Nuclear Proliferation in the Mideast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elfyx

War Child
I hate nuclear weapons....

[source:Los Angeles Times, Oct. 12]

Two unnamed Bush Administration officials have disclosed,
and an Israeli official confirmed, to the Los Angeles Times
that Israel has modified U.S.-supplied cruise missiles
and installed them on the three German-built submarines in its navy.

Not only does the new capability strengthen Israel militarily
(or, as the Times puts it "bolsters Israel's deterrence")
but it also complicates efforts to persuade Iran
to abandon its suspected nuclear program.

Unlike Iran, however, Israel is not a signatory
of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

"The presence of a nuclear program in the region
that is not under international safeguards
gives other countries the spur to develop weapons of mass destruction,"
said Nabil Fahmy, Egypt's ambassador to the U.S.

"Any future conflict becomes more dangerous."

One of the officials who spoke to the Times admitted
that this is a factor in the dispute over Iran's program.

"A big source of contention is Israel," he said.
"This is a magnet for other countries
to develop nuclear weapons."

Joseph Cirincione,
the director of the non-proliferation program at the Canregie
Endowment for International Peace told the Times,

"You are never going to be able
to address the Iranian nuclear ambitions
or the issues of Egypt's chemical weapons
and possible biological weapons program
without bringing Israel's nuclear program into the mix."

Israeli officials interviewed by the Times did not provide
any details beyond confirming the new nuclear capability,
but U.S. officials believe
the Israelis modified Harpoon missiles to carry the warheads.

The Harpoon normally carries a 488 lb high-explosive warhead,
so the Israelis would have had to reduce the size of the nuclear device to make it fit,
a task well within their engineering capabilities.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-iznukes12oct12.story

Hmmm, just when you thought current issues were trying to be settled an put forth on the table, another problem seems to complicate things by a 100...

Has anyone heard if US, Britain, Israel, and a list of other first world states have been considered part of the axis of evil yet???

No, but I am betting Packistan is close to making the next list....if they ship weapons to Saudi Arabia.

I don't think they'll put Pakistan on the list. They are technically a U.S. ally, and so is Saudi Arabia. Whether or not either one of these countries *should* be a U.S. ally is certainly a point open to debate.

Last edited:
CORRECTION in spelling : PAKISTAN

Pakistan is not a first world state.... But, I am equally worried with what they have and their capabilities...

Not that being a third world makes it any better (it is actually extr. shameful and a lil more nerve racking), but for first worlds to pass such judgments and scold developing countries for possessing such weapons, but them, themselves possesing the weapons... Isn't that Hypocritical and equally EVIL..?..? i would think so.

And I kind of doubt that Pakistan would start shipping to Saudi, considering they are already dealing with civil issues A-Z... And, the Pakistani gov't have stated, they are trying to avoide getting tangled in any other int'l issue, esp. during the Iraq War and after... They are already dealing with India, Kashmir, and Sunni-Shia problems... I think Pakistan is currently trying to focus on getting back on its feets, both socially and economically.

Remember, Pakistan is and has always been trying to make better relations with the US, especially right now...

However, along with many other people I am slightly worried about Pakistan's capabilities... I have always and will remain specitical of what Pakistan does.

Just a friendly suggestion Dread, for future reference, when you are going to hold yourself responsible for saying something about Pakistan just to test what i'm going to say in response, try and research a little more about Pakistan before you say it. :)))

Amna said:
Just a friendly suggestion Dread, for future reference, when you are going to hold yourself responsible for saying something about Pakistan just to test what i'm going to say in response, try and research a little more about Pakistan before you say it. :)))

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get any sense that Dread was trying to rile you up with his statement...

Funny, I belive I defended Pakistan in here a long time ago when Arun was declaring them a terrorist country. He was saying I was not educated on the topic at the time. Now I am again...LOL being accused of being uneducated.

FYI...I posted an article less than a week ago about an agreement between Pakistan and Saudi Arabia being involved in a secret nuclear arms agreement. Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt(insert cute smiley here). As to my spelling error I frequently make spelling mistakes when I am suffering from Migrane attacks...which I currently have. I apologize to you for my error in advance. I hope you will not be offended in the future should I critique your spelling or grammar (insert cute smiley here).

Anitram.....

Thank you so very much for giving me the benfit of the doubt. I appreciate it. It seems that everytime I post something that Amna does not agree with I have "not done my research". This is I believe possibly the third or fourth time it has been said. I guess it is perfectly alright to make a point about the United States, but not about Pakistan.

Peace

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom