Non-issue? Bush waiting 7 minutes on 9/11 - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2004, 02:19 PM   #76
Refugee

Local Time: 02:30 PM
Dread, nbc, if you don't think it's a subject worth discussing then don't come into the thread and further the debate.

Old 08-13-2004, 02:21 PM   #77
Refugee

Local Time: 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

No kidding....

You know its bad in FYM when a thread on AIDS gets less posts and views than this.
Here Here! Unfortunately, the AIDS threads always fall down the board rather quickly.

Old 08-13-2004, 02:24 PM   #78
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy
Dread, nbc, if you don't think it's a subject worth discussing then don't come into the thread and further the debate.

Ok dad...thanks for the advice
Old 08-13-2004, 02:48 PM   #79
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Second guessing 3 years later
I think this comment is uncalled for. It's not like people here that are reacting to the footage held their thoughts for 3 years. They have just seen the footage or are commenting to this thread which is current.

I can understand why posters here would expect the leader of a country to politely excuse themselves and take command. I can understand how he could finish reading to the children, collecting his thoughts briefly and then take command. I don't find fault in what he did for the 7 minutes.

The thing that irkes me the most about this thread is it seems so partison. If a Democrat (mainly Bill Clinton) did what Bush did during those 7 minutes - a lot of you would see things the other way.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:50 PM   #80
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by swizzlestick

Your right, I wouldn't know if Moore said it was the title of the book. I didn't see the movie. I tend to stay away from propaganda. But I did find this link that says he did call it that.

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/conten...ta_talk_radosh
If you tend to stay away from propaganda, then I sure hope you don't listen to or read any conservative commentators as the recite Republican talking points.

Quote:
Whether or not it makes it easy to ridicule him? Come on, ThatGuy. It was stated earlier on this board that it "set the tone of the film". Why else is the title important?
The title being important in no way makes it more or less true. That was my point. Sure, Moore could have said Bush was reading a children's story, and yes using the title made it more funny. But it is the title of the story, whether you like it or not.

Quote:
[Yes, he sat there for 7 minutes. The man is a human being. Think back at what you did when you first heard the news. I was stunned. I literally couldn't talk. No one in my office could talk. This was Pearl Harbor times 10! Before 9/11 nothing like this had ever happened with the exception of Pearl Harbor. There was no standard protocol on how to properly evacuate the President in the case Terrorists slam our own planes into the World Trade Center. I would assume the Secret Service in those 7 minutes were determining a safe exit for the President. By the time Air Force One was at 30,000 ft, they still had no idea on where they were going.
Yes, I sat there for several minutes myself, stunned beyond beleif. However I did not have the job of running th country, nor was I elected to do so. Being 3000 miles away from the tragedy and having no involvement in the running of the country, nor the ability to do anything about anything, I had no responsibilities keeping me from looking stupidly at the TV screen. None of this was true for Bush. Comparing the actions of regular citizens with the actions of the Commander in Chief of the US is comparing apples and oranges.

Quote:
Really? For one Savage and O'Reilly are Independents. And secondly you are once again assuming something that we will never know. I can't can't speak for Limbaugh, Hannity and Coulter or any other American, but I seriously doubt during that time in America, there would be criticism. And remember you are the one attacking the President for sitting there for 7 minutes, not Limbaugh, Hannity, or Coulter.
O'Reilly is a registered Republican, not an independent. But you're right, I am assuming something that we'll never know. And I'm not "attacking" Bush, I'm just questioning his actions. Find one place where I've used the sorts of words to describe Bush like you might find in a Coulter story or in one of Rush's rants. Plus, my audience is fairly limited.

Quote:
Thank you.
You're welcome.

Quote:
I don't know this. I wasn't there. There probably could have been 4 or 5 different options. But I will take the word of the "Principal" who was there over this assumption that is clearly politically motivated.
Well now you can "be there." Here's a video.
http://www.buzzflash.com/analysis/2002/06/scsb.bush.mov
Would it have been so hard for the President to politely excuse himself?

Quote:
No it is not silly. Kerry made it an issue last week when he said "I would have sat up out of my chair...Blah blah blah". We are trying to compare the 2 men who are running for President. Kerry wasn't the only Senator that stood in the Capitol for 45 minutes. Republicans and Democrats alike stood there stunned...as they should have.
No, it is silly, because these people had no power to do anything about the situation, unlike the president. What could Kerry have done in those 45 minutes? Absolutely nothing, and that's true without the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. What could Bush have done? Lots. He had the authority to have any other planes that posed a risk shot down by the military, for example. Hell, basic curiousity should have driven him out of that chair. We were all watching it on TV, we knew what was going on. All he knew is that the second plane had hit and we were "under attack." Wouldn't you want to know what was going on?

Quote:
Thank God for that. If Kerry were Commander-In-Chief, Saddam Hussein would still be in power, still raping and pillaging women, still killing hundreds of thousands of people, still acquiring WMD's, and God forbid giving them to terrorists like Usama Bin Laden, Muqtada al-Sadr, or Abu Maseb al Zarqwari to use against Israel, Europe, or the US.
Not touching that with a ten foot pole. That's for another thread.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:51 PM   #81
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Ok dad...thanks for the advice
Hey, don't "dad" me. Besides, you started it!
Old 08-13-2004, 03:06 PM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]Originally posted by pub crawler
Finally, I've written it a number of times on this forum (and I won't bother quoting from whitehouse.gov again): many of us who oppose this invasion heard Bush addressing the nation and the world prior to and after the invasion and we very clearly heard Bush linking Sadaam Hussein and Iraq to the events of 911. [/Q]

From the Democratic Vice-Chariman of the 9-11 Commission on ABC's This Week:

Commissioner Lee Hamilton: I've looked at these statements quite carefully from the administration -- they are not claiming that there was a collaborative relationship between Saddam Hussein and Al Qaeda, with regard to the attacks on the United States .

Enough already...
Old 08-13-2004, 05:11 PM   #83
Blue Crack Distributor

stupidest discussion ever... john kerry stated that after the second plane hit he just sat and stared at the tv for 45 minutes, without a thought in his head he was so stunned... it was a stunning moment for everyone. i was at school in new hampshire the morning of 9/11... i sat in my dorm room stunned for about an hour before it dawned on me that shit... i know dozens of people who work in those towers, not to mention firemen and policemen... the president is just a man... waiting 7 minutes in that classroom with the children is not an issue... PERIOD. instead of talking about what bush or kerry didn't do, why don't we put the focus back on what people like rudy giuliani, bernard kerrik, thomas von essen, mychal judge and the rest of the fdny, nypd and papd did that morning.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:15 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Or put the focus on what the family members did/felt watching that realizing what was happening to their loved ones
Old 08-13-2004, 06:30 PM   #85
New Yorker

I wasn't aware that he went thru the extra 20 minute photo-op. This really changes my mind.
I think he choked and then cared about the photo-op more than us.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:37 PM   #86
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

to Headache and MrsSpringsteen

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:10 PM   #87
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:30 PM
LOL. Great thread.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:24 PM   #88
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:30 PM
Ive noticed how everyone is bodyswerving Bush watching the first plane hit the tower when it was impossible,unless he really did see it ?????????? makes you wonder

Quote:
That's not true, actually. Secret Service agents had set up a TV in a nearby classroom and were able to watch the second plane hit the second tower. There's a photo of Bush on the phone while a TV over his shoulder plays a rebroadcast of the second tower getting hit.

What's troubling is that less than three months after the attacks Bush claimed to have seen the first plane hit the first tower just before he went into the classroom. That footage was not aired until the next day, so there's no way that could have happened. And he didn't just tell the story once, he told it twice.

Old 08-17-2004, 07:08 AM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:30 PM

Quote:
What's troubling is that less than three months after the attacks Bush claimed to have seen the first plane hit the first tower just before he went into the classroom. That footage was not aired until the next day, so there's no way that could have happened. And he didn't just tell the story once, he told it twice.
Does this mean he's now officially a liar?
Old 08-17-2004, 08:37 AM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

those are the kinds of things we shouldn't talk about it. its unseemly and unthinkable.

yet questions remain.