North American Union?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My dad watches Lou Dobbs, so this North American Union isn't anything new to me.

The narrator, the Federal Reserve and 9/11 conspiracy all sound as if they come from the online documentary "Zeitgeist", which I mentioned about a year ago on this board. (http://forum.interference.com/f199/zeitgeist-movie-179389.html)

I do think a world government is in the works, though through the UN and not through banks. But I think what this documentary and "Zeitgeist" are about is conspiracy in whatever has power: religion, the media, banks, etc. There's a lot of fear and distrust in those, and it leads to off-the-wall conspiracies like the V-chip.

I think this docuemtary and "Zeitgeist" is all fear mongering.

I think this docuemtary and "Zeitgeist" is all fear mongering.

It is. Conspiracy theories like this are downright embarrassing.

By the way, all three countries almost became one country in the 1850s, I believe, as there was a brief window of opportunity where this became possible peacefully. However, as the U.S. was embroiled in crippling "free state/slave state" politics, where the North didn't want Mexico to become slave states and the South didn't want Canada as free states, it collapsed in legislative bickering (kind of reminds you of the present a bit?).

If there ever was interest in creating a European Union-like framework for North America--and there's no indication that anyone is interested currently--you can certainly be sure that it would happen out in the open, with no secret societies pushing it together. I mean, seriously, do you really think you're going to wake up one morning and have the President say that we're now all one country and--oh yeah--now here's your new currency? I think people need to be more discriminating in the kinds of movies they watch. :|

The Europeon Union makes sense considering the vast ammount of countries in such a small area. Why would you need a NA Union when there are only two borders, one of which is basically unguarded. Makes no sense. And I couldnt stand looking at American money! Its all the same color!

Canadian money is prettier. My eyes are blinded by our green American bills!

Though, I would love to see more trade back and forth, between the U.S. Canada and Mexico. I think it would be good for all of our economies.

Personally, I think this would be a good start. Start with a NA Union, than an American Union, then in a generation or two we can merge with Europe, Asia, Africa, etc. That way, by the time the Aliens get here, we are all united - and ready for them.

Canada has oil sand. America can build the refinery. Mexico could import more clothing. These are just examples. Plus, we have an abundance of food. That could be donated to countries, who lack resources.

Ya we have oil. Lots of it, I'm actually sitting at work right on top of the oilsands. I hope to God that we stop sending oil down the pipeline so USA can refine it. We can build our own refineries, we are building refineries, just cant build them quick enough!

I have a love hate relationship with oil. If any of you Americans are out of a job come on up to Alberta and we'll put ya to work!

Personally, I think this would be a good start. Start with a NA Union, than an American Union, then in a generation or two we can merge with Europe, Asia, Africa, etc. That way, by the time the Aliens get here, we are all united - and ready for them.

:lol:

:hmm:

actually, you are right.

From Another Thread: Posted by Antrim

The Albertan economy is almost entirely dependent on oil. It is a horribly shortsighted plan for the future, where the province could see a complete economic collapse in 50 years. Albertans have elected moron after moron to office, their education system is horribly underfunded despite the surpluses, and so on.

Nobody has cared to diversify in Alberta. It is obvious to every sentient being on the planet that we are moving away from oil, particularly oil which is expensive to refine and pollutes significantly more than regular crude. But this seems to be a foreign concept out in Alberta where the politicians (and to be fair, most of the population) is in la-la land about the future because who the hell cares, they're making lots of $ now.

I think terrible things could come to the province; they may end up worse off than the Maritimes in the end.

Everything you say is true. Can't disagree with you one bit with the exception of the Maritimes comment. I cant see us turning into Newfoundland.

Unless you've worked up here you really don't understand just how labour intensive and dirty it is to get this oil out of the ground. It's hard to comprehend.

I just wish Albertans would start to relize that instead of just extracting the oil out of the dirt we should be refining it to its retail state and also start manufacturing product made from oil. I understand that we as a region depend too much on oil as our economic driver but diversifying the way the oil is brought to market would lessen the dependancy on extraction.

People really believe all of Alberta is some redneck place that only cares about oil and only votes PC but there are alot of people that are not right wing and care for the environment. But what can we do when the PC's have the electoral map in their favour.

You seem to be pissed off about Alberta, well try living here and explaining to people about diverification and slowing devolpment!

PS. Our education system is not underfunded. Alberta spends more per capita then anywhere else is North America. That is one of my biggest complaints, $10billion surpluses and nothing to show for it! (the only thing that is underfunded is the teachers pension liablity fund which will be sorted next contract)

Actually, Newfoundland may begin experiencing a boom with their offshore oil, depending on how things go. They certainly have built in a lot of breaks and exemptions there (Ontario and Alberta will say unfairly so).

The education system is underfunded in the sense that the money is being mismanaged, not that the overall totals are low. The Klein government pumped tens of millions into the UofA, for example, but failed to really make it competitive in the Canadian market, much less the international one. It will not crack top 5 even in this country, even with all the money it has. Why? Because it's been next to impossible to attract academic talent into Alberta. I remember when I worked surrounded by people seeking tenure and people being sought out by research institutes. Nobody at the top wanted to go to Alberta because they simply didn't see the provincial government there particularly open to scientific innovation. So this is a huge problem that the province is facing.

A lot of my peers went to, or are going in the near future, to Calgary law firms to benefit from the oil boom. The money being turned over there is enormous. But they depend almost exclusively on the oil industry, and it is very reminiscent to me of the American firm boom in recent years in real estate & securitization. And what do we see happening now? Firms in NYC are laying off 100 lawyers in a day - total bloodbath. Now think about what will happen in Alberta which hasn't diversified at all.

I don't live in Alberta - although if I cared to lower my taxes I would - but it's concerning because the shortsightedness there will affect the entire country eventually.

As for the electoral map - really this is only an argument maybe in a couple of ridings in Calgary/Edmonton. 95% of the province is simply too conservative politically to vote any other way, despite how you draw the electoral lines. :shrug:

Sorry, Newfoundland is its own entity, I just wish they all had work back home so I wasnt subjected to daily idoicy.

I see what you mean anitram about the UofA. That sector of the education system is underfunded in that sense. Though the UofA is very strong with regards to its medical research, especially as of late.

I can't for the life of me see happening in Alberta what has happened in the US. Its comaring apples and oranges, if apples were money hungrey banks and organes were dont give a shit oil companies. When Suncor announces a 10B$ plant they dont forsee the market falling out. Though in 50 years you're predictions are not far off. Me being in my 20s, I will probably see good construction work for the rest of my working life, but what about my kids?

If the govt were not so shortsighted, as you said, we could be fully diversified come the time oil becomes less of a factor in out lives (if that ever happens at all). When it was becoming apparent in Alberta that infustructure was falling behind at an alarming rate and people were calling on the PCs to slow the number of plants being approved Stelmach said 'he would not touch the brake'. I suppose that says it all.

On the political side of things: no other party appears to be electable, and what I mean by that is no good candidates want to run for the losing party, or run for a party that has no chance of ever being elected. The liberals can't field leaders that can connect with rural voters and in the case of the last election can't even connect with urban voters. Sad. I think with the right leader the Libs could make some gains, but that leader is no where to be found. Also with the split votes of the NDP and Libs its nearly a lost cause. Too bad they cant even agree on getting the PCs out of power!

I can't for the life of me see happening in Alberta what has happened in the US. Its comaring apples and oranges, if apples were money hungrey banks and organes were dont give a shit oil companies. When Suncor announces a 10B$ plant they dont forsee the market falling out. Though in 50 years you're predictions are not far off. Me being in my 20s, I will probably see good construction work for the rest of my working life, but what about my kids?

Yeah, that's exactly it.

It's a large part of why I didn't go out west, although the opportunities are great right now. I just don't see things being sustainable in a few decades, which would be okay if they were diversifying, but they are simply not. Plus, the eastern seaboard will always be the financial centre of the continent, and I prefer that to oil-related work.

Are you in Fort McMurray? Those real estate prices are getting nuts out there too.

Are you in Fort McMurray? Those real estate prices are getting nuts out there too.

Fort Mac is beyond "getting" nuts, they've been there for a while. You couldn't pay me enough to live there.

I think it is sad how Newfoundland workers are basically migrant workers for Alberta. People come home like it's the greatest thing ever. But I believe aside from economic costs in the future for Alberta, the social costs to the province of NL will be immense as families are split up by having fathers leaving their families for weeks at a time, come home for a week, spend lots of money out of guilt and go back. I don't mean to say a family should have a father or be traditional, I'm talking about families where the father used to be around all the time. Now kids only see their dad once a month and marriages are already being broken up due to stress, infidelity,etc.

ok, i'm not as intelligent as the rest of you guys so i have a couple of questions. if you can answer them in the most simple manner i will appreciate it.

1: what is the drawback back to having a 1 world government? does it necessarily mean we are moving toward a "dystopian" type society as shown in this clip?

2: would it be possible to have a totally free society that is safe/secure as well? i mean does security= a few lost civil liberties? or would more free society be on the edge or will be anarchy?

I have my house in Edmonton but work 3 weeks up here then home for 4 or 5 days. Houses up here are stupid! I get subsistence through the union agreement, 195$ a day tax free. works out to about 4500$/month. Rent is 700$/month, plus other expenses (food, gas). Its all relative a suppose, if you clear 4000$ a week a 3000$ mortgage payment doesnt seem all that big.

With regards to newfies out here, trev. They have it the best of the lot. They get their flights home, get lay offs when they want, and get to go home to an economy that doesnt force them to work day after day. We in Alberta still work away from families but have to deal with the long term effects of this economy. If people from other areas of the country dont like it, simple, quit and go home. Most people from out of Alberta are coming here and undermining our wages and agreements, so by all means, go home.

Back
Top Bottom