Now this was interesting... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2006, 05:05 AM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

No, it's been said in here before by some that it's not possible. Stating that you can't ask for forgiveness for a sin that you live in and don't recognise as a sin.
as a christian or not, whether you believe homosexuality is a sin is a point of perspective. (and if anyone throws a bible quote at me here supporting one side or another, i swear i will hunt you down and slap you! just a warning)

those who don't believe it to be a sin and (heres that word again) ACCEPT it obviously believe it is possible to be christian and gay.

those who do not accept homosexuality and believe it to be a complete abomination and a sin worthy of eternal damnation will obviously feel it's impossible to be christian and gay... i can only presume the very thought of living in sin is alien to these people though

and even then, we're all aware we sin on a daily basis... therefore even if you do believe homosexuality is a sin then i still dont' see why it impossible to live with that sin and still be an active christian... the same way someone who lies or blasphemes or commits any sin on a regular basis while fully aware its a sin would still classify themselves as an christian.
isn't that why that guy - you know the one.... Jesus i think his name was - died for our sins?

so once again, back to the question at hand, its a matter of perspective and acceptance, not possibility

Old 05-16-2006, 08:15 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

No, it's been said in here before by some that it's not possible. Stating that you can't ask for forgiveness for a sin that you live in and don't recognise as a sin.
Granted, but it seems to me that God is not going to "punish" you for doing something that you don't believe is wrong. It's the willful choice to reject God, to go against His will, knowing that you are doing so that might more accurately create a situation of "impossibility."

There's a lesbian couple that sometimes attends our church and sends their daughter to Sabbath School (Saturday version of Sunday School) every week. They're both wonderful people and want their child to have a Christian upbringing. I think being a Christian has more to do with what your relationship is to Jesus, rather than relative "sinlessness" of your life. Which is not to say that sin is a non-issue. It is, but positing a situation in which one particular "sin" determines whether you are a Christian or not doesn't make much sense to me.

A few other observations:

I know that this is a very sensitive issue for many of us, but I do wish that people could recognize that fundamentalist Christians who take the Bible seriously can't just dimiss statements in the Bible out of hand. Their faith is based on the authority of Scripture so if they're going to toss something out they're going to have to wrestle with it. I'll grant you must fundamentalist Christians don't do much wrestling on this issue, which I think is a shame.

Presuming, homosexuality is not a sin, IF you're coming from a more orthodox Christian perspective, it still doesn't change the basic fact that all people are sinners in need of grace. This is not a popular concept for anyone in today's culture.