Americans prefer to tell the government what to do.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:05 PM   #150
Acrobat

Americans are also nice people.