Northwest Airlines Refuses Gay Couple's Award Tickets - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2006, 08:33 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:57 PM
Just for clarification, if this guy won 2 passes, they could only be used by him, on 2 separate occasions, right?

Old 03-01-2006, 08:43 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
Just for clarification, if this guy won 2 passes, they could only be used by him, on 2 separate occasions, right?
It is hard to clarify when it comes to employee specific passes on other airlines.

He won EMPLOYEE PASSES (not award tickets as typed by the starter of this thread or the article that was posted here). WHOLE different story.

I am sure the airline will allow his Domestic Partner travel....but airline employees will not see passes at next year's holiday party.

What company wants negative publicity when in reality they thought they were being nice by giving passes to another airline as "good will"?

Old 03-01-2006, 08:45 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:57 PM
I don't know why they have to make these goofy passes so complicated. If he wants to take a complete stranger with him on an airline, I don't see why NWA or any airline has to give a flying fuck.

Melon
Old 03-01-2006, 08:56 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I don't know why they have to make these goofy passes so complicated. If he wants to take a complete stranger with him on an airline, I don't see why NWA or any airline has to give a flying fuck.

Melon
I could not agree with you more. I would love nothing more than to be able to take whoever I want, anywhere I want using the benefits I have.

BUT, there are policies in place because of YEARS of abuse by employees and now, very tight tax laws.

As a single male working for an airline...I have two sets of 16 opportunities to take "companions" (friends) on trips. For example, I have registered my young lady friend as my official "Registered Travel Comp"

When she travels, I get taxes taken out of my paycheck for her "free travel." A recent trip from Boston to Indianapolis and back, I was "taxed" $128. Still cheaper than buying a ticket...but not much these days.

The airlines get the taxes taken from THEM if they are not collected. Maybe if he is willing to pay for these taxes, they will let his Domestic partner go! ?
Old 03-01-2006, 10:13 PM   #20
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 12:57 PM
What took you so long Jeff?

http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid26232.asp
Old 03-01-2006, 10:18 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

Good to see it makes sense. It would be difficult for me to boycott NWA, since it's the most convenient airline where I live.

Melon
Old 03-01-2006, 10:55 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

Thanks for posting this...hopefully this will teach all the naysayers a lesson.

Don't beLIEve everything you read.

As for "where have I been": I try to avoid FYM because of the bullshit threads posted here like this one where people post articles without fact checking...and then the sheep blindly follow. And things are busy and I am living in a hotel four nights a week right now without Interference access!
Old 03-02-2006, 08:11 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I posted this thread a couple of weeks ago, it was a link on Yahoo from a gay web site. I just thought it was an interesting subject for discussion and obviously the other info was not known at the time. It's not my job to be a "fact checker", this isn't a newspaper or TV station. So there's no need to insult me or other people here either.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:18 AM   #24
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:57 PM
^ Ditto...
Old 03-02-2006, 08:23 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:57 PM
MrsS
Old 03-02-2006, 11:28 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!

Thanks for posting this...hopefully this will teach all the naysayers a lesson.

Don't beLIEve everything you read.

As for "where have I been": I try to avoid FYM because of the bullshit threads posted here like this one where people post articles without fact checking...and then the sheep blindly follow. And things are busy and I am living in a hotel four nights a week right now without Interference access!
The thread was started based on a news article from a generally reputable source. There was nothing to suggest that the article was "bullshit" in any way, and the collective active membership of FYM does a fairly good job of keeping the real bullshit out.

FYM is not the judge and jury to decide issues of fact. Rarely do we wait for all available facts before presenting opinions on a subject. If we did wait for all available facts, I doubt we would have 10% of the discussion we have today.

The post, even if the article did not include all the facts, presented a framework of issues for discussion - and remains valid even if the specific facts of the case in question have changed.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:57 PM
^
Old 03-03-2006, 09:55 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

The post, even if the article did not include all the facts, presented a framework of issues for discussion - and remains valid even if the specific facts of the case in question have changed.
Framework for WHAT discussion?

How the ACLU files false claims before they research the claim?

I do not see ANYONE questioning the ACLU in this thread...or even the guy who made the claim (except me). I see a bunch of uninformed "barking" towards a company who followed a simple policy - and that actually provides quite a bit for THEIR employees who are gay or lesbian.

I felt insulted by this post - especially knowing that the person who wrote the article for this "reliable" source did not even have an airline representative quoted in the article. I journalism school, we were taught to cover both sides of the story equally. Fair and balanced. That was CLEARLY not the case here.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:03 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Don't get me wrong...I appreciate when people post articles, state their opinions, and get involved in fairly good debates/conversations of issues.

But articles that are posted...and then not discussed beyond the first post or a few uninformed opinions? I KNOW we (as U2 fans) are more intelligent than that.

Strive!
Old 03-03-2006, 11:09 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:57 PM
perhaps if you went about expressing your discontentment with the original article by simply contradicting the information given, you wouldn't be running into problems here. MrsSpringsteen posted an article she thought would generate some interesting discussion, and your comments about how the information in the article is wrong are relevant and definitely welcome. however, i do think you could have made your point without getting personal and insulting her for posting the article and the people who responded to it.