Now this got my blood boiling.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think we (the US) needs to hit itself with the pain stick some more before we criticize statements out of the Middle East again......

Does anyone have a traslated article from the Mid East media outlets that are spewing all this? I'd have to read it.

I wondered how long it was going to take before some losers tried to find a "human" connection to a natural disaster. Took a few days only. People SO need tangible scapegoats.

Maybe we can blame Pakistan...weren't they the last ones to test the A bomb couple years ago? Sure, it was many thousands of miles away from Indonesia, but maybe its vibrations loosened the plate just enough resulting in the Dec. 04 earthquake.

You suck Pakistan!

(Just kidding...i'm from there, eh...)

coemgen said:
:huh: Free tip of the day: Don't try to put the code for a emoticon in parentheses.

:mad:

if you put a space between the emoticon and the closing parentheses, it will work fine. ( :) )

After World War II, the US set off hundreds of nuclear bombs in micronesia, near where three tectonic plates meet. They were done there because the tests were deemed too dangerous to be done on US soil. The most powerful bomb tested in Nevada, is less than 1% as powerful as the largest bombs tested there.

Did all those atomic bombs 40 years ago possibly damage the earth's tectonic plates? Perhaps Pakistan or India's underground nuclear tests did it? It's anybody's guess.

Here's an interesting article I found:

http://publish.portland.indymedia.org/en/2005/01/307168.shtml

U2democrat said:
Various fundamentalist media outlets in the middle east (Egypt for one example) is saying that the U.S. caused the tsunami by testing nuclear weapons. :mad::madspit::angry::censored:

How stupid can some people be anyway?:scratch:

Thanks a lot for the link, datatyme, I skimmed through it for a few minutes (I need sleep very badly as I am typing), but for sure I will read the whole thing word for word after I charge my batteries.

Before I go on, allow me to say this: I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THAT THE USA IS RESPONSIBLE FOR CAUSING THE TSUNAMI UNTIL WE ARE PROVEN GUILTY OF IT BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT. With that said, it's interesting how nuclear testing may play a role in a natural disaster. Of course I really hope the person who provided these explanations is completely sane and honest, and not a nutcase. I read bits of it with quite a bit of doubt, it's not easy to overcome.

Wait a second, this isn't "The Jews" fault, these guys are letting themselves down, they have to stick to the same story otherwise these elaborate conspiracy tales just look pathetic.

p.s. Nuclear weapons could trigger a tsunami if they were used to trigger a collapse of the continental shelf, but the concept that atomic tests caused tsunamis by creating a 9.2 earthquake is implausible (not least because such a weapon would have to be a true doomsday device, freaking huge)- get a freaking cluepon, not everything in this world is the fault of the United States this event was caused by a big chunk of cold oceanic crust subducting beneath the continental crust that the entire archipelligo was built from (oceanic crust melts and moves to surface creating new continental crust), the energy released from this makes most nuclear weapons look piss weak.

p.p.s. Why is it that people attack the US for nuclear testing ignoring the partial test ban treaties that it pioneered as well as the more massive tests conducted by the USSR. Testing these weapons was a very important thing to do, understanding the mechanisms and learning from experience has yielded important knowledge about the power of the atom, this energy can be used for peaceful purposes (project Orion for instance was a legitimate use of nuclear devices). Do not be so quick to judge the deeds of nations with the benefits of hindsight.

I cannot abide such petty politiking at the expense of facts over a natural disaster especially one of this magnitude. A more reputable page on this may be found here

Last edited:
Can I also just point out a great website www.memri.org , it provides translations and downloads of various ME media outlets, now it is not representative of whats on TV however what it demonstrates is that these views are presented on supposedly moderate outlets and become widely accepted. The "group think" that one may find in the cesspool of state controlled media outlets in the Arab world just makes conjecture that we here find laughable become legitimate in the eyes of millions.

Here is the quote from Al-Usbu'
"Was [the earthquake] caused by American, Israeli, and Indian nuclear testing on 'the day of horror?' Why did the 'Ring of Fire' explode?... The three most recent [nuclear] tests appeared to be genuine American and Israeli preparations to act together with India to test a way to liquidate humanity."
Pesky bloody Zionist Hindu's.

Last edited:
Um. That is not what I'd call a balanced article...Apologies again :huh:

There seem to be a few debating this is people want more for the discussion?

i think the really sad part is not that a blatant, ridiculous lie is out there, but that a lot of people are just ready to believe it!

similar things were said by a lot of idiots in my country (Turkey) when the earthquake struck here-although it wasnt american nuclear testing, it was god's wrath or whatever.

unfortunately, the public has a tendency to take everything on TV as a fact. really, like when colin powell showed pictures of WMDs in the security council and said 'this, this and this... these are WMDs' didnt many people take it as a fact.

or recently i saw this book by a guy called texe marrs, who blamed every single thing wrong with the planet on 'the illuminati' and the jews (cheap-shot) he said stuff like, jews steal our money and govern our country secretly and theyre in league with african-american societies! what the hell. i dont even count thousands of pundits who think that way in the middle east.

im sure a lot of people are willing to overlook some evidence (and sometimes the obvious) to believe some lies they like.

if you can tell a lie and make it likeable enough, you dont have to justify it with any facts :wink: isnt life beautiful?

It's the same old scapegoating the Jews deal again, only now they have to claim it's a U.S. -Jewish thing. A new twist on an ancient and unfortunate prejudice.

Check the quote, the Zionists are still in there, its just your run of the mill Arab Street paranoid anti-semitism.

This thread would be more reputable if we could have stuck to the history of nuclear testing, the effects on the environment and the peoples of the SE Asian Islands which have been devastated by blatant misuse of nuclear testing over the decades in the area by the USA, France and others instead of this turning into another rant against the Arab media.

Ranting and raving about those you have demonstrated over and over again that you don't like is no better than what you claim that they do to others.

When does all the animosity stop and one side becomes the better one and stop spreading the animosity?

:tsk:

Ranting and raving about those you have demonstrated over and over again that you don't like is no better than what you claim that they do to others.

Two questions, firstly "who" is it that I don't like and secondly how is pointing to a quote explicitly refered to in post one introducing animosity into the mix?

The goon was blaming the tsunami on the Jews, Hindus and Americans and this is a flawed statement that has nothing to do with nuclear testing and the environment and everything to do with state controlled media outlets fostering hatred against "the great satans" to keep their own populations rage away from their kleptocratic leaders. You cannot create an earthquake of this magnitude using nuclear weapons in any of the worlds arsenels, the ammount of energy in them is minute compared to the billions of tonnes of rock being heaved by plate tectonics; like comparing a firecracker to a tonne of dynamite.

Pointing this out is not the same as saying that the Jews, Americans and Hindus are trying to liquidate humanity - now if I had said that Pakistan and Iran had planted nuclear weapons on the sea floor to test their Islamic bombs effectiveness in preparation to exterminate christian babies then that would be no better than those who would make and distribute such views but that is not what I said and the fact remains that a reasonable ammount of the Arab media exists in an inverted reality where the lot of 1.2 billion Muslims in the world is governed by a few secretive Jewish overlords. I doubt that most people who live in these countries believe this tripe - are these the people who I am "against", the victims of this vile propaganda? Is that no different than saying that those who made "Outfoxed" bear a hatred towards Fox News watching individuals?

Quotes in context is not ranting and raving and I find that characterisation misguided. Pointing out that there is massive anti-semitism that is fostered by the political and religious leadership in the Arab and Islamic world is also not ranting or raving, it is a sad fact that should be acknowledged and dealt with in a proper manner by dialogue rather than swept under the carpet so that we may plead ignorance when those hatreds boil over in violence. Too many here see fit to say that only their own view of the world is right and refuse to have it challenged, to that I invite people to challenge my views with evidence and show me condemnations of anti-semitism from within the Arab world, show me the vast majority of Palestinians renounce violence and give support for a two state solution, show me the United Nations solving disputes and creating lasting peace - not merely upholding an unstable status quo, show me a world where leaders are reallly interested in peace and prosperity and dictators abandon their despotic ways and let their people live free and happy lives by their own volition. I would be immensely happy if you did show me these things - it would be better to live in a world like that and be wrong than to have the world be a place where things are fucked up and people simply ignore.

I see things this way
> Human beings are all more or less the same on a biological level, there are races and variation but our similarities far outweigh our differences.

> Fundamental human rights do not exist unless they are accepted or enforced, these rights trancend both society and culture and can be derived from agreeable logical principles - the reason that greivous violations occur in the world is because mankind is neither agreeable or logical when it comes to maintaining power and ruling over others be it slaves or wives.

> We all are for the most part are born with the potential to do great things but through mostly circumstance and sometimes choice the probability of that ever happening is very, very, very infinitesimally small (consider Josef Stalin's origins and the role that he casts in history, very rare occurance for such a man both in background and vile spirit to rise to power and shape the world but it does on occasion happen).

> Man inhabits this small world, we will one day leave the cradle for greater things but in order to do this we must break down the barriers that seperate us. Barriers of poverty, nation and religon will have to be abandoned - this cannot occur until technology is both at the right stage and distributed evenly. The greatest sources of environmental degradation is poverty. Why aren't we cleaning up poverty

> Mankind will survive and flourish and the Earth will survive in the long run.

I guess I am a hater unless I join in the "I will bash America for what it has done and unless it lives up to my own set of impossible standards that no other actor has to accept then I will continue to bash it" parade :|

Nuclear tests happen; after the war all of the great powers were doing them to learn about these terrible weapons; did they misjudge the long term effects of these weapons in the beginning - yes. Does this make the decision to test those weapons wrong - in that it is a bit more ambiguous because of the benefits yielded, the knowledge and skills thate were developed that have applications that go beyone wiping out millions of human beings in a single foul flash of gamma radiation and ensuing firestorm. I would lean towards saying that tests were justified however there should have been more care directed towards the radiation exposure on those involved and the environment, today ignorance of the risks is no longer an excuse.

Last edited:
great post, AW.

i find it hard to believe you were born in 1986. let me know when you publish your first book and chair a department.

I blame the weblogs :wink:

Managing to maintain a healthy distance between my two main interests is generally good; the dichotomy between science and politics is great, if ever I get really pissed off at one I can escape into the other. If I have trouble writing a post then I turn around and do some physics or geology. The greatest danger is when science and politics mix, from eugenics to the sham that was nuclear winter politically inspired science is just junk science.

Last edited:
i hear you, i have a blog addiction as well.

but seriously, you've got some great skills -- it appears as if you're headed for a career in academics, and that sounds like it would suit you very well. lots of luck (it can be a brutal world ... i was going to do American Studies, then decided not to, went into television, and am now wondering if i shouldn't go back to grad school ... oh, what to do, what to do ...)

It is a history that the world knows a great deal about, in fact of all the atomic programs it is those of the USA and UK that get the most exposure as nobody gives a stuff about the damage done by Soviet and Chinese tests, thanks to a popular backlash against these tests the USA and to a lesser extent France cleaned up their act significantly, this is a good thing in preventing atmospheric tests but bad in that it prevents the development of smaller nuclear weapons (I would rather see an arsenel of tactical nukes than armageddon inducing devices). I can only hope that the same ammount of pressure is put upon countries like Iran and North Korea not to conduct tests in an unsafe manner that is placed upon western nations.

p.s. Great link Jamila, http://www.bikiniatoll.com/ . the "What about radiation on Bikini Atoll" section, it dispells some myths regarding the long term effects of nuclear tests.

Lets look at some facts:
In south east Asia, one of the poorest regions in the world an unfortunate thing happend. The Earths plates shifted ( ie an earthquake) and rose a good 30 metres above where they usually sat, this caused a Tsunami. The Tsunami then belted the shit through that particular region killing over 100,000 people.

This is not the time to worry about pride, sacrifice it to do what is right: get compassionate towards those who lost their lives, their family, friends, homes, and all they worked to contribute to the world.

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
The thread started as a commentary on Arab media?

It seems that the ranting shifted to question the actions of the US.
True. I may have been asking a little too much when I asked for an explanation about how the US could possibly be responsible for this awful disaster. Again, I don't believe we would have much sanity to "take responsibility" for this catastrophe. I was, and still am, curious as to how the Middle East would play the tape on how America is "responsible."

Back
Top Bottom