Northwest Airlines Refuses Gay Couple's Award Tickets - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:16 PM
Northwest Airlines Refuses Gay Couple's Award Tickets

Sounds to me like they are in clear violation of the law, I don't know the CA law but just based on what is stated here. How could the airline not know that is discrimination?

PlanetOut Network Sat Feb 11, 8:01 PM ET

Northwest Airlines took heat from the ACLU on Thursday for refusing to honor award tickets that a gay couple in Los Angeles tried to use for a trip to Florida.

In a letter to Northwest, the legal advocacy group said the airline's action violated California's nondiscrimination laws.

Rob Anders, a longtime airline industry employee, won the tickets at a holiday party in December. When he tried to redeem the tickets for a trip with his registered domestic partner, the airline refused, saying it would only recognize a spouse, another airline employee or a dependent child as a suitable "companion" for the award ticket.

"What happened to Mr. Anders and his partner violates California law and is clearly discriminatory," said Christine P. Sun, ACLU of Southern California staff attorney. "We are asking that the company not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or marital status and honor Mr. Anders' ticket for him and a companion."

The ACLU cited the Unruh Civil Rights Act, which mandates "full and equal accommodations, advantages, facilities, privileges or services in all business establishments of every kind whatsoever" without regard to sexual orientation or marital status.

Anders, 60, said he had been planning to use the tickets to see his 89-year-old mother in Florida until Northwest's refusal.

"I felt terrible," he said. "I thought what they were doing was unfair."

Old 02-12-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:16 PM
California's law is very broad - I bet they get their tickets shortly.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:16 AM
That's a really rotten thing to do.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:00 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

I guess you need to look at such programs and ask whether it is reasonable for a company to put any restriction of the award of a companion ticket.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 02-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:16 AM
Crikey...I would interpret a "companion ticket" as something you can even use for a friend.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:06 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo
Crikey...I would interpret a "companion ticket" as something you can even use for a friend.
I have used many companion tickets from other airlines for friends. I don't recall ever even being asked what the relationship was with the companion.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:47 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I guess you need to look at such programs and ask whether it is reasonable for a company to put any restriction of the award of a companion ticket.
I don't think there's any reasonable restriction on companion tickets. If they don't want a second person to go at all, then make it single-only.

Melon
Old 02-12-2006, 02:54 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo
Yeah. I would too. If they want it to be spouse of child only it should clearly state spouse of child only and not state companion.

I pulled up this definition of companion:

com·pan·ion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (km-pnyn)
n.

A person who accompanies or associates with another; a comrade.
A domestic partner.
A person employed to assist, live with, or travel with another.
One of a pair or set of things; a mate.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:16 PM
I think they tried to use that as an excuse not to award the ticket and ended up looking like idiots.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:59 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:16 PM
Old 03-01-2006, 12:56 AM   #12
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

This is preposterous! I cannot believe an airline would do this. I too have used "companion" tickets from friends and my Ex, so this is just total crap. I hope the couple gets compensated and then some. Stupid airlines!
Old 03-01-2006, 12:45 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

NWA
Old 03-01-2006, 01:42 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:16 AM
Old 03-01-2006, 08:25 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Funny.

I think only ONE person remotely understands the issue here. The article HARDLY describes the whole issue here. This is NOT a sexual orientation issue.

Those of you who know me outside the walls of the blue crack know that I would know A LOT about this particular company. I am VERY close to two gay individuals that work for this airline, and know hundreds of others...and I can ASSURE you that this company does NOT discriminate against their employees concerning sexual orientation. IF YOU ARE AN EMPLOYEE of NWA, you can designate your Domestic Partner as either a Registered Travel Companion or your Domestic Partner in order to allow them to take advantage of your pass privledges. that's why I find this aricle/claim so absurd.

HERE is the issue: I am pretty sure (as indicated by the article above) that he is an employee of another airline. Airlines often "trade" passes for holiday parties. These passes have restrictions (this is consistent with ALL airlines). His significant other may be registered with his airline...but, unfortunately, that doesn't often carry over to other airlines. This is not an NWA specific thing.

As an airline employee (a male), if I was domestically recognized as being a partner with Joyfulgirl (a female), and received a pass from another airline at a holiday party...she would NOT be able to use the pass. Simple rules.

Now, if our society/state governments would recognize gay marriage...this little, fairly un-newsworthy piece would not be an issue.

Further, because of this guy bitching, NO airline will give out "holiday employee passes" next year!