Non-issue? Bush waiting 7 minutes on 9/11 - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2004, 05:05 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:43 PM
I'm no fan of Bush, but I can't say I see any particularly damning evidence in the 7-minute footage.

Old 08-12-2004, 07:53 AM   #47
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

That is incorrect...this was known long before Moore.

And no matter how many planes were in the air....two investigations by congress and the 9/11 commission have not indicated that the Presidents actions were a problem.
I'm saying I never saw any of the main media cover this.

Yes hindsight is 20/20. We all know now that his actions didn't result in any problem that's not the question. And the question, like some have brought up, isn't about whether he could get on a hotline and jump into retaliation. The question is why would our fearless leader not excuse himself calmly and jump to his position as protector of our country get briefed and start to find out right away what can be done. People start mentioning communication breakdowns and so forth...so what? Bush knew nothing but the fact that we were under attack and he waited and hesitated to take a role in finding out what can be done. This isn't what I look for in some who calls themselves a leader.

Old 08-12-2004, 08:10 AM   #48
you are what you is

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Quote:
"Bush made the right decision in remaining calm, in not rushing out of the classroom."

Lee Hamilton, Democrat, Vice-Chairman of the 9/11 Commission
I don't think anyone would have preferred it if he had started shouting to the kids that they should run for the lifes because the country is under attack and push them away in a bid to make for the door first

I would have done exactly the same as what Bush did probably
but I do think I would expect he president to explain to the kids that he had to go because of urgent business and get all the information possibly about this when the country is under attack

I don't think Bush really did much wrong
but to say he made a right decision is an awful stretch
he didn't make any decision really
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-12-2004, 10:59 PM   #49
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:43 PM
Re: Re: Re: Non-issue? Bush waiting 7 minutes on 9/11

Quote:

Mike Moore is right...Bush has mislead us.

I guess I'm offering a concession here, Dread, in that I will concede that much of this debate on the invasion of Iraq has to do with the perception of those debating.

For example, at the time David Kaye's report came out, someone posted Kaye's conclusions here on Interference as though these conclusions somehow vindicated the Bush administration, when all I saw were a bunch of "if's," possibly's" and "potentially's." The fact is, U.S. troops have been in Iraq for what, almost a year-and-a-half? And still no WMD's found. I will add, though, that for the purposes of the Bush Administration saving face, they've found all the evidence they needed to find (i.e., almost nothing).

Another point: Above you posted Bush's speech in which he lays out several seemingly rational points as to why the invasion was necessary. Interestingly though, shortly after the invasion the U.S. battle cry was that we were saving the poor oppressed Iraqis from their tryannical oppressor. Here's what I want to know: why weren't all these concerned Americans marching in the streets, why was their virtually NO national debate or discussion about Hussein's tyranny until AFTER we invaded? I believe that the vast majority of Americans didn't give a flying f**k about Sadaam gassing Kurds until it became convenient to do so -- i.e., the fact that Ameicans could suddenly believe we were saving oppressed Iraqis helped many Americans feel like their soldiers were being sent to do something noble. (I'm not faulting the soldiers here, I'm faulting their commander in chief).

Finally, I've written it a number of times on this forum (and I won't bother quoting from whitehouse.gov again): many of us who oppose this invasion heard Bush addressing the nation and the world prior to and after the invasion and we very clearly heard Bush linking Sadaam Hussein and Iraq to the events of 911.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:47 AM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:43 AM
Ahem, 17 Sarin Shells, Cyclosarin and Mustard Gas as well as the remnants of a nuclear program. I think you should say no stockpiles of WMD have been found. But technically we have found WMD and Weapons Programs.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:06 AM   #51
Refugee

Local Time: 12:43 PM
17 sarin shells?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Jul2.html

Remnants of a nuclear program?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3556714.stm
Old 08-13-2004, 04:16 AM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

I wasnt talking about the Polish "discovery", I was refering to the numbers given by Rumsfeld in relation to the number found after the roadside bomb that definitely had binary sarin agent. It is a falsehood to say that Iraq has no WMD, because > 0 is not zero, it would be wiser to say no stockpiles or no significant quantities of WMD.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:26 AM   #53
Refugee

Local Time: 12:43 PM
You're right, 1>0, even if that 1 is so old that it's "virtually ineffective as a chemical weapon."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004May17.html
Old 08-13-2004, 04:44 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:43 PM
Ok, I don't know about you, but when I found out about this I roke down crying. I had WAY too much on my mind and I know all of you can relate.

The president is a human being. He was shocked and sad and EXTREMELY worried and he was probably trying his hardest to to figure out the best thing to do. I bet NONE of us could have stayed as calm and collected as him.

Also, seriously, moore is a complete liar. I don't understand why you respect this guy, he's a complete moron. He's more deceptive than Bush will ever be.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:02 AM   #55
you are what you is

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
I bet NONE of us could have stayed as calm and collected as him.
I'll take that bet

really now
Bush didn't do anything wrong here
he didn't do anything that shows extraordinary skills either
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-13-2004, 05:36 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:43 PM
What I find a little strange is Bush saying he watched the planes hit the towers, when there wasnt a tv set turned on at the time.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:46 AM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Most of us have watched the planes hit the towers, albeit on television but still watched. If he had said, I was there when the planes hit the towers, then you should rip him a new one.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:42 AM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:43 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Non-issue? Bush waiting 7 minutes on 9/11

Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler

Another point: Above you posted Bush's speech in which he lays out several seemingly rational points as to why the invasion was necessary. Interestingly though, shortly after the invasion the U.S. battle cry was that we were saving the poor oppressed Iraqis from their tryannical oppressor. Here's what I want to know: why weren't all these concerned Americans marching in the streets, why was their virtually NO national debate or discussion about Hussein's tyranny until AFTER we invaded? I believe that the vast majority of Americans didn't give a flying f**k about Sadaam gassing Kurds until it became convenient to do so -- i.e., the fact that Ameicans could suddenly believe we were saving oppressed Iraqis helped many Americans feel like their soldiers were being sent to do something noble. (I'm not faulting the soldiers here, I'm faulting their commander in chief).
Unfortunately....that was not Bush's speech it was Clintons.....

and you proved my point for me.....Clinton's words are extremely similar to Bush's.

Which leads me to believe that they were both being fed the same intelligence information and their positions were not far from each others other than 9/11 changes the spectrum through which President Bush and others looked at the situation.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:52 AM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Most of us have watched the planes hit the towers, albeit on television but still watched. If he had said, I was there when the planes hit the towers, then you should rip him a new one.
alright.

according to his words he saw the first plane hit before going in to the classroom and was then told about the second.

mixing up words again? perhaps. but his explanation is pretty well formed, according to the transcript.

there are inconsistencies that no one is willing to address and that is a sad injustice. this is something moore obviously wouldn't touch.

from cnn's transcript of the bush town hall meeting
from the white house's transcript of the bush town hall meeting

Quote:
G. W. Bush

QUESTION: One thing, Mr. President, is that you have no idea how much you've done for this country, and another thing is that how did you feel when you heard about the terrorist attack?

BUSH: Well...

(APPLAUSE)

Thank you, Jordan (ph).

Well, Jordan (ph), you're not going to believe what state I was in when I heard about the terrorist attack. I was in Florida. And my chief of staff, Andy Card -- actually I was in a classroom talking about a reading program that works. And I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower -- the TV was obviously on, and I use to fly myself, and I said, "There's one terrible pilot." And I said, "It must have been a horrible accident."

But I was whisked off there -- I didn't have much time to think about it, and I was sitting in the classroom, and Andy Card, my chief who was sitting over here walked in and said, "A second plane has hit the tower. America's under attack."

And Jordan (ph), I wasn't sure what to think at first. You know, I grew up in a period of time where the idea of America being under attack never entered my mind -- just like your daddy and mother's mind probably. And I started thinking hard in that very brief period of time about what it meant to be under attack. I knew that when I got all the facts that we were under attack, there would be hell to pay for attacking America.
edited for formatting...
Old 08-13-2004, 09:14 AM   #60
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:43 PM
I think that's even worse.