Now that's a fish!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevster2k

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Just something to ease our brains.

giantcatfish.jpg

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Fishermen in northern Thailand have caught the biggest catfish on record -- a 646-pound (293-kg) giant the size of a grizzly bear -- and eaten it, the WWF and the
National Geographic Society said on Wednesday.

The giant catfish, believed to be the largest freshwater fish ever found, was caught along the Mekong River, home to more species of massive fish than any river on Earth.

"We've now confirmed that this catfish is the current record holder, an astonishing find," Dr Zeb Hogan, a WWF Conservation Science Fellow, said in the joint statement.

Local environmentalists and government officials tried to negotiate the release of the fish so it could continue its spawning migration in the far north of Thailand but the adult male died and was eaten in a remote village, it said.

The Mekong giant catfish is southeast Asia's largest and rarest fish and the focus of a National Geographic Society project headed by Hogan to study freshwater fish greater than 6.5 feet or 220 pounds (100 kg).

Holy crap! Where do you find a frying pan for that thing? The bones would be easy to spot anyway.
:wink:

Oh wow, a giant rare fish! Quick! Harpoon it! Then kill them. After we blow up fucking Japan for their latest whaling bullshit.
:mad:

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to post this to be insensitive. I was not aware of the endangered nature of this fish when I saw the pictures. I was overwhelmed by the size of the fish.

And I just googled the Makong catfish and yeah, this really really sucks. This poor animal is critically endangered and on its way to extinction. Typical human behaviour to exhaust our resources to the point of extinction. I learned something from this post.

:(

Last edited:
trevster2k said:
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to post this to be insensitive. I was not aware of the endangered nature of this fish when I saw the pictures. I was overwhelmed by the size of the fish.

And I just googled the Makong catfish and yeah, this really really sucks. This poor animal is critically endangered and on its way to extinction. Typical human behaviour to exhaust our resources to the point of extinction. I learned something from this post.

:(

I hope I didn't come across as implying you dont give a shit about it being an endangered species. Its size is impressive. I think my greenie/conservationist/hippy radar is in overdrive lately.

actually the govt. pays fishermen to release it when they catch it. This is for the most part. Im in a geography of Asia class and we watched a video that talked about this on thursday. Small world

Eh, so they ate a gigantic fish. Big deal. At least they didn't waste it by mounting it on a wall. Though I don't know if they could find a wall large enough for it in their village. Maybe that's why they ate it.

Back
Top Bottom