NYT: Al Qaeda Restoring Leadership - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:08 AM
Normal NYT: Al Qaeda Restoring Leadership

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/02/wo...gewanted=print

April 2, 2007
Qaeda Is Seen as Restoring Leadership
By MARK MAZZETTI
WASHINGTON, April 1 — As Al Qaeda rebuilds in Pakistan’s tribal areas, a new generation of leaders has emerged under Osama bin Laden to cement control over the network’s operations, according to American intelligence and counterterrorism officials.

The new leaders rose from within the organization after the death or capture of the operatives that built Al Qaeda before the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, leading to surprise and dismay within United States intelligence agencies about the group’s ability to rebound from an American-led offensive.

It has been known that American officials were focusing on a band of Al Qaeda training camps in Pakistan’s remote mountains, but a clearer picture is emerging about those who are running the camps and thought to be involved in plotting attacks.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
War Child

I'm not surprised, considering that the environment in which this terrorism is fostered has not changed substantially.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:08 PM
And as long as our money is flowing to the magic kingdom it won't stop.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:08 AM
This doesn't surprise me.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:04 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:08 AM
please, All eyes on Iraq (only)

do you want Saddamist to control 90% of the world's energy supply
Old 04-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
New Yorker

Sorry 'bout that Deep. Won't let it happen again.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:08 AM
Heckuva job.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:33 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
please, All eyes on Iraq (only)

do you want Saddamist to control 90% of the world's energy supply
Well, when thinking of Al Quada, your eyes should be on Iraq considering that is where the vast majority of Al Quada attacks are currently launched. The majority of their activity is in Al Anbar Province Iraq, a province that DEMOCRATS would like to withdraw from within a year.

Meanwhile in Afghanistan, there was virtually no Non-Taliban Al Quada attacks through out all of 2006.

Al Quada is an Arab based organization, and while people talk of plans, leaders and training in Pakistan, in Iraq all of that is happening as well as actual bombings and attacks.

If one is serious about fighting Al Quada, their focus should be in Iraq and building a stable country and government there. Al Quada considers Iraq to be the central front in their war against the West and has put the vast majority of its resourses, people, money in to fighting the coaliton and the newly elected Iraqi government, over the past 3 to 4 years.

Its amazing that Democrats want to pull out of the country where Al Quada is most active, Iraq, but want to either keep the same troop levels or add more troops in a country where actual Al Quada attacks are almost non-existent at this point.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #9
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:08 AM
You've got to be kidding.

The only reason Al Qaeda is in Iraq is because the US took a liking to the idea of regime change and occupation there. Period. The invasion and subsequent occupation of Iraq has created a breeding ground for Al Qaeda and other militant Islamic terrorists. And yet you seem to think Bush is doing a decent job of it.

Had we not diverted most of our resources into the occupation of Iraq, maybe, just maybe we might have been able to keep our attention on Al Qaeda enough so that they could not start to regroup and expand while we were busy "nation building" in Iraq.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:14 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
You've got to be kidding.

The only reason Al Qaeda is in Iraq is because the US took a liking to the idea of regime change and occupation there. Period. The invasion and subsequent occupation of Iraq has created a breeding ground for Al Qaeda and other militant Islamic terrorists. And yet you seem to think Bush is doing a decent job of it.

Had we not diverted most of our resources into the occupation of Iraq, maybe, just maybe we might have been able to keep our attention on Al Qaeda enough so that they could not start to regroup and expand while we were busy "nation building" in Iraq.
Saddam Hussian had to be removed and a new government had to be put in place. The number of troops in Afghanistan actually increased as the invasion of Iraq started. The whole "diversion" of resources is complete rubbish. The primary units perfoming missions in Iraq, Armored and Mechanized brigades with heavy tanks and armored personal carriers, would never be deployed to Afghanistan anyway.

In any event, the issue is what to do now and its ironic that DEMOCRATS support the withdrawal of troops from the area of greatest Al Quada activity and want to either keep troops in Afghanistan or increase them there despite the absence of non-Taliban Al Quada attacks there. If Democrats can make the case for withdrawal from Iraq, they should be even more upfront about withdrawing from Afghanistan.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:08 AM
Oh, there was some resources unused, so they had to be deployed somewhere.
So, if the US had the capacity for a third country Amadinejad would be no more?
Because, when there are units you don't need in the one country, you can easily use it for another country.

Great.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:08 AM
Which came first the chicken or the egg.....

Why is Al Qaeda MOST active in Iraq????

Because Saddam had to be removed.......

Or because this administration CHERRY PICKED INTEL and SENTENCES from reports to mislead the congress and the American people?

Nah...He had to be removed. Clearly there was a threat.....

Hey, when is this administration going to have the fucking courage to take care of the soldiers coming home, with their arms and limbs blown from their body. It takes GREAT BALLS to send them into harms way with CHERRY PICKED INTEL....but I guess it only takes BALLS to put them into harms way, FUCK taking care of them. FUCK the fact that they are continuously being put in harms way for WHAT? Oh yeah...CHERRY PICKED INTEL.

I am so sick to fucking death of the taste of PUKE i get in my mouth EVERY TIME I see Cheney and Bush and Rumsfeld.....

I am tired of people continuously defending these mother fuckers.....

And I am speaking from the heart, as a soldier as a MAN who wore the uniform of this country proudly after Desert Shield.....

BRING THE BOYS back home.

And SHAME the FUCK on me for buying the SHIT that this administration sold us.

No MORE......

If Osama was a priority .....he would be DEAD!!!!!!

He wasn't.....and here we are .....HOLDING A BAG OF SHIT.....

FUCK MCCAIN too....Straight TALK MY ASS.....

He walks around with 100 SOLDIERS and three BLACKHAWKS claiming Bagdhad is safe.......How many Iraqi's died while he said that. How many American Soldiers DIED........

How many is too many????? When is enough DEAD peope enouhg to say this is not working?
Old 04-02-2007, 08:50 PM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:08 AM
Dreadsox
Old 04-02-2007, 09:04 PM   #14
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Dreadsox
Old 04-02-2007, 09:18 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:38 AM
I think Dreadsox just expressed the frustration of millions of U.S citizens in that dynamic post.