Now this got my blood boiling.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Something tells me that Jamila is referring to the testing of nuclear explosives, rather than tectonic plate movement.

nbcrusader said:

Prevent tectonic plate movement?

no. prevent more nuclear testing.

as for plate movement, not much we can do about that, but we can install a tsunami warning system in the Indian Ocean like they have in the Pacific (and have had since the Hilo, Hawaii tsunami in 1949). it's hardly complicated. also, some general education would be good. residents of Hawaii know exactly what to do should they either hear a tsunami warning siren or see the ocean receeding in front of them: run.

What use is there for a warning system when the infrastructure to get the message to the people on the beaches doesn't exist, it isn't Hawaii were talking about, educating millions of costal villagers would be a difficult undertaking for an event that is relatively rare?

That money dollars could be used to save millions of lives with clean drinking water. It could be used for greater education about the risk of AIDS. Basically we can save more lives if we adress the preventable daily problems in SE asia that kill tens of thousands rather than the 1/30,000 danger that kills 200,000.

well, ideally we could do both. the tsunami system isn't particularly expensive -- it just needs to be there. i agree with the crux of your argument, that preventable daily problems need to be addressed, but one does not exclude the other. seriously -- all it takes is a warning siren.

Warning siren + Communications Network + Monitoring Stations + Clear and organised regional Chain of Command to deal with the problems.

It is dooable but it would be a thing that would seem a waste of money 20 or 30 years down the track.

A_Wanderer said:
Warning siren + Communications Network + Monitoring Stations + Clear and organised regional Chain of Command to deal with the problems.

:up:

Theres a lot of coast line in Indonesia, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, hundreds of islands, etc

but the people who monitor the Pacific for earthquakes knew this happened before the waves hit, and the reason they couldn't warn people was there was no effective method of communication -- the only country to receive warning was Somalia. i agree that this is the biggest obstacle, but certainly in towns like Banda Ache something can be done. just because you can't necessarily warn a small island doesn't mean the larger cities on Sumatra should go without.

Im not disagreeing with the need of a monitoring and alert system. I agree with A Wanderer though, its not the highest priority. Some of these places are incredibly poor. Is it justifiable to allow many thousands of people to die because of lack of clean water, sanitation, and medical assistance so that a monitoring and alert station can be maintained? I think not.

Irvine, I do agree with you. It would be good if it could happen. I have lived in a part of NW Australia that shares waters, and natural disasters with these countries.

I would love to see it happen. In fact if it ever does come off I hope its based in Perth and not Sydney as per the gossip. I work in risk management and would love to work for a department such as the one that is proposed/gossiped.

Lets hope one day soon there is enough money to go around for all the things that are required.

peace

Back
Top Bottom