Not Just a Man and a Woman in Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelordevil

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
The Supreme Court in Canada looks likely to legalize same-sex marriage later today, December 9th. If this happens, Canada will be one of the few countries in the world to give such a blessing.

Just wondering what U2 would think of such unions...they are a band who are both immersed in religion--and seemingly open-minded and tolerant of minority groups. Where do you think they stand?

Where do YOU stand?

Where do I stand? I think this thread is an interesting one that deserves discussion, but it is in the wrong section!

-Miggy D

:up:

i think it's a huge step in the right direction. great day for canada.

*edit: this was just the supreme court giving the ok to the legislature to go ahead and make the legislation that will legalize same-sex marriage. it's not a done deal yet, but we're on our on way.

Last edited:
verte76 said:
I like it. I can see it now, a whole slew of gays leaving the U.S. and going to Canada.

Isn't Canada already full, what with all the "if Bush wins I'm moving to Canada" people ???

cardosino said:

Isn't Canada already full, what with all the "if Bush wins I'm moving to Canada" people ???
From what I've heard, the Canadian government has taken measures to reduce that crowd from coming in. Otherwise, I think Canada would become overpopulated.

Since I hear Melon wants to move to Canada, I am hoping he finds love and gets married.

I want to be there!:wink:

cardosino said:

Canada has been doing stuff for years to prevent political immigration, going back to when they cracked down on people coming in there to try to escape the draft. If you're gay and your government is saying "we don't like your lifestyle" and someone else's government says "you're cool", it's impossible that the temptation wouldn't be there. It is.

Beware of a Ralph Nader quote:

"Canadians know little about their achievements in the past. They don't even teach them in their schools."

Dec. 9, 1992 - from an interview on CBC Television, quoted in Famous Lasting Words by John Robert Columbo

Sarah Vowell (American) and Douglas Coupland (Canadian) have actually both written about how well-informed, historically speaking, the average Canadian is.

I'll take a stab at this. So you're suggesting that American gays who might want to go to Canada to get married might want to rethink it because of something vague Nader said about the Canadian education system 14 years ago?

paxetaurora said:
Sarah Vowell (American) and Douglas Coupland (Canadian) have actually both written about how well-informed, historically speaking, the average Canadian is.
You could write Ralph a letter, he seems to be mis-informed if that's the case.

As far as the direction Canada is going, only time will tell if it works out.

Last edited:
He also said that 14 years ago, so I'm not certain it's even relevant, let alone correct--if it ever was. I don't think Ralph Nader's area of specialty is the Canadian education system.

Now let's get this thread back on track, okay?

Macfistowannabe said:
Beware of a Ralph Nader quote:

"Canadians know little about their achievements in the past. They don't even teach them in their schools."

Dec. 9, 1992 - from an interview on CBC Television, quoted in Famous Lasting Words by John Robert Columbo

History can teach us nothing---STING

Back
Top Bottom