nuke iraq till they bleed american

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flag Pole Pear

Bordering Purgatory
looks like using nukes on iraq is a good possibility! thats super, george! at least your not terrorizing.

george bush is probably my favorite politician of all time. heres the article, but remember to blame the rest of the world and not the us when world war 3 breaks!

super!

-----

Published on Sunday, January 26, 2003 by the Los Angeles Times
The Nuclear Option in Iraq

The U.S. has lowered the bar for using the ultimate weapon

by William M. Arkin

WASHINGTON -- One year after President Bush labeled Iraq, Iran and North Korea the "axis of evil," the United States is thinking about the unthinkable: It is preparing for the possible use of nuclear weapons against Iraq.

At the U.S. Strategic Command (STRATCOM) in Omaha and inside planning cells of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, target lists are being scrutinized, options are being pondered and procedures are being tested to give nuclear armaments a role in the new U.S. doctrine of "preemption."

According to multiple sources close to the process, the current planning focuses on two possible roles for nuclear weapons:

attacking Iraqi facilities located so deep underground that they might be impervious to conventional explosives;

thwarting Iraq's use of weapons of mass destruction.

Nuclear weapons have, since they were first created, been part of the arsenal discussed by war planners. But the Bush administration's decision to actively plan for possible preemptive use of such weapons, especially as so-called bunker busters, against Iraq represents a significant lowering of the nuclear threshold. It rewrites the ground rules of nuclear combat in the name of fighting terrorism.

It also moves nuclear weapons out of their long-established special category and lumps them in with all the other military options -- from psychological warfare, covert operations and Special Forces to air power in all its other forms.

For the United States to lower the nuclear threshold and break down the firewall separating nuclear weapons from everything else is unsettling for at least three reasons.

First, if the United States lowers the nuclear threshold -- even as a possibility -- it raises the likelihood that other nations will lower their own thresholds and employ nuclear weapons in situations where they simply need a stronger military punch. Until now, the United States has reserved nuclear weapons for retaliation against nuclear attacks or immediate threats to national survival, a standard tacitly but widely accepted around the world. If the president believes that Iraqi President Saddam Hussein poses that kind of danger to the United States, he has failed to convince the world -- and many U.S. citizens.

Second, the move toward thinking of nuclear weapons as just one more option among many comes at a time when technology is offering a host of better choices. Increasingly, the U.S. military has the capability of disabling underground bases or destroying biological and chemical weapons without uncorking the nuclear bottle, through a combination of sophisticated airpower, special operations and such 21st century capabilities as high-powered microwave weapons and cyber warfare.

Third, there are dangers in concentrating the revision of nuclear policy within a single military command, STRATCOM, which until now has been focused strictly on strategic -- not policy -- issues of nuclear combat. Command staff members have unrivaled expertise in the usage and effects of nuclear weapons, but their expertise does not extend to the whys of weapons usage.

Entrusting major policy reviews to tightly controlled, secret organizations inside the Pentagon is a hallmark of Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld's tenure. Doing so streamlines decision-making and encourages new thinking, advocates say.

But it also bypasses dissenters, many of whom are those in the armed services with the most knowledge and the deepest experience with the issues. The Bush inner circle is known to be a tight bunch, prone to "group think" about Iraq and uninterested in having its assumptions challenged. But there are opinions they need to hear. While most military officers seem to consider the likelihood of our using nuclear weapons in Iraq to be low, they worry about the increased importance placed on them and about the contradictions inherent in contemplating the use of nuclear weapons for the purpose of eliminating weapons of mass destruction.

The administration's interest in nuclear contingency plans stems from its deeply held conviction that the United States must act against Iraq because of a new and more dangerous terrorist threat involving weapons of mass destruction.

"The gravest danger our nation faces lies at the crossroads of radicalism and technology," Bush declared in the introduction to his national security strategy, issued last fall. It said enemies of the United States "have openly declared that they are seeking weapons of mass destruction."

In May, Bush signed National Security Presidential Directive 17, officially confirming the doctrine of preemptively thwarting any potential use of weapons of mass destruction.

"U.S. military and appropriate civilian agencies must possess the full range of operational capabilities to counter the threat and use of WMD," the president reiterated last December in his National Strategy to Combat Weapons of Mass Destruction.

The current nuclear planning, revealed in interviews with military officers and described in documents reviewed by the Los Angeles Times, is being carried out at STRATCOM's Omaha headquarters, among small teams in Washington and at Vice President Dick Cheney's "undisclosed location" in Pennsylvania.

The command, previously responsible for nuclear weapons alone, has seen its responsibilities mushroom. On Dec. 11, the Defense secretary sent Bush a memorandum asking for authority to place Adm. James O. Ellis Jr., the STRATCOM commander, in charge of the full range of "strategic" warfare options to combat terrorist states and organizations.

The memo, obtained by The Times, recommended assigning all responsibilities for dealing with foreign weapons of mass destruction, including "global strike; integrated missile defense; [and] information operations" to STRATCOM. That innocuous-seeming description of responsibilities covers enormous ground, bringing everything from the use of nuclear weapons to nonnuclear strikes to covert and special operations to cyber warfare and "strategic deception" under the purview of nuclear warriors.

Earlier this month, Bush approved Rumsfeld's proposal. On the surface, these new assignments give the command a broader set of tools to avoid nuclear escalation. In reality, they open the door much wider to contemplating American use of nuclear weapons. The use of biological or chemical weapons against the U.S. military could be seen as worthy of the same response as a Russian nuclear attack. If Iraq were to use biological or chemical weapons during a war with the United States, it could have tragic consequences, but it would not alter the war's outcome. Our use of nuclear weapons to defeat Hussein, on the other hand, has the potential to create a political and global disaster, one that would forever pit the Arab and Islamic world against us.

How great a change these steps represent are revealed in the fact that STRATCOM owes its existence to previous post-Cold War policymakers who considered it vital to erect a great firewall between nuclear and conventional forces.

Now, with almost no discussion inside the Pentagon or in public, Rumsfeld and the Bush White House are tearing that firewall down. Instead of separating nuclear and conventional weapons, Rumsfeld is merging them in one command structure with a disturbingly simple mission: "If you can find that time-critical, key terrorist target or that weapons-of-mass-destruction stockpile, and you have minutes rather than hours or days to deal with it, how do you reach out and negate that threat to our nation half a world away?" Ellis asked in December.

The rapid transformation of Ellis' command reveals his answer to that rhetorical question. Since 9/11, Ellis and his command have been bombarded with new demands and responsibilities. First, the Pentagon's nuclear posture review, signed by Rumsfeld in December 2001 and issued in final form in early 2002, directed the military to reinvigorate its nuclear capability. STRATCOM was to play a leading role in that reinvigoration.

Among other things, the still-classified posture review said, "nuclear weapons could be employed against targets able to withstand nonnuclear attack (for example, deep underground bunkers or bioweapon facilities)."

The review called upon the military to develop "deliberate pre-planned and practiced missions" to attack WMD facilities, even if an enemy did not use nuclear weapons first against the United States or its allies.

According to STRATCOM documents and briefings, its newly created Theater Planning Activity has now taken on all aspects of assessing chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons facilities worldwide. Planners have focused intelligence gathering and analysis on seven priority target nations (the "axis of evil" nations along with Syria, Libya, China and Russia) and have completed a detailed analysis of intelligence data available on all suspect sites. According to U.S. Central Command sources, a "Theater Nuclear Planning Document" for Iraq has been prepared for the administration and Central Command.

What worries many senior officials in the armed forces is not that the United States has a vast array of weapons or contingency plans for using them. The danger is that nuclear weapons -- locked away in a Pandora's box for more than half a century -- are being taken out of that lockbox and put on the shelf with everything else. While Pentagon leaders insist that does not mean they take nuclear weapons lightly, critics fear that removing the firewall and adding nuclear weapons to the normal option ladder makes their use more likely -- especially under a policy of preemption that says Washington alone will decide when to strike.

To make such a doctrine encompass nuclear weapons is to embrace a view that, sooner or later, will spread beyond the moral capitals of Washington and London to New Delhi and Islamabad, to Pyongyang and Baghdad, Beijing, Tel Aviv and to every nuclear nation of the future.

If that happens, the world will have become infinitely more dangerous than it was two years ago, when George W. Bush took the presidential oath of office.

William M. Arkin is a military affairs analyst who writes regularly for Opinion.

Copyright 2003 Los Angeles Times

----

*edited the first part of the post because in hind-sight it was stupid and unnecessary.

Last edited:
Is this really new? Military planners always include a contingency for use of nuclear weapons - going back to the Korean War.

Editorials like this have appeared before.....

How come they?d consider to use that option now and not after Sept. 11th, STING2?

I think its just a barking dog... couldn?t believe it.

They don?t, nbcrusader. Come on, don?t downplay this shit. If the threshold really goes down, its a change of policy.

Well having a family and growing old were overrated anyways. Just when you thought this regime couldn't get any worse. I'm just so numbed by everything done up to this point I just can't get angry anymore. Hope everyone has enjoyed thier lives because once the genie is out of the bottle nothing is going to be the same. This is yet another peak of US governmental arrogance. With no one else in the world who can sompete they now feel like they can do anything and no one can say nay. Rumsfeld may the first bomb go off just far enough from you so that your organs take a few weeks to melt. Well I guess I can still get angry.

Strange thing is, if this is true, it makes me rethink the terror that has happened.

Why now, and not then, when Uncle Sam had his pants down for real? What is this? Careful strategical planning?

I always figured the Nixon/Ford/Reagan/Bush I relics would destroy the world before they died...

Melon

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
They don?t, nbcrusader. Come on, don?t downplay this shit. If the threshold really goes down, its a change of policy.

You may not remember, but there were some who were absolutely convinced that Reagan would use nuclear weapons.

The talk of nukes is more likely a way to send a message to Iraq than part of the US's actual deployment.

nbcrusader said:
The talk of nukes is more likely a way to send a message to Iraq than part of the US's actual deployment.

This is certainly a plausible explanation, and let's just hope it is true. We really don't have any choice in the matter regardless. :|

Melon

Looking at the history of this administration I have to say that there is good reason not to think this is sabre rattling. Plus this is a case of small steps. Using small tactical nukes not city destroyers. They'd never go that far (I'd hope). These are small precision (as far as you can take that term, with a nuke or the US's history with actually hitting their targets) nukes designed to break through hardened targets. They have every reason to want to use these weapons ince they would be healpful in any war where you have burried bunkers. That is why thios is so distressing. If they were threatenign using ICBMs I 'd write it off. But this is something easy to use and in the politicians minds no biggie. And once it is shown that nukes are no biggie we'll gradually see bigger and bigger nukes in general use. Not to mention how pissed the Arab world is goingto be when a nuke of any size gets used on Arabs.

"IF" Iraq shows any indication that they will be using Chemical or Biological weapons.......

I am almost willing to bet my "star wars" comic book collection, that we will use nukes.

I am also willing to wager the same thing, that Saddam will use them this time.

I draw the line at nukes.

I seriously think they're just trying to scare saddam.

if they used them I'd be seriously pissed.
if they do, I just want everyone to know how I've enjoyed our time together! see ya on the other side.

Flag Pole Pear said:
Until now, the United States has reserved nuclear weapons for retaliation against nuclear attacks or immediate threats to national survival, a standard tacitly but widely accepted around the world.

Yes, those should be always the only reasons to use nuclear weapons.

But hey, with this government, I wouldn't be surprised if they are indeed considering this. And if this gets approved, international opinion of US will get worse, other countries will lower this standard and once this happens, it won't take long till some terrorist gets a hold of nukes.

From what I understand, Iraq has/or not (not proven yet) biological and chemical weapons. They don't have nuclear weapons. But, yes, if they do and if Saddam feels pressed against the wall with no option, he might use whatever he has.

then u2girl, it makes perfect sense to start a war with him.

remember, under flanigan mcvargas rules passed by the united nations in 1991, the united states was given the divine right to decide who may possess what.

It never seizes to amaze me how some people are always trying to justify Bush's actions or words by saying "Oh he doesn't mean it, he's just saying that to scare ... [fill in the blanks]". I don't think we can afford to be that naive.

DrTeeth said:
It never seizes to amaze me how some people are always trying to justify Bush's actions or words by saying "Oh he doesn't mean it, he's just saying that to scare ... [fill in the blanks]". I don't think we can afford to be that naive.

The "Bush is a warmonger" talk is a rerun of the Reagan years. Is history repreating itself??

Of course it is. Why else do we have another Bush in office, a recession-in-denial, another impending Gulf War, manic military spending, coupled with equally manic tax cuts, and an alternate terrorist-edition of the Cold War?

We're repeating the 1980s and early 1990s all over again.

Melon

Bush should only threaten with the bomb, if he's willing to drop it, everything else is dangerous.
And if Bush is serious with this every dictator in the world will feel the strong need to own a a-bomb, because it seems to be the best thing if you have a different opinion and want to negotiate with the USA.

Klaus

Calm down people. Since 1945, since the Truman administration, the USA has reserved the right to use Nuclear Weapons any time, any where, at any point of are choosing. We have not said that we in fact definitely would, just that we reserve that option. Its called Strategic Ambiguity. It is often the best way to deter and enemy from engaging in some type of behavior.

The USA back in the 1950s, developed Nuclear shells for field Artillery to be used on the battlefield. There were plans to use Nuclear Weapons in nearly every way imaginable. These capabilities and plans have existed in one way or the other for decades. My father who was in Air Defense/Artillery Branch of the Army, often worked with Nike Hurculeas Missiles that were planeed to be used to destroy multiple enemy aircraft carrying nuclear weapons. To do that the Missile had a large Nuclear Warhead. Of course this was back in the 1960s and a little bit into the 1970s.

My point is that this Nuclear Firwall, that Arkin has talked about has never really existed. The Bush Administration does not have plans that do any thing relevantly different than what any past administration has done. In fact, in the late 1940s and 1950s, US policy in response to a potential Soviet Warsaw Pact on Western Europe was massive retaliation. The second the USA saw certain Soviet divisions mobilizing for attack, or their bomber crews getting ready on a mass scale to fly to the or into Europe, any sign of large mobilization for war in Europe, the USA would launch a devastating first strike with nuclear weapons. This was back in the days before ICBMs. An intercontinental flight by a small number of Russian Bombers was long and easy to intercept before they got to the USA. Still, it was viewed that a first strike, would be necessary to prevent Soviet nuclear strikes in Europe and or conventional military forces from penetrating deep into NATO territory.

The point is we were far closer to using Nuclear Weapons in the late 1940s and 1950s, because during those years that was in fact the #1 plan for defeating a Soviet Warsaw Pact Attack. If the Soviet attack could be detected before it actually started, pre_emtion was indeed authorized.

Things changed in the 1960s when the Soviets Achieved Strategic Parity with the USA. The ICBM was the main reason for this. It was determined that despite any devastating first strike the USA could launch against the Soviet Union, enough of the Soviet ICBM force would survive to do unacceptable destruction to the USA. This is refered to as a "second-strike capability". The Soviets "second-strike capability" rendered the policy of "massive retaliation" useless. We were now in the world of Strategic Parity or MADD, Mutually Assured Destruction, if Nuclear Weapons were used. But Strategic Parity or MADD with Nuclear Weapons also presented the possibility that conventional war was more likely now because each side would be detered from using Nuclear Weapons, because of the evential outcome. A Similar type of situation existed in World War II in regards to the use of chemical and Biological weapons that boths sides had.

In response to Strategic Parity, the USA developed the Strategy of Flexible response basically saying that they would attempt to deter and fight conventional conflict with the Soviets with conventional weapons and Nuclear conflict with Nuclear Weapons, but would preserve the option of using Nuclear Weapons from the very start of any conventional conflict. "Flexible Response" was essentially "Strategic Ambiguity". The USA developed stronger conventional forces to fight a purely conventional war with the Soviets in Europe, but despite this preserved the option of using Nuclear Weapons from the very start of any conflict just as it had intended to do in the 1950s.

To sum up, the option has always been there and still is. The Bush administration has simply re-phrased old strategy. It is nothing new. The only thing that is new is the vast number of new conventional weapons systems that are available to achieve the same results desired from Nuclear Weapons. There are conventional weapons designed to burn up chemical and biological weapons, EMP weapons designed to fry electrical systems, and deep penatration bombs to destroyed burried bunkers. If a Burried Bunker could withstand one of these Penetration Bombs, its most likely it could withstand a nuclear weapon as well. Believe it or not it is possible. USA ICBM Silos are hardened to the point that they can withstand a nuclear blast that detonates anywhere outside a 400 foot ring from the Silo. To destroy one of these Silo's you have to get within 400 feet of it with a nuclear weapon, if not, the Silo survives.

Chemical and Biological weapons will not effect US combat troops do to their protective features from such attack. Such weapons though are a threat to unprotected unsuspecting civilians through out the region. There is not going to be a Nuclear response or use of Nuclear weapons against Iraq because there is no need. But the USA as it always has, reserves the right to use Nuclear Weapons in any senerio. While this may not deter Saddam, it is possible that it could deter his troops from using WMD and possibly deter some of them from resisting or fighting at all. History has shown that there is no harm in reserving the option(but not actually using) to use Nuclear Weapons, and it may have a benefit in that it deters the other side from using certain things or engaging in certain actions.

Great lets start nukin.... With blind faith in a stupid man, i can bet you that we won't dig ourselves and other innocent civilians 6feet underground....

By the way, Bush said God was on our side.... So would that make Bush the next Prophet... Did he reallly talk to God... :S

Dr. Teeth,

Did you read my whole post, I clearly stated that it has been US policy one way or the other to reserve the right to use nuclear weapons any time, any where, at any point it deemed necessary. This has for the most part been US policy since 1945. Sorry for the Bushwackers, but there is nothing new in Bush's "Nuclear" policy.

The point I hoped you would pick up is, while most people will agree that the use of nukes in retaliation of a nuclear strike is indeed 'necessary', using nukes in a 'conventional' war is not. Especially when you're the one who started it in the first place.

DrTeeth said:
The point I hoped you would pick up is, while most people will agree that the use of nukes in retaliation of a nuclear strike is indeed 'necessary', using nukes in a 'conventional' war is not. Especially when you're the one who started it in the first place.

This will not be a conventional war. Saddam was prepared to use WMD if the Coalition had moved on Bagdhad in 1991. They did not and the WMD remained where they are.

Saddam is not going to use them unless he is clearly going to fall. He will use them on our ground forces and he will launch them on Israel. He has always worried about his place in history. One sure way to make sure he is a hero to the Arab world is to attack Israel.

Once he uses them, or the United States thinks he is about to use them, the gloves are off. This will no longer be a conventional war.

I am not upset at the prospect of a Pre-Emtive strike if there is even an inkling that he is about to launch his own WMD on our troops or Israel. I would be more upset if they waited to find out.
Our soldiers, if they are sent into war, deserve to know that the Commander in Chief will use all means necessary to save lives.

Am I happy about the circumstances? No. But it is the reality of the situation.

Back
Top Bottom