Northern Ireland Police COLLUDED with Killers !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
The article says it all:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/6286695.stm

NI police colluded with killers

Police colluded with loyalists behind over a dozen murders in north Belfast, a report by the Police Ombudsman of Northern Ireland has confirmed.

Nuala O'Loan's report said UVF members in the area committed murders and other serious crimes while working as informers for Special Branch.

It said two retired Assistant Chief Constables refused to cooperate with the investigation.

Special Branch officers gave the killers immunity, it said.

The officers ensured the murderers were not caught and even "baby-sat" them during police interviews to help them avoid incriminating themselves.

The Special Branch officers "created false notes" and blocked searches for UVF weapons.

POLICE COLLUSION REPORT

They also paid almost £80,000 to leading loyalist Mark Haddock, jailed for 10 years last November for an attack on a nightclub doorman.

Responding to the report, Chief Constable Sir Hugh Orde offered an apology to the victims' families.

He said the report made "shocking, disturbing and uncomfortable reading".

As a consequence of the practices of Special Branch, the position of the UVF, particularly in north Belfast and Newtownabbey was consolidated and strengthened over the years.

(Nuala O'Loan
Police Ombudsman)

NI Secretary Peter Hain said it "shone a torch into a very dark corner".

The prime minister's official spokesman said: "This is a deeply disturbing report about events which were totally wrong and should never have happened."

The report, published on Monday, called for a number of murder investigations to be re-opened.

But it is unlikely that any of the police officers involved will be prosecuted - the ombudsman said that evidence was deliberately destroyed to ensure there could not be prosecutions.

Nuala O'Loan said investigation was a lengthy task.

"What emerged during our inquiries was that all of the informants at the centre of this investigation were members of the UVF," she said.

"There was no effective strategic management of these informants. As a consequence of the practices of Special Branch, the position of the UVF, particularly in north Belfast and Newtownabbey was consolidated and strengthened over the years. How could this happen?

"The handling of informants was done on a day to day basis. There were very few rules. There was no management intervention to ensure informants were properly managed and supervised. The PSNI have produced no evidence that action was taken by the RUC to prevent what ultimately happened."

CRIMES LINKED TO INFORMANTS

The murders of 10 people
10 attempted murders
10 "punishment" shootings
13 "punishment" attacks
A bomb attack in Monaghan
17 instances of drug dealing
Additional criminality, including criminal damage, extortion and intimidation

Mrs O'Loan said former Chief Constable Sir Ronnie Flanagan was interviewed by her office, but was unable to assist the investigation.

The report said: "Others, including some serving officers, gave evasive, contradictory, and on occasion farcical answers to questions.

On occasion those answers indicated either a significant failure to understand the law, or contempt for the law."

The ombudsman's investigation began more than three years ago when Belfast welder Raymond McCord claimed that his son, also called Raymond, had been killed by a police informer.

The former RAF man, 22, was beaten to death and his body dumped in a quarry in 1997.

Mr McCord has said he wants those who murdered his son to be put in prison.

He said he had received a death threat at the weekend from the UVF.

Mr McCord said that during his campaign of justice for his son he had been made to feel by police that he was "some sort of crank".

Among the investigations which could be re-opened are the murder in north Belfast in 1992 of 27-year-old taxi driver Sharon McKenna, who was shot at the home of an elderly friend.

The names of the police officers and the informers have not been made public.

However, it is known that the main informer at the centre of the investigation is Mark Haddock, who was named in the Irish parliament 15 months ago as a UVF killer.

Some of the Special Branch officers criticised in the report have rejected the ombudsman's allegations as "unfounded and incapable of substantiation".

In a statement, the Northern Ireland Retired Police Officers' Association said they had always acted in the best interests of the pursuit of justice and had nothing to be ashamed of.

The officers also challenged the ombudsman to disclose the details of any evidence of their criminal behaviour discovered during her investigation.

:tsk:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, how can the ombudsman disclose any details of the evidence if it is known that the NI police DESTROYED any evidence of their criminal behavior with the UVF?

That was just a STUPID response by some of those NI "police officers" who were there during this dastardly time. :eyebrow:

Second, although I have always stated that I did not condone any paramilitary violence by the republican forces - whether the Real or Provisional IRA - I also always told people that the SAME SORT OF VIOLENCE (if not worse) WAS BEING DONE BY THOSE ON THE LOYALIST SIDE , like the UVF.

Now, the Northern Ireland government is being forced to admit the same.:ohmy:

Third, now do people understand WHY Sinn Fein has had such a hard time trying to get its constituency in NI to go along with the policing plan of the NI government?

My God, if I lived in NI and had to live in this kind of harassment and fear of the people who are supposed to PROTECT me (the NI police) knowing that in the past they were some of the same people trying to KILL ME AND MY COMMUNITY, I don't think that I would support the policing plan of the NI government either.

It's called self-protection. :rockon:

I completely agree, JCOSTER.

And it has historically been made that way by such dastardly, unhanded things as described in this article.

When history shakes everything out in Northern Ireland, the Brits and their supporters are really going to look shabby in their credibility and their actions in NI.

:bonodrum:

Well it's certainly disturbing, and Jamila is quite right in saying that the loyalists were every bit as bad as the 'republican' terrorists.

I would criticize Blair for a lot, but I would give him a lot of credit for his work on the peace process.

It takes them this long to inform us of what we have known of years:happy:

It's pathetic really...Oh and this is for only one informant...still plenty more instances of collusion to be looked into and likely no prosecutions due to 'missing evidence'.

Also guess who is in charge of overseeing policing over the whole of the UK? None other than Ronnie Flannigan, of course he denies knowing anything that went on under his watch:rolleyes:

Strange that this thread about White Anglo-Saxon Christian terrorist killers gets so little attention, but threads about Muslim terrorists get so much attention here.

Strange that George W. Bush didn't mention, in his state of the nation address, the issue of an government organ of his close ally, the so-called 'United' Kingdom, colluding in terrorist murders.

Strange that there haven't been any debates on Fox News about this problem, and whether or not military intervention is a suitable response.

Strange that threads about state sponsored, state approved terrorism are largely ignored.

Strange that we don't want to talk about the evil in our midst, that dwells within us.

I guess it's easier to point the finger at other cultures.

I don't think there is a need to be so harsh....It's more of a popularity contest....the only media to give the story anytime was the media in Ireland...

The English media more or less dropped it after the first day....Iraq is everyone's focus, there hasn't been the same interest in NI since Clinton, it's just not something people think about much anymore outside of NI.

financeguy said:
Strange that this thread about White Anglo-Saxon Christian terrorist killers gets so little attention, but threads about Muslim terrorists get so much attention here.

Strange that George W. Bush didn't mention, in his state of the nation address, the issue of an government organ of his close ally, the so-called 'United' Kingdom, colluding in terrorist murders.

Strange that there haven't been any debates on Fox News about this problem, and whether or not military intervention is a suitable response.

Strange that threads about state sponsored, state approved terrorism are largely ignored.

Strange that we don't want to talk about the evil in our midst, that dwells within us.

I guess it's easier to point the finger at other cultures.
Does the maoist insurgency in Nepal get a lot of threads? Does Chechnya get a lot of attention? Does ETA warrant many threads? How about the Palestinian Authority performing summary executions on accused traitors?

The scope of those nationalist conflicts is apart from the issue of Islamism; self-determination is not the imposition of religious autocracy over the entire globe, the aims, magnitude and means are different.

State sanctioned murder, ethnic clensing, torture will warrant attention - in the cases where attention is polically expedient and it will be neglected when it isn't.

A_Wanderer said:
State sanctioned murder, ethnic clensing, torture will warrant attention - in the cases where attention is polically expedient and it will be neglected when it isn't.

That is a fair point.

When it comes down to it, it doesn't particularly matter whether you, me or any number of opiniated FYM posters agree or disagree on which type of terrorism - whether nationalist, Marxist, Islamist, etc - is the 'worst' or 'most threatening' form of terrorism, whether from a regional, national or global security point of view - what is far more important is whether or not the broad powers that be - and presumably, in democracies, the general public - agree or disagree on what forms of terrorism are the most threatening forms.

With regard to Northern Ireland, I think that a degree of expediency was necessary in combatting terrorism, and I would actually have a grudging respect for the majority of the British Army and RUC, in so far as most of them did their jobs ireasonably well in difficult circumstances.

I will venture one comment on what financeguy brought up for discussion.

For over thirty years, the WORLD media did everything it could to make the Republican movement in NI look like a bunch of terrorists or supporters of terrorists.

While some republican supporters did support the military wing of the IRA which was responsible for some unnecessary killings in NI, the vast majority of republican supporters were peaceful people who did not agree with wanton violence.

But the WORLD media only wanted to focus on the sensationalism of republican violence, IGNORING the fact that at the same time, there was the same sort of wantom violence taking place on the loyalist side. :ohmy:

But we seldom ever heard about that senseless violence and most people do not associate the loyalists with violence, although as we see now, THERE WAS THE SAME VIOLENT FACTIONS ON THE LOYALIST SIDE!

And now we have very strong evidence that the NI POLICE ITSELF FOMENTED SOME OF THIS LOYALIST VIOLENCE. :eyebrow:

One of the reasons why the world media probably doesn't want to call attention to this news story is because this news story is an indictment of the shoddy coverage in the international media of the TRUTH of "the Troubles" in NI.

Thanks for an interesting discussion on this important news story.

:up:

You have just made me realise I left out the 'for':reject:

Anyway reunification of Ireland is slowly, slowly on the way, it will happen by default really, with the Republic investing so much in infrastructure lately between North and South such as the roads....I haven't heard anything from the DUP about the money the South is spending up here, i'm not sure they would particularly like it.

A week after this horrible report is released to the world, Sin Fein takes an HISTORIC LEAP OF FAITH FORWARD:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/6308175.stm

Sinn Fein members have voted to support policing in Northern Ireland for the first time in the party's history.

About 900 party members voted on the motion at a special party conference (ard fheis) in Dublin which was attended by more than 2,000 people.

Sinn Fein support for policing and DUP commitment to power-sharing are seen as essential to restoring NI devolution.

A six hour debate was cut short as the leadership forced a vote which was carried with 90% support.

The decision gives Sinn Fein's ruling executive the authority to declare its support for the PSNI and the criminal justice system when devolution is restored and policing and justice powers are transferred to the Northern Ireland Assembly.

You have created the potential to change the political landscape on this island forever

- Gerry Adams

Speaking after the vote, Sinn Fein President Gerry Adams said the decision was truly historic.

"Today you have created the potential to change the political landscape on this island forever," he said.

"You have created the opportunity to significantly advance our struggle and you have seized the opportunity to further our primary objective of united Ireland through the building of greater political strength."

Mr Adams also said that republicanism and unionism had reached an historic compromise.

"If the promise and hope of the peace process is to deliver peace and prosperity, that means beginning a real dialogue, an anti-sectarian dialogue, a dialogue which will move us to a real future," he added.

A spokesman for Tony Blair said the prime minister welcomed the "historic decision and recognised the leadership it has taken to get to this point".

Irish Taoiseach Bertie Ahern said the ballot was a "landmark decision" which opened the way to Northern Ireland power-sharing.

He said: "It is vital that we continue to maintain the momentum from the St Andrews agreement and the timetable set out in that agreement."

Northern Ireland Secretary Peter Hain described the vote as a breakthrough.

"What had always been a massive impediment to stable and lasting government (in Northern Ireland) has been removed," he said.

PSNI Chief Constable Sir Hugh Orde also welcomed the move.

"Our view has always been that policing is a public service which every member of the community should be able to access on an equal and equitable basis," he said.

"I have always said that no ideology or individual should stand between the public and that service and that the community is entitled to have their public representatives hold this police service to account."

Professor Sir Desmond Rea, chairman of the Policing Board, said he was now looking forward to Sinn Fein joining the body.
"Full political and community support for policing will be for the benefit of the whole community," he added.

DUP MP for East Antrim Sammy Wilson said he accepted Sinn Fein had taken a step forward.

He said: "The ultimate test of this, because there is no trust in Sinn Fein, is will they deliver on supporting policing before they get into government?

"They cannot get into government and not support the police."

'Massive step'

Ulster Unionist leader Sir Reg Empey said the move was "a massive step change in the republican psyche".

"It is an admission that the violent 'cause' has been abandoned and that Sinn Fein are prepared to support the forces of law and order in this part of the United Kingdom," he added.

SDLP leader Mark Durkan said: "They now need to sign with no ifs or buts. As Gerry Adams now accepts, nationalist areas need policing."

Mr Blair and Mr Ahern have identified Sinn Fein support for the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) as being crucial to persuading the DUP to share power in a devolved government with Sinn Fein by 26 March.

If an election does not occur, Stormont will be dissolved indefinitely.

The transitional assembly at Stormont will dissolve on 30 January in anticipation of an election on 7 March.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sinn Fein, even with the admission of NI police complicity in "the Troubles" during the 1990's, has taken a tremendous step forward in trying to re-ignite the Peace Process in NI. :yes:

We shall see if the loyalist side - headed by the DUP and supported by the UUP - will return this leap of faith and agree to restart the NI Peace Process.

Fingers crossed.... :sexywink:

Me too, financeguy - it seems like the only way to go.

Plus it squarely puts the DUP on target for "blame" if the Peace Process breaks down at Stormont.

Let's pray that doesn't happen, though, and that the pressure on Paisley and the DUP will be so strong that they will have to work with Sinn Fein.

For the Good of Northern Ireland. :hug:

i was born in Derry in 1968. my parents couldn't get a council house purely because they were catholic. the one available house within the area they lived went to a protestant couple with no children. i was my parent's second child. We moved to England and i have had a great life. however it saddens me when i think of the sacrifices my parents made. In paticular my mom who left all her family behind. i know the distance isn't huge but the cost of bringing up 5 children meant that my mom missed out on so much time with her sisters. she never wanted to leave ireland. sometimes politics stink!! i love going back to ireland with mom and dad with my own children and spending time with moms family. x

A bakery heals division it seems....the accents were certainly the worst i've heard...one was a Scottish accent and the other was a weird Dublin/Liverpudlian mix.

Back
Top Bottom